I'm heading home at 1630 this evening

Not Responding

Guest
When it comes to football, I can take it or leave it but I suspect the
same cannot be said for the occupants of the cars that I predict will
create a whopping jam this evening.

Not Responding wrote:
> When it comes to football, I can take it or leave it but I suspect the
> same cannot be said for the occupants of the cars that I predict will
> create a whopping jam this evening.

Yep - due to a flight cancellation messing up my return to the UK yesterday,
I'll probably end up stuck in the jams :(

(and I was planning a long ride today, too)

cupra wrote:
> Not Responding wrote:
>> When it comes to football, I can take it or leave it but I suspect the
>> same cannot be said for the occupants of the cars that I predict will
>> create a whopping jam this evening.

> Yep - due to a flight cancellation messing up my return to the UK yesterday,
> I'll probably end up stuck in the jams :(
>
> (and I was planning a long ride today, too)

Why,is something happening ?

Sam Salt

Not Responding wrote:
> When it comes to football, I can take it or leave it but I suspect the
> same cannot be said for the occupants of the cars that I predict will
> create a whopping jam this evening.

Surely a (checks) 5PM kickoff will mean that travelling between 5:15
and 7:00 wil be the best thing

Not Responding wrote:
> When it comes to football, I can take it or leave it but I suspect the
> same cannot be said for the occupants of the cars that I predict will
> create a whopping jam this evening.

Jam? You mean it's going to be a Bad Day to rush from the ASF AGM
to a choir rehearsal inna hurry? Buggrit.

--
not me guv

> Why,is something happening ?

Miserable bggrs :) I've ramped up my cycling in order to burn off the
extra BEER that I'll consume over the course of the tournament. More beer,
and more cycling - what could be better?

Mark Thompson wrote:

> Miserable bggrs :) I've ramped up my cycling in order to burn off the
> extra BEER that I'll consume over the course of the tournament. More beer,
> and more cycling - what could be better?

More football, more beer, more cycling... excellent!

Except I had to drive in to work today to enable me to get home for the 17:00 kick-off
so it's working against me.

Alan

In article <[email protected]>, Paul
Weaver ([email protected]) wrote:
> Not Responding wrote:
> > When it comes to football, I can take it or leave it but I suspect the
> > same cannot be said for the occupants of the cars that I predict will
> > create a whopping jam this evening.

> Surely a (checks) 5PM kickoff will mean that travelling between 5:15
> and 7:00 wil be the best thing

I intend to leave the Nut Mines at 5 on the dot, go home, have a BEER,
go to Sainsbury's (possibly wearing earplugs), go back home again and
THEN watch the foopball.

Best of all possible worlds, unless the neighbourhood chavs take to the
streets chanting the result...

Flies are the work of Stan, and should be killed by all means available.

In article <[email protected]>, Mark
Thompson <pleasegivegenerously@warmmail*_turn_up_the_heat_to_reply*.com>
writes

>Miserable bggrs :) I've ramped up my cycling in order to burn off the
>extra BEER that I'll consume over the course of the tournament. More beer,
>and more cycling - what could be better?

Carlsberg - 'official beer of England'.

What's all that about then?

--
congokid
Eating out in London? Read my tips...

On Thu, 15 Jun 2006 13:43:47 +0100, congokid wrote:

> Carlsberg - 'official beer of England'.
>
> What's all that about then?

They offered more money than Harp?

Mike

congokid wrote:

> Carlsberg - 'official beer of England'.

If that's the case, I'm drinking unofficial beer.

congokid wrote:

>In article <[email protected]>, Mark
>Thompson <pleasegivegenerously@warmmail*_turn_up_the_heat_to_reply*.com>
>writes
>
>>Miserable bggrs :) I've ramped up my cycling in order to burn off the
>>extra BEER that I'll consume over the course of the tournament. More beer,
>>and more cycling - what could be better?

>Carlsberg - 'official beer of England'.
>
>What's all that about then?

Even worse is the fact that he official beer of the world cup is
****^H^H^H^HBudweiser. One of the stadiums in Gelsenkirchen has been
renamed back to something like it's old name AufSchalke Arena. It has
recently been called the Veltins Arena and Bud didn't want "their"
competition publicisng a decent pilsener beer.

Nick Kew wrote:

>Not Responding wrote:
>> When it comes to football, I can take it or leave it but I suspect the
>> same cannot be said for the occupants of the cars that I predict will
>> create a whopping jam this evening.

>Jam? You mean it's going to be a Bad Day to rush from the ASF AGM
>to a choir rehearsal inna hurry? Buggrit.

I'm going to walk into town to try and drink as little as possible at
a pub before going to choir practice. I would ride but tring to stash
the folder in the pub whilst I watch is going to be next to impossible
and I don't fancy locking it up anywhere :-(

Mike Causer wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Jun 2006 13:43:47 +0100, congokid wrote:
>
>> Carlsberg - 'official beer of England'.
>>
>> What's all that about then?

> They offered more money than Harp?

Spitfire wouldn't be PC? (nor Lancaster or Hurricane...)

If Rooney scores and then gets injured again, will it be too late to
suggest it should have been Hop Back Summer Lightning?

No, none of these! It should be Three B's Tacklers Tipple!

--

JimP

A case of BEER today, gone tomorrow.

On Thu, 15 Jun 2006 19:49:49 +0100, Jim Price wrote:

> Spitfire wouldn't be PC? (nor Lancaster or Hurricane...)

I had a nice pint of Adnams' Reggatta in s quiet pub after a relatively
traffic free 25km loop between 5:30 and 6:30. Left the pub as the Morris
Men started to arrive. I don't object to watching them, but they act
like a Navy press-gang trying to recruit new dancers.....

One came by bike tho' and I know another of them (Devil's Ditch
Morris) sometimes arrives on a Velocette single.

Mike

Mike Causer wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Jun 2006 19:49:49 +0100, Jim Price wrote:
>

>> Spitfire wouldn't be PC? (nor Lancaster or Hurricane...)

> I had a nice pint of Adnams' Reggatta in s quiet pub after a relatively
> traffic free 25km loop between 5:30 and 6:30.

Ah, yes, that would do it. One of my most memorable single pints was a
pint of Broadside outside the pub next to the Adnams brewery.

> Left the pub as the Morris
> Men started to arrive. I don't object to watching them, but they act
> like a Navy press-gang trying to recruit new dancers.....

The perks can sound persuasive, though. They drink like they're going to
get press ganged themselves. I had a morris dancer as a lodger a several
of years ago. He took it up after giving up designing abattoirs...

> One came by bike tho' and I know another of them (Devil's Ditch
> Morris)

That had better be the name of a group, not an individual.

--

JimP

" " - John Cage

On Thu, 15 Jun 2006 21:03:51 +0100, Jim Price wrote:

> Mike Causer wrote:

>> I had a nice pint of Adnams' Reggatta in s quiet pub after a relatively
>> traffic free 25km loop between 5:30 and 6:30.

> Ah, yes, that would do it. One of my most memorable single pints was a
> pint of Broadside outside the pub next to the Adnams brewery.

Ahh yes, but the Mild there is the best!

>> One came by bike tho' and I know another of them (Devil's Ditch Morris)

> That had better be the name of a group, not an individual.

Yup. This particular Devil's Ditch is a 7 mile long post-Roman
earthwork, in East Cambridgeshire. There's only one pub actualy on its
line, which is confusingly called the "Dyke's End" (and where I had my
pint this evening), but the Morris happily go to any (every?) CAMRA-listed
pub within dancing distance of the Ditch.

Nature Note: saw a Marsh Harrier on the way round too.

Mike

Mike Causer wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Jun 2006 21:03:51 +0100, Jim Price wrote:
>
>> Mike Causer wrote:

>>> I had a nice pint of Adnams' Reggatta in s quiet pub after a relatively
>>> traffic free 25km loop between 5:30 and 6:30.

>> Ah, yes, that would do it. One of my most memorable single pints was a
>> pint of Broadside outside the pub next to the Adnams brewery.

> Ahh yes, but the Mild there is the best!

D'oh! Now I'm going to have to go back there, and I've just moved back
to Wales.

> Nature Note: saw a Marsh Harrier on the way round too.

It's red kite country around here.

--

JimP

" " - John Cage

On Thu, 15 Jun 2006 22:51:35 +0100, Jim Price
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Mike Causer wrote:

>>> Ah, yes, that would do it. One of my most memorable single pints was a
>>> pint of Broadside outside the pub next to the Adnams brewery.

>> Ahh yes, but the Mild there is the best!
>>

>D'oh! Now I'm going to have to go back there, and I've just moved back
>to Wales.
>>
>> Nature Note: saw a Marsh Harrier on the way round too.
>>

>It's red kite country around here.

It's Hen Harriers around here, along with the obligatory buzzards and
kestrels...

Mike Causer wrote:
>On Thu, 15 Jun 2006 21:03:51 +0100, Jim Price wrote:
>> Mike Causer wrote:

>>> One came by bike tho' and I know another of them (Devil's Ditch Morris)

>> That had better be the name of a group, not an individual.

>Yup. This particular Devil's Ditch is a 7 mile long post-Roman
>earthwork, in East Cambridgeshire. There's only one pub actualy on its
>line, which is confusingly called the "Dyke's End"

Less confusing if you know the Ditch as the Dyke, though both names are used:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devil's_Dyke,_Cambridgeshire
http://www.cambridgeshire.gov.uk/environment/countryside/biodiversity/projects/devils_dyke/
And indeed http://www.devilsdykemm.org.uk, The Devil's Dyke Morris Men
(Or is there really a Ditch team too? That really would be confusing.)

(Not that that necessarily removes all possible confusion caused by
the pub name, but let's stick with the earthworks.)

I feel the urge for a family cycle to Reach sometime soon coming on.
This time I'll remember spare tubes, or at least patches and pump -
failing to do so rather spoilt the previous visit to their mini-festival.