Lance's Marathon Goal

Well it's the first I've heard of Lance speak to his Marathon
goals....Armstrong and Paula Radcliffe in NYC today pushing some Nike
ipod ****. "he's been training 45 minutes - 1 hour a day and hopes to
come within one hour of Radcliffe's finishing time"

Nice Lance....anything under 3:15 is the goal? Yeah....right. Soft
media banter no doubt. Give me a break. At the moment I'm guessing
2:37 +- 3 Min. 7 time champion? Hill killer rep? ....35 or 35 when he
runs?...I'm expecting an impressive performance.

http://www.gothamist.com/archives/2006/05/23/nike_and_apple_1.php

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Well it's the first I've heard of Lance speak to his Marathon
> goals....Armstrong and Paula Radcliffe in NYC today pushing some Nike
> ipod ****. "he's been training 45 minutes - 1 hour a day and hopes to
> come within one hour of Radcliffe's finishing time"
>
> Nice Lance....anything under 3:15 is the goal? Yeah....right. Soft
> media banter no doubt. Give me a break. At the moment I'm guessing
> 2:37 +- 3 Min. 7 time champion? Hill killer rep? ....35 or 35 when he
> runs?...I'm expecting an impressive performance.

Hmmm. An asshole named Lance...who would have figured.

wrote:

> Well it's the first I've heard of Lance speak to his Marathon
> goals....Armstrong and Paula Radcliffe in NYC today pushing some Nike
> ipod ****. "he's been training 45 minutes - 1 hour a day and hopes to
> come within one hour of Radcliffe's finishing time"

Here is some of the text of Lance talking about the NYC marathon on
Sirius Radio a few weeks ago...

After the music break the talk turned back to the upcoming marathon
and what kind of time he thought he could do. This will be his first
marathon ever and it's generated a lot of buzz in the media. Lance's
been training somewhat already - 10 mile runs here and there on the
roads and trails around Austin - and noted that he has a running
background from his days in triathlon. I reminded him he also has some
results, coming in third out of a thousand people a couple of years
ago at the LAF's "Run for the Roses" 5k.

"I also did Kristin's run recently at the Fertile Hope 5k, and had a
decent time," he said. "So I'd be ecstatic to break three hours at the
New York City Marathon." Me having almost no knowledge about running
showed my ignorance and lack of quick math skills and asked if that
was a good time. "Three hours is a 7-minute mile pace - I think that's
hard - I mean a 7-minute mile isn't that hard, but to do it 26 times -
that's hard, especially at the end." And now I know…

I have done a little running recently so I can hang with some friends
and noted that - differentiating from cycling - it requires a totally
different muscle group. "That's why I'm kind of paying the price right
now, I'm trying to adapt to running. Just the jarring - it's so hilly
here in Austin, running uphill is hard, but running downhill is hard
on you. So if you're going up and down and up and down, your quads are
just killing you."

The other big deal about the marathon is that it's also at the same
time as Lance's 10-year cancer diagnosis anniversary. "The marathon
for me is an interesting idea, because you take a 35-year old guy who
used to be a pro athlete, he retires, and some think he'd want to do
nothing after. But that's not what the rest of the world does. They're
at that age and they want to be a weekend warrior - run, ride your
bike, etc - do something to try and stay fit. So I get to be one of
those guys. And then to get to tie it into my 10-year cancer
anniversary, that's a really cool connection." Can he win? "I am not
going there to try and win anything! Breaking three hours would be
huge, and if I can get near 2:45 I'll come out of my skin." Higgs says
a sub 2:45 is his prediction, Lance said he better know some short
cuts if that's what he wants him to do…

--
Phil M.

Lance is BS'ing _everybody_ and really putting it on thick. Read a
book by a guy named Coyle called, "Lance Armstrong's War". The guy
who wrote the book said, "he's a good hero for my 10 yr old son, at a
safe distance......but I would not want him to date my daughter".
Lance is a ruthless SOB and I would not be surprised if he went sub
2:30 in NYC.

In this book I referenced...there's a fellow cyclist/race named Floyd
Landis, teammate of Lance, .... he said in the book, "Lance doesn't
want to be hugged, he wants to kick everybody's ass." hummmm?

It would not be far-fetched for him to have personal moments wherein he
contemplated how he could possibly win the Marathon. Of course he
won't but in his mind I don't think he's 100% ruled it out.

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Well it's the first I've heard of Lance speak to his Marathon
> goals....Armstrong and Paula Radcliffe in NYC today pushing some Nike
> ipod ****. "he's been training 45 minutes - 1 hour a day and hopes to
> come within one hour of Radcliffe's finishing time"
>
> Nice Lance....anything under 3:15 is the goal? Yeah....right. Soft
> media banter no doubt. Give me a break. At the moment I'm guessing
> 2:37 +- 3 Min. 7 time champion? Hill killer rep? ....35 or 35 when he
> runs?...I'm expecting an impressive performance.
>
> http://www.gothamist.com/archives/2006/05/23/nike_and_apple_1.php

Small article about Armstrong in the paper today. He said in addition to the
marathon, he would be willing to do an adventure race and maybe a triathlon,
but nothing "with a set goal or any pressure". I think he's not going to go
for broke in the marathon; I predict a 2:49 at NYCM for him.

-Tony

[email protected] wrote:

>Lance is BS'ing _everybody_ and really putting it on thick.

Could be. Including his pretended "45'-60'/day training" too then, cos if
he isn't doing any long runs at all, qignificantly better than 3h _is_
still not easy, whatever his potential.

For comparison, Laurent Jalabert did 2h55m at NYCM and 2h57 in London
(with a major positive split there - see Anders' reply to you on the
subject in a previous thread).

"Tony S." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:WR0dg.5995$oa3.951@trnddc08...
> <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Well it's the first I've heard of Lance speak to his Marathon
>> goals....Armstrong and Paula Radcliffe in NYC today pushing some Nike
>> ipod ****. "he's been training 45 minutes - 1 hour a day and hopes to
>> come within one hour of Radcliffe's finishing time"
>>
>> Nice Lance....anything under 3:15 is the goal? Yeah....right. Soft
>> media banter no doubt. Give me a break. At the moment I'm guessing
>> 2:37 +- 3 Min. 7 time champion? Hill killer rep? ....35 or 35 when he
>> runs?...I'm expecting an impressive performance.
>>
>> http://www.gothamist.com/archives/2006/05/23/nike_and_apple_1.php

> Small article about Armstrong in the paper today. He said in addition to the
> marathon, he would be willing to do an adventure race and maybe a triathlon,
> but nothing "with a set goal or any pressure". I think he's not going to go
> for broke in the marathon; I predict a 2:49 at NYCM for him.
>
> -Tony

Prediction: Armstrong goes sub 2:40, or he gets injured training,
probably the latter.

Well he said in context to this marathon choice....

"It fills the void in terms of giving a schedule to my day. And it
gives me an outlet to go out and exercise and suffer the stuff that I
did for twenty years. But competitively, I've been around the races,
I've watched the races, and...I'm thirty five years old, so I'm also
realistic and know that I can't do this for ever": - Lance Armstrong,
Seven-time Tour de France winner.

He's speaking in a context as if age 35 the "sun is setting" on him so
it's now or never. This is only true if the objective is to compete
are your personal highest level and produce a peak performance in the
context of a lifetime. He clearly views this challenge for himself
through the lens of a top tier comptetitor who intends to give a
maximum effort. Tony, he's going balls to the walls....he has no other
gear. I'm thinking 2:35-2:40.