24 Hour Pork - what to serve with it

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Steve Y, Dec 24, 2005.

  1. Steve Y

    Steve Y Guest

    We are planning on doing Nigella's 24 Hour Pork shoulder as the main
    dish for our New Year meal. Question is what to serve with it ?

    Current idea is the Pork, with its crackling and Apple Sauce
    Hasselback Potatoes
    Mashed Carrots
    Braised Red Cabbage

    But I am looking for another veg dish to add to it.

    What I am trying to do is to get a good balance of textures and
    flavours. Pork should be moist but with the crunch of the crackling.
    Spuds are crunchy, mash is well, mash as is the cabbage. I think we
    need another crunchy veg so was thinking of roast brussel sprouts but
    does anyone have other thoughts ? Problem is timing, this will be 3rd
    course of the meal and we only have 1 oven at present

    Seasons Greetings to All

    Steve

    Tags:

  2. Tara

    Tara Guest

    On Sat, 24 Dec 2005 21:26:36 +0100, Steve Y <steverubbish@wanadoo.fr>
    wrote:

    >We are planning on doing Nigella's 24 Hour Pork shoulder as the main
    >dish for our New Year meal. Question is what to serve with it ?
    >
    >Current idea is the Pork, with its crackling and Apple Sauce
    >Hasselback Potatoes
    >Mashed Carrots
    >Braised Red Cabbage
    >
    >But I am looking for another veg dish to add to it.
    >
    >What I am trying to do is to get a good balance of textures and
    >flavours. Pork should be moist but with the crunch of the crackling.
    >Spuds are crunchy, mash is well, mash as is the cabbage. I think we
    >need another crunchy veg so was thinking of roast brussel sprouts but
    >does anyone have other thoughts ? Problem is timing, this will be 3rd
    >course of the meal and we only have 1 oven at present

    Have you made the 24 hour pork dish before? I just returned that
    cookbook to the library and I was so curious about that recipe. I'd
    love to hear the results of it.

    As far as another side dish -- I would like something green and fresh.
    A nice green salad would be a good cool, crisp, and acidic contrast to
    the creamy, rich, hot food. Maybe add some citrus sections. Toss it
    at the last minute and serve it after the pork as your palate
    cleanser.

    Tara

  3. Boron Elgar

    Boron Elgar Guest

    wrote:

    >We are planning on doing Nigella's 24 Hour Pork shoulder as the main
    >dish for our New Year meal. Question is what to serve with it ?
    >
    >Current idea is the Pork, with its crackling and Apple Sauce
    >Hasselback Potatoes
    >Mashed Carrots
    >Braised Red Cabbage
    >
    >But I am looking for another veg dish to add to it.
    >
    >What I am trying to do is to get a good balance of textures and
    >flavours. Pork should be moist but with the crunch of the crackling.
    >Spuds are crunchy, mash is well, mash as is the cabbage. I think we
    >need another crunchy veg so was thinking of roast brussel sprouts but
    >does anyone have other thoughts ? Problem is timing, this will be 3rd
    >course of the meal and we only have 1 oven at present
    >
    >Seasons Greetings to All
    >
    >Steve

    Crunchy whole green beans, cooked carefully, so they keep the snap. A
    bit of garlic and slivered almonds done in browned butter and poured
    over add more texture.

    Boron

  4. On Sat, 24 Dec 2005 21:26:36 +0100, Steve Y <steverubbish@wanadoo.fr>
    wrote:

    > We are planning on doing Nigella's 24 Hour Pork shoulder as the main
    > dish for our New Year meal. Question is what to serve with it ?
    >
    > Current idea is the Pork, with its crackling and Apple Sauce
    > Hasselback Potatoes
    > Mashed Carrots
    > Braised Red Cabbage
    >
    > But I am looking for another veg dish to add to it.
    >
    > What I am trying to do is to get a good balance of textures and
    > flavours. Pork should be moist but with the crunch of the crackling.
    > Spuds are crunchy, mash is well, mash as is the cabbage. I think we
    > need another crunchy veg so was thinking of roast brussel sprouts but
    > does anyone have other thoughts ? Problem is timing, this will be 3rd
    > course of the meal and we only have 1 oven at present

    This dish can be made a day ahead and re-heated. And it uses a stove,
    not an oven. And it's fabulous!

    * Exported from MasterCook *

    Green Beans with Hazelnuts and Lemon

    Recipe By :Gourmet Magazine
    Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:45
    Categories : side dishes Thanksgiving
    vegetables

    1 1/2 pounds green beans -- trimmed
    1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
    1 1/2 teaspoons lemon zest -- freshly grated
    1/3 cup toasted hazelnuts -- chopped fine

    In a kettle of boiling salted water cook beans until just tender, 3 to
    8 minutes. Drain beans in a colander and in a large bowl toss while
    still hot with oil, zest, nuts, and salt and pepper to taste. Beans
    may be made 1 day ahead and chilled, covered. Reheat beans, preferably
    in a microwave.

    Source:
    "http://www.epicurious.com/"
    Copyright:
    "November 1995"

    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

    Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 46 Calories; 3g Fat (46.5%
    calories from fat); 1g Protein; 5g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 0mg
    Cholesterol; 5mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 1/2 Fat.

  5. Steve Y

    Steve Y Guest

    We did it two years ago, result was wonderfull. Perhaps it was something
    to do with tastebuds having been assaulted by the aroma for so many
    hours but the tender meat with the crunchy crackling was really good.
    The shoulder bone pulled out as with two fingers. A 8Kg lump of meat
    was far too much for 6 of us but this time we will be 11+ so shouldn't
    have the same problem

    > Have you made the 24 hour pork dish before? I just returned that
    > cookbook to the library and I was so curious about that recipe. I'd
    > love to hear the results of it.

Share This Page