26" mtb wheelset on 27" 80's centurion

kwogfive

May 25, 2010
Hello everyone Kwog here,

I like bikes, in fact I just took a sledge hammer to a piano to make room for more bikes to hang on the dining room wall!:D

I am doing the Katy trail in Missouri this weekend and there has been a lot of rain. I bought the widest 27" tire from Nashbar and had a clearance issue due to height (hit the bottom of the brake), I am trying to get a bigger contact patch so I don't sink in the soft spots. Has anyone attempted to put a 26" mountain bike tire on an older bike that came equipped with 27" tires. I thought I could swap out the brakes for some off of a bmx bike to cure the reach issue. I also am having questions about the rear spacing, the MTB wheels that I could use have 8 speeds, the Centurion is a 6 cogger in the back. Just curious if anyone has tried this or knows of a link to some info on this type of conversion successful or not.

I am trying to prevent myself from spending the money on another diamond frame bike when I really want my next purchase to be a recumbent. If I can make the Centurion more of a jack of all trades that would solve my problem.

I've done the google search and I was hoping maybe you folks would be able to help me.

Thanks in advance,

Kwog

kwogfive said:
I am doing the Katy trail in Missouri this weekend and there has been a lot of rain. I bought the widest 27" tire from Nashbar and had a clearance issue due to height (hit the bottom of the brake), I am trying to get a bigger contact patch so I don't sink in the soft spots. Has anyone attempted to put a 26" mountain bike tire on an older bike that came equipped with 27" tires. I thought I could swap out the brakes for some off of a bmx bike to cure the reach issue. I also am having questions about the rear spacing, the MTB wheels that I could use have 8 speeds, the Centurion is a 6 cogger in the back. Just curious if anyone has tried this or knows of a link to some info on this type of conversion successful or not.

I am trying to prevent myself from spending the money on another diamond frame bike when I really want my next purchase to be a recumbent. If I can make the Centurion more of a jack of all trades that would solve my problem.
I think the odds of a 26x2.1" tire fitting between the chainstays of any Road bike are low ... if your Centurion were a Touring bike, then I would say the odds would be better ...

I have a 90s vintage GIANT Nutra frame that I can fit 700x52 (29er) tires into.

I think your adventure on the Katy Trail should be done on a Hardtail MTB (that is, if bikes are allowed on the Trail -- check first!).

BTW. HARRIS CYCLERY sells the largest 27" tire that I know of (it may/must be available from other retailers, too):

TR2101.jpg

40-630 27 x 1 3/8"
Very Aggressive knobby tread, blackwall, 40-65 psi -- $24.95
27 Inch Bicycle Tires from Harris Cyclery (ISO/E.T.R.T.O. 630 mm)

kwogfive said:
I also am having questions about the rear spacing, the MTB wheels that I could use have 8 speeds, the Centurion is a 6 cogger in the back. Just curious if anyone has tried this or knows of a link to some info on this type of conversion successful or not.
The rear spacing on your Centurion is undoubtedly 126mm ...

A MTB's rear wheel will have 135mm spacing ...

You can EITHER re-space the frame OR re-space the rear wheel's OLD (over locknut distance) ... or, both so that the both frame & rear wheel is 130mm.

The dropouts on a frame whose rear dropouts are re-spaced need to be re-aligned. This can be a DIY project ...

Re-spacing a frame simply needs a little knowledge and a lot of patience ... NO ADDITONAL LEVERAGE OTHER THAN WHAT YOU CAN PROVIDE WITH YOUR UPPER BODY STRENGTH SHOULD BE USED. Remove the rear wheel, grab the dropouts, & use only whatever you perceive to be 30 lbs. of force ... measure, repeat.

Re-aligning the dropouts is most easily done with a pipe wrench whose jaws sandwich a couple of pieces of scrap plywood which shroud the dropout ... STEEL DROPOUTS ARE SOFT ... use whatever you perceive to be 5 lbs. of force. Repeat as needed.

It worked well up front but the tapering chainstay near the bottom bracket won't allow anything approaching 2.0 to fit. It looked pretty ridiculous having that big tire up front and a skinny in back. By the way the Katy Trail allows bikes, hikers and horses for about 20 miles. 225miles car free!

Kwog