I think I'm addicted.

Resound

Guest
I've been using a bike that I got from a friend to commute to and from
university for the past few months. The main motivation was to save
money on bus tickets (saves me $12 out of the $150 I live on each week)
and some vague inkling that I might lose some weight and get fit after
quitting smoking at the end of last year.

Friday morning I woke up at about 7am in a foul mood for a variety of
reasons. The sky looked less than entirely evil out the bedroom window
so I got up, breakfasted, and jumped on the bike for no reason other
than to blow out the cobwebs. About 25 minutes later, I was cresting a
hill, jousting with peak hour traffic and grinning like a loon. A few
minutes after that I hit Beach Rd. Down to Beaumaris, then back up to
Brighton. By the time I got back to Oakleigh, I'd done around 50-60km
and I felt great. I think I now know what proper cycling shorts are
for though.

Not a particularly big ride by the standards of most, although it was
the longest ride I've done in one go to date. The big difference was
that I did it wholly for the sake of riding rather than to get somewhere
Something of a turning point, I suspect. Now I just need to get out
there more often instead of just thinking about it. Anyone out there
riding socially on a regular basis who doesn't move too fast (I'm on a
mountain bike with road tyres, that morning I did about 22-23km in the
first hour and slowed down a bit after that) and who wouldn't mind
someone else tagging along?

--

"Resound" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> I've been using a bike that I got from a friend to commute to and from
> university for the past few months. The main motivation was to save

[...]

> get out there more often instead of just thinking about it. Anyone
> out there riding socially on a regular basis who doesn't move too
> fast (I'm on a mountain bike with road tyres, that morning I did
> about 22-23km in the first hour and slowed down a bit after that) and
> who wouldn't mind someone else tagging along?

Where are you starting from? I'm in St Kilda. I find I average about 25kph
on Beach Rd on my hybrid, a tad slower if I'm heading into a southerly and a
tad faster if I've got a tailwind. BTW, by uni I take it you mean Monash?
Heh - one of my sons goes to Monash.

--

A: Top-posters.

Drs wrote:
> Where are you starting from? I'm in St Kilda. I find I average about
> 25kph on Beach Rd on my hybrid, a tad slower if I'm heading into a
> southerly and a tad faster if I've got a tailwind. BTW, by uni I take it
> you mean Monash? Heh - one of my sons goes to Monash.
> --
> A: Top-posters.
> B: What is the most annoying thing on Usenet?

I start out from Oakleigh, not too far from the intersection of Princes
Hwy and Warrigal Rd. St. Kilda doesn't sound too scary as a starting
point, although I'm not going to average 25kph just yet. I'm getting
there slowly (33 years old, paying the price for 16 years of smoking
and a sedentary lifestyle) but gratifyingly. Uni is Deakin, Burwood
Campus. Actually, the improvement in health and fitness isn't all that
slow. That Friday morning ride would have half killed me a couple of
months ago.

--

"Resound" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Drs wrote:
> Where are you starting from? I'm in St Kilda. I find I average
> about 25kph on Beach Rd on my hybrid, a tad slower if I'm heading
> into a southerly and a tad faster if I've got a tailwind. BTW, by
> uni I take it you mean Monash? Heh - one of my sons goes to
> Monash.
>
> I start out from Oakleigh, not too far from the intersection of
> Princes Hwy and Warrigal Rd.

Ah, see that's about where I'd be turning for home. :) The other day I
rode out to my Dad's place in the old Burwood (now Glen Iris - snobs).
There were all these bloody hills everywhere! My glutes were hurting for
days.

> St. Kilda doesn't sound too scary as a starting
> point, although I'm not going to average 25kph just yet. I'm getting
> there slowly (33 years old, paying the price for 16 years of smoking
> and a sedentary lifestyle) but gratifyingly.

Don't give me that, I'm 41, I smoked for 25 years and I used to be so
sedentary I had trained the dog to push the buttons on the remote for me.

> Uni is Deakin, Burwood
> Campus. Actually, the improvement in health and fitness isn't all that
> slow. That Friday morning ride would have half killed me a couple of
> months ago.

There is that.

--

A: Top-posters.

Yes... you have become an addict!!!

You'll recognise some of the symptoms... increased heart rate (sometimes
close to the max), heaving chest, heavy breathing, numb hands and feet
(and testicles and other organs), dramatic weight loss, constantly
aching calfs and thighs and back, watering eyes, sweating, feelings of
euphoria, increased appetite, exhaustion, hyper alertness, paranoia
("every car/truck/bus is out to get me"), disappearing from home for
long periods and returning looking tired and disheveled...

THERE IS NO CURE...

...isn't it GREAT!

PS. Thankfully there are groups of fellow addicts (such as this one)
where you can come for help, advice and a friendly chat.

--

Search123 * Fast search the web.And just think you still have yet to
discover the joys of actual mountain biking and then my friend you will know