shimano 105 derailleurs exploded view

Fred

Guest
I would appreciate some info please re the above. I've
dismantled and cleaned and greased the rear derailleur, but
found when I wanted to reassemble, that one of the wheels
had a double bush ( if I make myself clear) and the other
wheel was only a single bush bearing assembly. My question,
why the difference and which pulley should be where in the
reassembled mechanism? ( I assumed both would be identical
and took no notice of this variation when dismantling -
dooh) I hope you know what I mean - is there more strain at
the bottom part of the derailleur or does the wheel nearest
the sprockets have a rougher time? TIA Fred

Originally posted by Fred
I would appreciate some info please re the above. I've
dismantled and cleaned and greased the rear derailleur, but
found when I wanted to reassemble, that one of the wheels
had a double bush ( if I make myself clear) and the other
wheel was only a single bush bearing assembly. My question,
why the difference and which pulley should be where in the
reassembled mechanism? ( I assumed both would be identical
and took no notice of this variation when dismantling -
dooh) I hope you know what I mean - is there more strain at
the bottom part of the derailleur or does the wheel nearest
the sprockets have a rougher time? TIA Fred

I wish I sent you this before you started:
http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/howfix_deroh.shtml
Not a 105, but this might help:
http://tinyurl.com/32m7g

"Fred" <"Fred"@invalid.btinternet.com> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I would appreciate some info please re the above. I've
> dismantled and cleaned and greased the rear derailleur,
> but found when I wanted to reassemble, that one of the
> wheels had a double bush ( if I make myself clear) and
> the other wheel was only a single bush bearing assembly.
> My question, why the difference and which pulley should
> be where in the reassembled mechanism? ( I assumed both
> would be identical and took no notice of this variation
> when dismantling - dooh) I hope you know what I mean - is
> there more strain at the bottom part of the derailleur or
> does the wheel nearest the sprockets have a rougher time?
> TIA Fred

Dear Fred,

I think that I've asked a similar question, but I forget
what the collective wisdom was. You can find a variety of
answers through this link:

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=8bbde8fc.0401141900.59-
20ab82%40posting.google.com&output=gplain

I replaced my haughtily different pair of non-identical
plastic pulleys with some metal ones and have been
pleased so far.

Good luck,

Carl Fogel

"Fred" <"Fred"@invalid.btinternet.com> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I would appreciate some info please re the above. I've
> dismantled and cleaned and greased the rear derailleur,
> but found when I wanted to reassemble, that one of the
> wheels had a double bush ( if I make myself clear) and the
> other wheel was only a single bush bearing assembly.

The upper pulley has some sideways float and is marked
"Centeron", the lower pulley does not.

This has been covered many times. Here's a link to a recent
discussion: http://tinyurl.com/3hdc5

Jeff

"Fred" <"Fred"@invalid.btinternet.com> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I would appreciate some info please re the above. I've
> dismantled and cleaned and greased the rear derailleur,
> but found when I wanted to reassemble, that one of the
> wheels had a double bush ( if I make myself clear) and
> the other wheel was only a single bush bearing assembly.
> My question, why the difference and which pulley should
> be where in the reassembled mechanism? ( I assumed both
> would be identical and took no notice of this variation
> when dismantling - dooh) I hope you know what I mean - is
> there more strain at the bottom part of the derailleur or
> does the wheel nearest the sprockets have a rougher time?
> TIA Fred

Hi, I can't help with the exploded view, but I just removed
a 105 RD from my bike today. I was wiping it off and did
notice that the pulleys were different. The upper pulley
[guide pulley] says "Centeron G-Pulley", the lower pulley
[tennison pulley] says "Narrow". The guide pulley spins
freely, while the other one turns, but doesn't spin. By
taking a look at the EV for the Ultegra RD and my own, I
would think that the double bush is the guide pulley. Life
is Good! Jeff

[email protected] (Jeff Starr) wrote in message

> Hi, I can't help with the exploded view, but I just
> removed a 105 RD from my bike today. I was wiping it off
> and did notice that the pulleys were different. The upper
> pulley [guide pulley] says "Centeron G-Pulley", the lower
> pulley [tennison pulley] says "Narrow". The guide pulley
> spins freely, while the other one turns, but doesn't spin.
> By taking a look at the EV for the Ultegra RD and my own,
> I would think that the double bush is the guide pulley.
> Life is Good! Jeff

[tennison pulley] Oops - should be "tension pulley".

"Fred" <"Fred"@invalid.btinternet.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I would appreciate some info please re the above. I've
> dismantled and cleaned and greased the rear derailleur,
> but found when I wanted to reassemble, that one of the
> wheels had a double bush ( if I make myself clear) and the
> other wheel was only a single bush bearing assembly. My
> question, why the difference and which pulley should be
> where in
the
> reassembled mechanism? ( I assumed both would be identical
> and took no notice of this variation when dismantling -
> dooh) I hope you know what I mean - is there more strain
> at the bottom part
of
> the derailleur or does the wheel nearest the sprockets
> have a rougher time? TIA Fred

Thank you , one and all - I did manage to put them back the
wrong way round! Glad I asked . Fred %-6