Perth Freeway BikeHike Prang Video

wtf? Did anyone stop to help? I'm sure there were people behind who did but that vid doesn't give the rest of the pack (or the ride) a very good image from my stand point.

Happy to be corrected!

:mad:

Gumby said:
Haven't seen the TdF stop for a prang very often so perhaps you may want to lay blame there.

Maybe you want to actually say what your standpoint is?

Ease up.. I was amazed by the amount of people who just kept riding along after knowing there was an accident. Nothing more.

gplama wrote:
> wtf? Did anyone stop to help? I'm sure there were people behind who
> did but that vid doesn't give the rest of the pack (or the ride) a very
> good image from my stand point.
>
> Happy to be corrected!
>
> :mad:

Heaps of people stopped. The helmet camera gives a limited view.
The prang happened near the front of a bunch of about 100 strong
(estimate - I'd just spent several minutes moving towards the
outside front where I thought I'd be safer!). I heard later that
"at least twenty" bikes ended up on the deck but all were up again
pretty quickly. As it happened, I saw the guy who fell in front
of me at the end (amazing as there were 6000+ riders) and he'd ridden
to the finish. He had some blood coming from a cut on his face and
was insisting that he'd "had worse" to anyone who was asking him how
he was.

I agree with some of your sentiment though. I thought there was
some pretty aggressive and selfish riding going on in the fast
bunches. The main reason I was were I was in the pack was that
there'd been some scary moments earlier (see other thread on the
bikehike) with locked brakes etc. This was the first ride I've
been on where I've smelt burning rubber!

At least in this case the fast aggressive bunches were in the
clear and not mixing it with slower less experienced riders.
The same cannot be said for the fast and aggressive bunches
that do the Round the River Sat and Sun mornings in Perth,
especially along the Freeway bike path.

The basic problem is that young blokes in packs very often
act like dickheads. I should know, I've been one.

DeF.

--
To reply, you'll need to remove your finger.

Gumby wrote:
> DeF > wrote:
>> DeF > wrote:
>>> From an earlier thread:
>>> http://homepage.mac.com/duncan.farrow/iMovieTheater1.html
>>>
>>> Couldn't get youtube to work but the above did.
>>>
>>> Enjoy!
>>>
>>> DeF.
>>>

>> I got the youtube stuff working...
>>
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6M22udVUtzc
>>
>> Same as above but lower quality image.
>>
>> DeF
>>

> I reckon the first thing you thought was
> "That was close"
> then, "Glad I got the video working this'll look great on youtube"
> then, "6000 riders, I aint got a first aid cert, keep riding"

You got that about right. I'd had the "that was close" thought
several times earlier on. This time it was "that was close to
his head". And you're right about the first aid stuff - I didn't
have anything remotely useful in terms of skills or materials
except possibly my mobile which is hardly rare. Also, riding
against the flow is not easy.

DeF

--

DeF > wrote:
> DeF > wrote:
>> From an earlier thread:
>> http://homepage.mac.com/duncan.farrow/iMovieTheater1.html
>>
>> Couldn't get youtube to work but the above did.
>>
>> Enjoy!
>>
>> DeF.
>>

> I got the youtube stuff working...
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6M22udVUtzc
>
> Same as above but lower quality image.
>
> DeF

I reckon the first thing you thought was
"That was close"
then, "Glad I got the video working this'll look great on youtube"
then, "6000 riders, I aint got a first aid cert, keep riding"

"Gumby" <stevendigitmckiernan@iinet-dot-net-dot-au> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> gplama wrote:
>> wtf? Did anyone stop to help? I'm sure there were people behind who
>> did but that vid doesn't give the rest of the pack (or the ride) a very
>> good image from my stand point. Happy to be corrected!
>>
>> :mad:
>>

> Haven't seen the TdF stop for a prang very often so perhaps you may want
> to lay blame there.
>
> Maybe you want to actually say what your standpoint is?

Ummm - TdF, Freeway Bike Hike. I can tell the difference, so what I'd expect
in one I wouldn't expect in the other...

me

DeF wrote:

> I agree with some of your sentiment though. I thought there was
> some pretty aggressive and selfish riding going on in the fast
> bunches. The main reason I was were I was in the pack was that
> there'd been some scary moments earlier (see other thread on the
> bikehike) with locked brakes etc. This was the first ride I've
> been on where I've smelt burning rubber!
>
> At least in this case the fast aggressive bunches were in the
> clear and not mixing it with slower less experienced riders.
> The same cannot be said for the fast and aggressive bunches
> that do the Round the River Sat and Sun mornings in Perth,
> especially along the Freeway bike path.
>
> The basic problem is that young blokes in packs very often
> act like dickheads. I should know, I've been one.

I sometimes wonder whether these events don't give the public a bad image of
cyclists. I've been on a few in the past, the Tunnel opening, several round
the bridges, etc. and don't wish to go on any more. If this is an example of
how riders behave in dense bicycle traffic, thank goodness most people drive
cars. If all these people rode bikes to work every day the road toll would
soar.
<shakes head sadly>.

Theo

Gumby wrote:
> gplama wrote:
>> wtf? Did anyone stop to help? I'm sure there were people behind who
>> did but that vid doesn't give the rest of the pack (or the ride) a
>> very good image from my stand point.
>>
>> Happy to be corrected!

> Haven't seen the TdF stop for a prang very often so perhaps you may
> want to lay blame there.
>
> Maybe you want to actually say what your standpoint is?

1. It wasn't the TdF.
2. There was no $M prize at the end.

Theo

Friday wrote:
> DeF > wrote:
>> From an earlier thread:
>> http://homepage.mac.com/duncan.farrow/iMovieTheater1.html
>>
>> Couldn't get youtube to work but the above did.
>>
>> Enjoy!
>>
>> DeF.
>>

> Looks like the red and blue riders got too close and tangled. Hard to
> say who's at fault though.
>
> Friday

Yeah, I've gone through it frame by frame and I think if anyone
is to blame, it's the rider on tri-bars (two bidons behind seat).
He swerves too the right just ahead of the blue topped rider that
goes down. Even then, there may have been someone in front of
him that did something silly. And even then, if you don't know
the people you're riding with, you should be giving them some
space! (Hands up as guilty of not doing that....).

DeF.

--
e-mail: d.farrow@your finger.murdoch.edu.au
To reply, you'll have to remove your finger.

Zebee Johnstone wrote:
> Theo Bekkers wrote:

>> I sometimes wonder whether these events don't give the public a bad
>> image of cyclists. I've been on a few in the past, the Tunnel
>> opening, several round the bridges, etc. and don't wish to go on any
>> more. If this is an example of how riders behave in dense bicycle
>> traffic, thank goodness most people drive cars. If all these people
>> rode bikes to work every day the road toll would soar.

> and you a veteran of lots of Phillip Island traffic horrors!

And thirty Charity Rides.

> It's people in packs. Any kind of pack. Two wheeled ones are
> particularly bad because most are used to being the fast moving mammal
> in the herd of slow moving predictabe dinosaurs. And when they get in
> their own herd they keep the same habits of darting about assuming
> they are the fastest most manouverable thing there.
>
> At the Island you have to have eyes in your ****, I'd expect any place
> where there's a lot of "normally the only bicycle there" riders would
> be the same.

Yes. It does show that the 'urban bicycle cowboy' attitude needs some
modification before we can all take to the roads at once.

Theo

On 2007-03-19, DeF (aka Bruce)
> Friday wrote:
>> DeF > wrote:
>>> From an earlier thread:
>>> http://homepage.mac.com/duncan.farrow/iMovieTheater1.html
>>>
>>> Couldn't get youtube to work but the above did.
>>>
>>> Enjoy!

>> Looks like the red and blue riders got too close and tangled. Hard to
>> say who's at fault though.

> Yeah, I've gone through it frame by frame and I think if anyone
> is to blame, it's the rider on tri-bars (two bidons behind seat).

Tri bars in a bunch?

That's a stoning offence straight away.

> He swerves too the right just ahead of the blue topped rider that
> goes down. Even then, there may have been someone in front of
> him that did something silly.

Not necessarily, if you apply the standard stereotype!

--
TimC
"`Ford, you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.'" -THHGTTG

On Mar 20, 8:40 am, "Theo Bekkers" <[email protected]> wrote:
> DeF wrote:
> > I agree with some of your sentiment though. I thought there was
> > some pretty aggressive and selfish riding going on in the fast
> > bunches. The main reason I was were I was in the pack was that
> > there'd been some scary moments earlier (see other thread on the
> > bikehike) with locked brakes etc. This was the first ride I've
> > been on where I've smelt burning rubber!

> > At least in this case the fast aggressive bunches were in the
> > clear and not mixing it with slower less experienced riders.
> > The same cannot be said for the fast and aggressive bunches
> > that do the Round the River Sat and Sun mornings in Perth,
> > especially along the Freeway bike path.

> > The basic problem is that young blokes in packs very often
> > act like dickheads. I should know, I've been one.

> I sometimes wonder whether these events don't give the public a bad image of
> cyclists. I've been on a few in the past, the Tunnel opening, several round
> the bridges, etc. and don't wish to go on any more. If this is an example of
> how riders behave in dense bicycle traffic, thank goodness most people drive
> cars. If all these people rode bikes to work every day the road toll would
> soar.
> <shakes head sadly>.
>
> Theo- Hide quoted text -

Yes, imagine if all those bloody red-light runners were in cars, so
they could actually do some damage! (oh that's right, drivers do that
too). <shakes head with Theo>

Donga

Theo Bekkers wrote:
> Gumby wrote:
>> gplama wrote:
>>> wtf? Did anyone stop to help? I'm sure there were people behind who
>>> did but that vid doesn't give the rest of the pack (or the ride) a
>>> very good image from my stand point.
>>>
>>> Happy to be corrected!

>> Haven't seen the TdF stop for a prang very often so perhaps you may
>> want to lay blame there.
>>
>> Maybe you want to actually say what your standpoint is?

> 1. It wasn't the TdF.
> 2. There was no $M prize at the end.
>
> Theo

go away theo who asked you

Theo Bekkers wrote:
> Zebee Johnstone wrote:
>> Theo Bekkers wrote:

>>> I sometimes wonder whether these events don't give the public a bad
>>> image of cyclists. I've been on a few in the past, the Tunnel
>>> opening, several round the bridges, etc. and don't wish to go on any
>>> more. If this is an example of how riders behave in dense bicycle
>>> traffic, thank goodness most people drive cars. If all these people
>>> rode bikes to work every day the road toll would soar.

>> and you a veteran of lots of Phillip Island traffic horrors!

> And thirty Charity Rides.
>
>> It's people in packs. Any kind of pack. Two wheeled ones are
>> particularly bad because most are used to being the fast moving mammal
>> in the herd of slow moving predictabe dinosaurs. And when they get in
>> their own herd they keep the same habits of darting about assuming
>> they are the fastest most manouverable thing there.
>>
>> At the Island you have to have eyes in your ****, I'd expect any place
>> where there's a lot of "normally the only bicycle there" riders would
>> be the same.

> Yes. It does show that the 'urban bicycle cowboy' attitude needs some
> modification before we can all take to the roads at once.
>
> Theo

too much time on a MOTORbike and not enuff on a bike

On Tue, 20 Mar 2007 19:53:26 +1100, TimC wrote:

> Tri bars

> That's a stoning offence straight away.

IFYP

--
Dave Hughes | [email protected]
"When cryptography is outlawed, bayl bhgynjf jvyy unir cevinpl."

Gumby wrote:
> Theo Bekkers wrote:

>> Yes. It does show that the 'urban bicycle cowboy' attitude needs some
>> modification before we can all take to the roads at once.

> too much time on a MOTORbike and not enuff on a bike

No, not recently, due to where I chose to live. I suppose the 60,000 kms,
mostly commuting, in the previous ten years doesn't count.

Theo