OT - plod and words

Clive George

Guest
Just heard this on the radio and had to share it:

"We are forensicating the scene"

cheers,
clive

On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 17:08:13 -0000, "Clive George"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Just heard this on the radio and had to share it:
>
>"We are forensicating the scene"

He is clearly more edjumaketed than you.

"Bob"

Clive George wrote:
> Just heard this on the radio and had to share it:
>
> "We are forensicating the scene"

Marvelous. Never let it be said (is it ever) that the British Police
aren't leaders of the free world. With a grasp of English such as that,
one can only imagine the simplicity with which he views law and order.

Was it on BBC radio? If so an approximate time and channel would allow
me to pass that on to my mother who would love it.

Jon

"Clive George" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Just heard this on the radio and had to share it:
>
> "We are forensicating the scene"
>
> cheers,
> clive

This isn't off topic though...

Poor old Florence, who is Lionel Blair's kidnapped dog. Apparently it looks
like a dog on a tin of dog food. (She may be in a tin of dog food by now).
Lionel broke down in tears as he was being interviewed. His friends have
been going out with night vision goggles shouting 'Florence'.

Which brings me to the point - are night vision goggles any use for cycling
(at night, before some wag...oops, back to dogs)

Peter

"Clive George" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Just heard this on the radio and had to share it:
>
> "We are forensicating the scene"
>
> cheers,
> clive

CSI the other night indeed. Mde me chuckle. Words to the efect" Has the
scene been forensicated yet?"

Cheers, helen s

"Jon is Away!" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Clive George wrote:
>> Just heard this on the radio and had to share it:
>>
>> "We are forensicating the scene"

> Marvelous. Never let it be said (is it ever) that the British Police
> aren't leaders of the free world. With a grasp of English such as that,
> one can only imagine the simplicity with which he views law and order.
>
> Was it on BBC radio? If so an approximate time and channel would allow
> me to pass that on to my mother who would love it.

Radio 4, PM, probably about 5 minutes in. The item on the big robbery. And
hang on for Eddie Mair's comment afterwards.
(6m25s, 12m00s)

cheers,
clive

"Clive George" <[email protected]> wrote:
| Just heard this on the radio and had to share it:
|
| "We are forensicating the scene"

Are you surprised by the traditional verbing of "forensic" (surely,
they've always forensiced things, at least since they have had forensic
techniques, but I have never known whether they should spell it with
a double -cc-) or are you amused by the intrusive -ate? Do you
orientate your map, or do you orient it? (And why, now maps no longer
centre on Jerusalen, do we not borealate them?) Do you hyphen long
words or do you hyphenate them?

I'd rather be pedalating my bike.

Peter wrote:
> Which brings me to the point - are night vision goggles any use for cycling
> (at night, before some wag...oops, back to dogs)

Not if other people are using lights, cuz they white-out (well,
greeny-white-out) something terrible when you see a bright light
source. Never used one on your SA-80?

Response to Geraint Jones:

Any noun can be verbed. I had an online discussion in Another Place
years ago with a Merkin who held that "burglarise" was Obviously the
shortest and simplest word for breaking and entering.

--
Mark, UK
"When the enterprising burglar's not a-burglarising

Mark McNeill wrote:
> Response to Geraint Jones:
>
> Any noun can be verbed. I had an online discussion in Another Place
> years ago with a Merkin who held that "burglarise" was Obviously the
> shortest and simplest word for breaking and entering.

Wandering even further OT, I've had conversations with several Merkins
who insist that if their house had been burglarised (sic) whilst they
were out, they would have been "robbed".

R.

Clive George wrote:

> Just heard this on the radio and had to share it:
>
> "We are forensicating the scene"

Blimey - didn't know that Linguaphone had released a "Learn to speak
George W. Bush" package ;-)

David Belcher

[email protected] wrote:
| Any noun can be verbed. I had an online discussion in Another Place
| years ago with a Merkin who held that "burglarise" was Obviously the
| shortest and simplest word for breaking and entering.

True, but an elephant, because forensic isn't a noun.
Er, well, it wasn't recently. I suppose it might be by
now. I am worried about whether "to burglar" is transitive
or intransitive, and what exactly it might mean.

Having pedalated into work, I am now thinking of how
I might find an excuse to bicyclate home at lunchtime.

("It's not irrlevant, it's a hippopotamus.")

> Any noun can be verbed.

Not to mention adjectivised and adverbed. I encountered the following
judicial quote as a law student many years ago: "... intending
burglariously to enter ..." Google for that adverb and you'll find
numerous instances from the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries.

Thanks for producing the G&S quote I was desperately trying to excavate
from my memory, by the way.

--

Ian

To e-mail me, restore my initials to their proper place.
Ian is my middle name.

On 24 Feb 2006 01:35:03 -0800 someone who may be "David E. Belcher"
<[email protected]> wrote this:-

>> Just heard this on the radio and had to share it:
>>
>> "We are forensicating the scene"

>Blimey - didn't know that Linguaphone had released a "Learn to speak
>George W. Bush" package ;-)

I too wondered about the way Mr Bush mangles language. Let's hope
the police have rather more in the way of information and rather
more in the way of processing ability than Mr Bush and his cronies.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

POHB wrote:
> "forensing" would be more elegant

No, it's only dirty dishes that are forensing before they go in the
dishwasher.

R.

POHB wrote:
> "forensing" would be more elegant

but the scandinavians would think that is something to do with picking
up the pieces

...d

Clive George wrote:
> Just heard this on the radio and had to share it:
>
> "We are forensicating the scene"

and Robin Cousins had the skaters 'medalling' last night.

--
Holly, in France
Gite to let in Dordogne, now with pool.

David Hansen wrote:

> I too wondered about the way Mr Bush mangles language. Let's hope
> the police have rather more in the way of information and rather
> more in the way of processing ability than Mr Bush and his cronies.

Don't misunderestimate them.

--
Dave...