Ahh,..progress...

Jake Lee

Guest
(just a silly progress report with no particular point...)

On a lark, I decided to do a nice 15 miler today on my old marathon training stomping grounds,...A
change of scenery is always a good thing, plus I thought it would be nice to strap on the HR monitor
for this course (for the first time) and establish some kind of benchmark for later.

Well, even though I have had 4 consecutive running days prior to today, 2 of them 'hard days', my
competitive nature got to me and today's run turned into a time-trial on this somewhat hilly 15 mile
measured course.

I was afraid for the first few miles that I was setting myself up for major dissapointment, as I
(for some reason) just felt like I was going to end up running pretty much the same speed that I was
doing before on a typical training run months ago.

However, when I hit the 1/2 way turnaround point in 56:30 (7:32 avg pace) feeling a bit tired but
still strong, I was feeling quite pleased!(I actually did a double-take looking at my watch)...I
stuck to it and finished in just a hair over 1:52 for an average pace of 7:28 overall, including a
8:30 first mile, and stopping for traffic/water/gu a few times along the way.

That pace turns out to be :12 faster than the good 1/2 marathon race I ran in late January, which
was on a significantly easier (and less warm!) course compared to today's.

It would seem that the weekly soccer and treadmill tempo sessions are doing some good!

That's gotta be one the best feelings a runner can get, when he/she pushes themselves for a
race/time-trial and finishes *way* better than expected...realizing that your hard work is really
paying off...My only 2 previous races were both completed pretty much in the time I expected, so
this is a first for me, so please excuse my newbie excitement.

average HR: 156, 82%HRmax, Max HR: 167, 88%HRmax,...sound about right for a 15 mile "race"? Temps
were in the high 60's, low 70's so the HR may be a bit higher, compared to a regular morning race.

I feel great after the run today, but I sense an easy week coming on next week...That SF Chronicle
marathon (tough course) in late July is looking more and more likely now.

(end of silly progress report with no particular point)

Good for you! I know that feeling and it's priceless! ;)

"Jake Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> (just a silly progress report with no particular point...)
>
> On a lark, I decided to do a nice 15 miler today on my old marathon
training
> stomping grounds,...A change of scenery is always a good thing, plus I thought it would be nice to
> strap on the HR monitor for this course (for
the
> first time) and establish some kind of benchmark for later.
>
> Well, even though I have had 4 consecutive running days prior to today, 2
of
> them 'hard days', my competitive nature got to me and today's run turned into a time-trial on this
> somewhat hilly 15 mile measured course.
>
> I was afraid for the first few miles that I was setting myself up for
major
> dissapointment, as I (for some reason) just felt like I was going to end
up
> running pretty much the same speed that I was doing before on a typical training run months ago.
>
> However, when I hit the 1/2 way turnaround point in 56:30 (7:32 avg pace) feeling a bit tired but
> still strong, I was feeling quite pleased!(I actually did a double-take looking at my watch)...I
> stuck to it and
finished
> in just a hair over 1:52 for an average pace of 7:28 overall, including a
> 8:30 first mile, and stopping for traffic/water/gu a few times along the way.
>
> That pace turns out to be :12 faster than the good 1/2 marathon race I ran in late January, which
> was on a significantly easier (and less warm!)
course
> compared to today's.
>
> It would seem that the weekly soccer and treadmill tempo sessions are
doing
> some good!
>
> That's gotta be one the best feelings a runner can get, when he/she pushes themselves for a
> race/time-trial and finishes *way* better than expected...realizing that your hard work is really
> paying off...My only 2 previous races were both completed pretty much in the time I expected, so
> this is a first for me, so please excuse my newbie excitement.
>
> average HR: 156, 82%HRmax, Max HR: 167, 88%HRmax,...sound about right for
> 15 mile "race"? Temps were in the high 60's, low 70's so the HR may be a
bit
> higher, compared to a regular morning race.
>
> I feel great after the run today, but I sense an easy week coming on next week...That SF Chronicle
> marathon (tough course) in late July is looking more and more likely now.
>
> (end of silly progress report with no particular point)

What a great run, Jake! Thanks for sharing. Michelle Jake Lee <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> (just a silly progress report with no particular point...)
>
> On a lark, I decided to do a nice 15 miler today on my old marathon
training
> stomping grounds,...A change of scenery is always a good thing, plus I thought it would be nice to
> strap on the HR monitor for this course (for
the
> first time) and establish some kind of benchmark for later.
>
> Well, even though I have had 4 consecutive running days prior to today, 2
of
> them 'hard days', my competitive nature got to me and today's run turned into a time-trial on this
> somewhat hilly 15 mile measured course.
>
> I was afraid for the first few miles that I was setting myself up for
major
> dissapointment, as I (for some reason) just felt like I was going to end
up
> running pretty much the same speed that I was doing before on a typical training run months ago.
>
> However, when I hit the 1/2 way turnaround point in 56:30 (7:32 avg pace) feeling a bit tired but
> still strong, I was feeling quite pleased!(I actually did a double-take looking at my watch)...I
> stuck to it and
finished
> in just a hair over 1:52 for an average pace of 7:28 overall, including a
> 8:30 first mile, and stopping for traffic/water/gu a few times along the way.
>
> That pace turns out to be :12 faster than the good 1/2 marathon race I ran in late January, which
> was on a significantly easier (and less warm!)
course
> compared to today's.
>
> It would seem that the weekly soccer and treadmill tempo sessions are
doing
> some good!
>
> That's gotta be one the best feelings a runner can get, when he/she pushes themselves for a
> race/time-trial and finishes *way* better than expected...realizing that your hard work is really
> paying off...My only 2 previous races were both completed pretty much in the time I expected, so
> this is a first for me, so please excuse my newbie excitement.
>
> average HR: 156, 82%HRmax, Max HR: 167, 88%HRmax,...sound about right for
> 15 mile "race"? Temps were in the high 60's, low 70's so the HR may be a
bit
> higher, compared to a regular morning race.
>
> I feel great after the run today, but I sense an easy week coming on next week...That SF Chronicle
> marathon (tough course) in late July is looking more and more likely now.
>
> (end of silly progress report with no particular point)

"Jake Lee" <[email protected]> wrote:

> That's gotta be one the best feelings a runner can get, when he/she pushes themselves for a
> race/time-trial and finishes *way* better than expected...realizing that your hard work is really
> paying off...

What a great, inspiring post. Congrats, Jake. You've got some impressive speed going on!

On a totally different scale, I caught a glimpse of a similar feeling today when testing out how
fast I could still go after my winter break, and did a little 2miler at 8:42 without dying. ;) Seems
pretty trivial but for me, that's quite an accomplishment right now.

cheers, nina

"Jake Lee" <[email protected]> wrote:

>average HR: 156, 82%HRmax, Max HR: 167, 88%HRmax,...sound about right for a 15 mile "race"? Temps
>were in the high 60's, low 70's so the HR may be a bit higher, compared to a regular morning race.

I don't want to get you any more excited than you already are, but those HR figures would suggest
that it could soon (if not already) be about right for a 26 mile race in the morning, on the flat
and with decent weather...

"steve common" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Jake Lee" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >average HR: 156, 82%HRmax, Max HR: 167, 88%HRmax,...sound about right for
> >15 mile "race"? Temps were in the high 60's, low 70's so the HR may be a
bit
> >higher, compared to a regular morning race.
>
> I don't want to get you any more excited than you already are, but those HR figures would suggest
> that it could soon (if not already) be about right for a 26 mile race in the morning, on the flat
> and with decent weather...

And I would concur.

Roger.

"nina stoessinger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Jake Lee" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > That's gotta be one the best feelings a runner can get, when he/she
pushes
> > themselves for a race/time-trial and finishes *way* better than expected...realizing that your
> > hard work is really paying off...
>
> What a great, inspiring post. Congrats, Jake. You've got some impressive
speed
> going on!
>
> On a totally different scale, I caught a glimpse of a similar feeling
today when
> testing out how fast I could still go after my winter break, and did a
little
> 2miler at 8:42 without dying. ;) Seems pretty trivial but for me, that's
quite an
> accomplishment right now.
>

> cheers, nina

Thanks nina, and all for the nice replies. Now I just need to be careful to not expect another
unexpected surge in fitness any time soon, heh. Like so many other things in life, it's not
necessarily the absolute outcome that makes one happy or dissapointed, it's more about the outcome
*relative to the expecation* that does the trick.

I guess all the 'fun' running I've been doing on unmeasured courses has helped in this way...Having
no idea what actual pace I'm running (aside from 'hard', 'easy', 'steady', etc...) makes it easy to
forgo any expectations prior to a race/time-trial. hmmm...

The Worlds Uncensored News Source <><><><><><><><

"jake lee" <[email protected]> wrote:

> I guess all the 'fun' running I've been doing on unmeasured courses has helped in this
> way...Having no idea what actual pace I'm running (aside from 'hard', 'easy', 'steady', etc...)
> makes it easy to forgo any expectations prior to a race/time-trial. hmmm...

Wonderful... I can relate. Last year when I was racing a lot, I was nearly always baffled about
my results. My training paces would be quite a bit slower than racing and in the race I'd always
run without knowing my pace - just by effort. IMHO, that's also a much more "natural" and nice
way of running!

cheers, nina