2010 Giro d' Italia: Stage 20: Bormio to Passo del Tonale, 178 km

Discussion in 'Professional Cycling' started by steve, May 29, 2010.

1. steve

steve Administrator
    Staff Member

2010 Giro d' Italia: Stage 20: Bormio to Passo del Tonale, 178 km

The Passo di Gavia, at 2,618 m (8,589 ft) in elevation, is the Cima Coppi, the highest point in the Giro. It is the penultimate climb on the course, before the finish at the Passo del Tonale. The course briefly enters Switzerland for the Forcola di Livigno climb, which features almost 2,000 m (6,600 ft) of vertical gain. This stage contains the most climbing of any in this Giro, going up 6,320 m (20,730 ft) among five mountains.

Stage Map
    View attachment 12247

Stage Profile
    View attachment 12248

The Climbs
    View attachment 12249 View attachment 12250 View attachment 12251 View attachment 12252
    View attachment 12254 View attachment 12255 View attachment 12256

The Last KM's
    View attachment 12253

General classification before stage 20

1 Ivan Basso (Ita) Liquigas-Doimo 81:55:56
    2 David Arroyo Duran (Spa) Caisse d'Epargne 0:00:51
    3 Vincenzo Nibali (Ita) Liquigas-Doimo 0:02:30
    4 Michele Scarponi (Ita) Androni Giocattoli 0:02:49
    5 Cadel Evans (Aus) BMC Racing Team 0:04:00
    6 Carlos Sastre Candil (Spa) Cervelo Test Team 0:05:32
    7 Richie Porte (Aus) Team Saxo Bank 0:06:00
    8 Alexandre Vinokourov (Kaz) Astana 0:06:22
    9 Robert Kiserlovski (Cro) Liquigas-Doimo 0:12:44
    10 Marco Pinotti (Ita) Team HTC - Columbia 0:13:40

Tags:

2. pennstater

pennstater New Member

A lot of long climbs that aren't very steep may suit someone like Vino or Sastre, and the fact that both are 5 minutes + behind Basso means they might not get chased down as aggresively if they attack toward the end of the stage. Another senerio is that the three strongest riders from yesterday will do something similar on today's stage. In that case I would pick Nibali.

3. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

Interesting stage today.

Basso rode to protect the jersey.
    Evans in fairness did try to do something.

Very annoying to see Basso riding to overall victory:mad:

4. pennstater

pennstater New Member

You never know what could happen in the final time-trial. Perhaps Basso falls ill with Rasmussenitis, but it is doubtful as I'm sure he was given the vaccine for such a terrible affliction.

5. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

:D:D:D:D:D

6. Andrija

Andrija New Member

Yes, it was an interesting stage.
    I think it was tactically wrong to attack on the first climb of the day. Too long way to the finish. But it didn't bother Tschopp. It didn't bother him to cross Cima Coppi in front of Simoni neither... Maybe he should have been gentleman, I don't know.
    Evans tried just what he could.

I'm not that much annoyed with Basso. The belief in his cleanness annoys me more. If TT on Corones was indicator of cleaner peloton, than his Mortirolo time was opposite... He was faster than in 2006 and wasn't on his limit (as he admitted). His peaking is suspicious too. Two years is nice period to collect oneself... Vino knows that also.
    Liquigas looks like team which knows how to take care of their riders... Lots of potential there... Very nice stock for the future.

7. pennstater

pennstater New Member

I'm not sure what Basso's time was on the Mortirolo this year compared to his time in 2006. I would agree that his form is surprising, but the faster Mortirolo time this year may have something to do with the fact that the stage in 2006 was harder.

2006 stage 20 - 211 km ----- 2010 stage 19 - 195 km

Climbs before the Mortirolo:
    2006 - Passo Tonale and Passo Gavia (Cima Coppi in 2006 and 2010)
    2010 - Aprica and Trivigno

Both stages were brutal, but I would say that the 2006 Mortirolo stage was more difficult.

8. Andrija

Andrija New Member

Yes, 2006. Mortirolo stage looks more difficult.
    It's hard to compare... You never know how strong they were going before Mortirolo?
    Generally, it's problematic to compare stages and times on climbs.
    If I remember well, only Simoni could follow him on Mortirolo in 2006. This year he had company of two (with faster time)... What I want to say is - it's hard to find valid indicator of performance (to compare).
    I have to remind you that Liquigas' plan was to support Pellizotti in Giro, Basso wanted to use Giro as preparation for the Tour and Nibali should have ridden Tour of California in order to prepare for the Tour (that's a week later and a week shorter). It's interesting how efficiently they've managed to transfer from preparation goals to winning (dominating) performances.
    Maybe they've sacrificed some reserves in order to please their Italian sponsor... To fulfill their obligations.

But, also, the fact is that it's not surprising that Basso beat Evans, Vino & co. on Zoncolan and Mortrolo - climbs where he should have beaten them based on his disposition.
    My impression is that this year's field was more equaled, but still not clean... They're just more careful. Basso's 2006 edition was simply arrogant.