Breathing Problems

jhuskey

Oct 6, 2003
My wife started riding with me a little over a year ago. She has made very good progress in both speed and endurance. The problem is that with the colder weather comes drier air.
She has had Asthma since childhood and it bothers her more while riding.
She is fine after she warms up ,about 5 miles of so. She uses an inhaler that helps some. I have no experience with masks since I have never had the problem. I know there are some products out there that are worn over your mouth and nose. Has anyone used any of these sucessfully. Just need something to get her through the next few months.

I don't have asthma (or at least not enough to have done anything baout it) but I do tend to do the wheezing thing when the cold hits. I find that a thin ski-mask type face cover helps a *lot* -- and I was also surprised to find out how much getting in shape helped. Don't know how many times I'd go out once and not like it, so it would be a few days.... my brother said "go ouit every day for three days." By that third day, no problem.
YMMV of course.

Suggest she try a disposable dust filter mask, available from any home improvement store. I haven't ridden with one, but do sometimes wear them for dusty cleanup or leave mulching. They do seem to warm and moisten the inhaled air quite a bit. They also provide some restriction to free breathing, so probably wouldn't be good for high-effort riding.

Dan

Originally posted by jhuskey
My wife started riding with me a little over a year ago. She has made very good progress in both speed and endurance. The problem is that with the colder weather comes drier air.
She has had Asthma since childhood and it bothers her more while riding.
She is fine after she warms up ,about 5 miles of so. She uses an inhaler that helps some. I have no experience with masks since I have never had the problem. I know there are some products out there that are worn over your mouth and nose. Has anyone used any of these sucessfully. Just need something to get her through the next few months.
for me it is humidity. cold and high humidity in the 80% tightens my lungs.