Front mount bike carrier

Lloyd Hanning

Guest
Well, I've been looking for a bike carrier for my '04 Jeep Wrangler. I
thought I could find a carrier that would quickly mount to the front of the
jeep, and could be removed when not in use. I wanted to do this as I don't
have a trailer hitch and the expense of installing a trailer hitch then
getting a carrier, well, it would be cheaper to just get a front carrier.
I've been searching, and I can't find one! Can somebody tell me if they do
make a front carrier and where I could get one?

TIA

Lloyd

On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 02:16:46 GMT, "Lloyd Hanning"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Well, I've been looking for a bike carrier for my '04 Jeep Wrangler. I
>thought I could find a carrier that would quickly mount to the front of the
>jeep, and could be removed when not in use. I wanted to do this as I don't
>have a trailer hitch and the expense of installing a trailer hitch then
>getting a carrier, well, it would be cheaper to just get a front carrier.
>I've been searching, and I can't find one! Can somebody tell me if they do
>make a front carrier and where I could get one?

There isn't one. In most US states, racking a bike on the front of a
vehicle of that size would violate regulations concerning the
obstruction of the headlights and/or the driver's line of sight. It
also causes you to get bugs in your chain, ders, seat, etc.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

Lloyd Hanning wrote:
> Well, I've been looking for a bike carrier for my '04 Jeep Wrangler. I
> thought I could find a carrier that would quickly mount to the front of the
> jeep, and could be removed when not in use. I wanted to do this as I don't
> have a trailer hitch and the expense of installing a trailer hitch then
> getting a carrier, well, it would be cheaper to just get a front carrier.
> I've been searching, and I can't find one! Can somebody tell me if they do
> make a front carrier and where I could get one?

Can you imagine what it would do to a pedestrian?

On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 18:41:58 +0000, Zog The Undeniable wrote:

> Lloyd Hanning wrote:
>> Well, I've been looking for a bike carrier for my '04 Jeep Wrangler. I
>> thought I could find a carrier that would quickly mount to the front of
>> the jeep, and could be removed when not in use. I wanted to do this as I
>> don't have a trailer hitch and the expense of installing a trailer hitch
>> then getting a carrier, well, it would be cheaper to just get a front
>> carrier. I've been searching, and I can't find one! Can somebody tell me
>> if they do make a front carrier and where I could get one?

> Can you imagine what it would do to a pedestrian?

Or a cyclist?

Mike

Lloyd Hanning wrote:
> Well, I've been looking for a bike carrier for my '04 Jeep Wrangler. I
> thought I could find a carrier that would quickly mount to the front of the
> jeep, and could be removed when not in use. I wanted to do this as I don't
> have a trailer hitch and the expense of installing a trailer hitch then
> getting a carrier, well, it would be cheaper to just get a front carrier.
> I've been searching, and I can't find one! Can somebody tell me if they do
> make a front carrier and where I could get one?
>
> TIA
>
> Lloyd

The Saris Bones 3 bike rack can be configured to mount on the back of
almost any vehicle. I would think it could also work just as well on
the front of the vehicle. Only possible concern would be the bottom
two straps that attach to the bottom lip of the trunk lid. If your
front bumper has an open back, the metal hooks could grab it. Modern
cars with molded plastic front bumpers may not have an easy way to
attach the bottom straps.