A few questions

Ray

Guest
OK, I've been riding for a few years, but in the last 2
have declined significantly..not sure why..negative
motivation maybe. But now, I'm starting out full swing
again. Keep in mind, I do this for fitness and the
enjoyment of the fresh air, and not to get from point A to
B under a certain time. My average speed is 20-25 km/h if
the weather conditions are good.

My bike is a pretty decent hybrid. 2003 Rocky Mountain Metro
like this one:
http://www.bikes.com/bikes/2003/excursion/metro.aspx

Another thing to keep in mind is that I'm 32 years old, have
Type 2 diabetes, weigh 260 lbs on a 5'10" frame...so yea,
I'm fat and getting old...sounds grim doesn't it? LOL

I remember 2-3 years ago being able to do 75-100 km rides
and feeling it, but was still enjoyable, and I still weighed
the same as I do now. Now, I seem to bonk out at 15-20 kms,
where the rest of the trip after 20 kms is pure struggle.
Now becuase of my diabetes, taking pure carb gels or similar
would be suicide. I have a lower carb(15-20g carb), high
protein bar around the 10-12 km range, but that doesn't seem
to change anything. Anybody have ideas? I've only done about
3-4 trips in the 15-20 km range so far this year. Do I just
need to continue and ramp up the endurance?

Second question. My hands have always been a problem on long
rides. Numbness, pain, etc...maybe cause of the extra weight
on them. I have the biggest, and softess grips I could find,
I wear padded gloves, and I also have to end bars to give me
a few different holding positions. It does help somewhat,
but I still suffer quite a bit by the end of the ride.
Anyone have any suggestions or ideas that could help in this
area, other than "get a recumbant"? LOL

Sorry if this sorta question is in the wrong newsgroup.

Thanks in advance.

Ray

I am a type 1 diabetic and have been so for just over 40
years. Last autumn I did a 50 km bike ride for a fundraiser
(Diabetes Association) and there were pit stops every 8 to
10 kms. every 12 or so kms i checked my blood sugars and
ate some fruit at a piut stop if necessary. Otherwise, it
was just water to keep hydrated. I was possibly the oldest
rider (55 years old at the time) but returned in the middle
of the pack.

Just use your blood tester to check things out and drink
fluids. If you need to boost your blood sugar, well you know
what to do. Since you are not in a competition the time
spent doing the finger ***** and bkood test will pay BIG
dividends. The cycling will be good for your metabolism and
body, but do the monitoring! The monitoring will also tell
you what you need to do with your medication too - remember
the effects take some time to sort out AND be careful.

I am planning some long touring trips requiring about 125
km/day for about a month, and it will take a bit of time to
get my own levels sorted out too. More than 4 tests per day
for the first week or so...

Ken Winnipeg, Canada

P.S. see additional comment at the end.

Ray wrote:

> OK, I've been riding for a few years, but.... snip...
> Another thing to keep in mind is that I'm 32 years old,
> have Type 2 diabetes, weigh 260 lbs on a 5'10" frame...so
> yea, I'm fat and getting old...sounds grim doesn't it? LOL
>
> I remember 2-3 years ago being able to do 75-100 km rides
> and feeling it, but was still enjoyable, and I still
> weighed the same as I do now. Now, I seem to bonk out at
> 15-20 kms, where the rest of the trip after 20 kms is pure
> struggle. Now becuase of my diabetes, taking pure carb
> gels or similar would be suicide. I have a lower carb(15-
> 20g carb), high protein bar around the 10-12 km range, but
> that doesn't seem to change anything. Anybody have ideas?
> I've only done about 3-4 trips in the 15-20 km range so
> far this year. Do I just need to continue and ramp up the
> endurance?
>
> Second question. My hands have always been a problem on
> long rides. Numbness, pain, etc...maybe cause of the extra
> weight on them. I have the biggest, and softess grips I
> could find, I wear padded gloves, and I also have to end
> bars to give me a few different holding positions. It does
> help somewhat, but I still suffer quite a bit by the end
> of the ride.

I also have this problem, but for now I put up with it. I
don't have this problem with my old Peugeot road bike, just
with my Chinese-made MTB. The road bike has the curved type
of handle bars from the '70s while the MTB is like yours.
Perhaps it is the seat and bar heights and your torso weight
on your arms. Are your arms straight or are they bent?

Thanks Ken.

I try and keep my arms bent a little, and I actually have it
setup so I'm not so bent over when riding. The adjustable
stem on the bike is right up and I have the seat about 1/2"
lower than the hand grips.

Yea, I have a 2L Camel back for liquids, and a couple of
bike mounted bottle and go through alot of it. I
experienced severe dehydration on one of my 100k rides 3
years ago and thought I was going to die. The cramps in the
calf and quads was simply amazing, let alone the diziness.
Then it got worse...I got a flat about 5 kms from the end
of that ride..LOL Ever since then, I alway have more water
than I need.

My diabetes isn't that bad as I can now control BG with diet
alone, no meds. I do the lower carb meals for breakfast and
lunch and have a regular meal at supper time. It's been
working out real good, plus I'm losing 1-2 lbs a week. I
hate taking meds, so I do whatever I can to try and avoid
them. My BG never sees higher than 8 after a meal (without
meds) so I'm happy with that. This AM after my 23 km ride,
when I got home I checked my BG and was at 6.2.

Ray

news:[email protected]...

"Ray" <[email protected]> writes:

> OK, I've been riding for a few years, but in the last 2
> have declined significantly..not sure why..negative
> motivation maybe. But now, I'm starting out full swing
> again. Keep in mind, I do this for fitness and the
> enjoyment of the fresh air, and not to get from point A to
> B under a certain time. My average speed is 20-25 km/h if
> the weather conditions are good.
>
> My bike is a pretty decent hybrid. 2003 Rocky Mountain
> Metro like this one:
> http://www.bikes.com/bikes/2003/excursion/metro.aspx
>
> Another thing to keep in mind is that I'm 32 years old,
> have Type 2 diabetes, weigh 260 lbs on a 5'10" frame...so
> yea, I'm fat and getting old...sounds grim doesn't it? LOL

Well, actually, that does sound grim in terms of your long
term health prospects. I know way too many Type II diabetics
missing legs, kidney function, eyesight... I'm sure you
already know about this. IMHO it gives you two great reasons
to ride a bike- it's fun and it'll improve your health.
Heck, if you lost the 80 excess pounds your blood sugars
might remain in the normal range without treatment.

> I remember 2-3 years ago being able to do 75-100 km rides
> and feeling it, but was still enjoyable, and I still
> weighed the same as I do now. Now, I seem to bonk out at
> 15-20 kms, where the rest of the trip after 20 kms is pure
> struggle. Now becuase of my diabetes, taking pure carb
> gels or similar would be suicide. I have a lower carb(15-
> 20g carb), high protein bar around the 10-12 km range, but
> that doesn't seem to change anything. Anybody have ideas?
> I've only done about 3-4 trips in the 15-20 km range so
> far this year. Do I just need to continue and ramp up the
> endurance?

Has your medication changed in the intervening time? That
can make a difference. You may very well need to adjust
your hypoglycemics or your diet if you're getting more
exercise. Many diabetics have their blood sugar drop when
exercising more than a normal person does, and have to
compensate for this.

Of course, it may just be that you're less fit than you were
before and need to build up, so your last question may hit
the nail on the head. That'll just be a matter of time. I
think if I were in your shoes I'd have a chat with my
endocrinologist (or whatever doctor you see- I would
recommend seeing an endocrinologist, however).

> Second question. My hands have always been a problem on
> long rides. Numbness, pain, etc...maybe cause of the extra
> weight on them. I have the biggest, and softess grips I
> could find, I wear padded gloves, and I also have to end
> bars to give me a few different holding positions. It does
> help somewhat, but I still suffer quite a bit by the end
> of the ride. Anyone have any suggestions or ideas that
> could help in this area, other than "get a recumbant"? LOL

There are several possibilities. Numb hands is a very common
problem for bicyclists, especially in the little finger and
outer half of the ring finger. This is caused by the
compression of the ulnar nerve against the handlebar. I
personally find that I cannot ride flat bars, with or
without bar ends, without this being a problem within a half
hour. Drop (road) bars, rarely a problem. Sometimes getting
the bars up higher is enough to solve the problem. You might
consider having a professional bike fitting done at a good
bike shop (if you tell us where you live, someone may be
able to suggest a specific shop).

I did a 55 km ride today and averaged 21.3 km/h according to
my bike puter. Even though it was really hot around here, I
felt good until around the 45-48 km range, then, I had to
slow down drastically (15-17 km/h) to keep my heart rate in
the 150-155 range. So I guess that was the bonking
point..LOL

I had a lower carb/prot bar around the 20km mark and still
felt good. Around the 35 km mark I stopped at the store and
got a small pita type sandwhich with a can of V8 juice, and
another 1.5 L of water to refill the Camel back.

Still didn't feel that bad once I got back to the truck so I
think it's just a matter of me ramping up again.

When I got home (30 mins after the ride), my blood glucose
(BG) was at 5.7 which is normal so I was happy about that.

Thanks for the info guys. I will keep biking, maybe try and
get 15-20 kms 2-3 times during the week evenings and a solid
50-65 kms for next weekend again.

BTW, I'm located in Hamilton.

Ray

Blue.local...