A new year's resolution for all of us

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Simon Brooke, Jan 4, 2008.

  1. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    Could we all make a set of new years resolutions as follows:

    * I shall not contribute to any thread on uk.rec.cycling which is primarily
    about motoring
    * I shall not follow up to JNugent, Matt B or any of the other well-known
    safespeed trolls
    * I shall not contribute to any thread on uk.rec.cycling which is cross-
    posted to any other group

    ;; killing [afghan|iraqi] civilians is not 'justice'

    Tags:

  2. Matt B

    Matt B Guest

    Simon Brooke wrote:
    > Could we all make a set of new years resolutions as follows:

    Are you telling us, or asking us?

    > * I shall not contribute to any thread on uk.rec.cycling which is primarily
    > about motoring

    What's the point of that one? You're not interested in road safety
    issues that may impact cyclists?

    > * I shall not follow up to JNugent, Matt B or any of the other well-known
    > safespeed trolls

    You've already broken that one - remember?
    <http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk.rec.cycling/msg/993f55cc41d29312>

    Was it the resultant egg on your face that prompted this post?
    <http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk.rec.cycling/msg/7499657a0bd77b93>
    <http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk.rec.cycling/msg/b462f072e7eb8199>

    > * I shall not contribute to any thread on uk.rec.cycling which is cross-
    > posted to any other group

    Maybe some of the narrower-minded of the urc old-guard will follow your
    diktat, but I've noticed how refreshingly open-minded some of the newer
    contributors here are, so I doubt that they'll toe the line.

    --
    Matt B

  3. Matt B wrote:
    > Maybe some of the narrower-minded of the urc old-guard will follow your
    > diktat, but I've noticed how refreshingly open-minded some of the newer
    > contributors here are, so I doubt that they'll toe the line.

    Another way of putting that might be "I've noticed that some of the
    newer contributors haven't yet realised I'm a single-issue poster with
    no interest in discussing any other aspect of cycling, and while I know
    that sooner or later they'll put two and two together I hope the influx
    will continue so that they in turn will be replaced by more easy targets
    for my tedious hobbyhorsery".

    It's a shame that the web-based forums all have such comparatively sucky
    user interfaces, because they really are where the actual discussion
    happens these days. Usenet is dead, film at any time you want.

    -dan

  4. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Simon Brooke wrote:
    > Could we all make a set of new years resolutions as follows:
    >
    > * I shall not contribute to any thread on uk.rec.cycling which is
    > primarily about motoring
    > * I shall not follow up to JNugent, Matt B or any of the other
    > well-known safespeed trolls
    > * I shall not contribute to any thread on uk.rec.cycling which is
    > cross- posted to any other group

    Just #2 for me. I /might/ be interested in a motoring thread one day, and I
    don't object to threads x-posted to a couple of relevant groups.

    ~PB

  5. wafflycat

    wafflycat Guest

    "Simon Brooke" <simon@jasmine.org.uk> wrote in message
    > Could we all make a set of new years resolutions as follows:
    >
    > * I shall not contribute to any thread on uk.rec.cycling which is
    > primarily
    > about motoring

    Actually, I enjoy motoring as well as being on the bike (or trike). Maybe I
    don't notice them, but are many threads *primarily* about motoring?

    > * I shall not follow up to JNugent, Matt B or any of the other well-known
    > safespeed trolls

    Some of us have the trolls kill-filed anyhow :)

    > * I shall not contribute to any thread on uk.rec.cycling which is cross-
    > posted to any other group

    I try not to cross-post anyhow, but occasionally have to slap my own wrist
    :)

  6. marc

    marc Guest

    wafflycat wrote:

    > "Simon Brooke" <simon@jasmine.org.uk> wrote in message
    >> Could we all make a set of new years resolutions as follows:
    >>
    >> * I shall not contribute to any thread on uk.rec.cycling which is
    >> primarily
    >> about motoring

    > Actually, I enjoy motoring as well as being on the bike (or trike).
    > Maybe I don't notice them, but are many threads *primarily* about motoring?
    >
    >> * I shall not follow up to JNugent, Matt B or any of the other well-known
    >> safespeed trolls

    > Some of us have the trolls kill-filed anyhow :)

    I have the mattb one kill filed but keep forgetting the nugent one, I'll
    have to try and remember the next time he pops up

  7. Adam Lea

    Adam Lea Guest

    "Simon Brooke" <simon@jasmine.org.uk> wrote in message

    > * I shall not follow up to JNugent, Matt B or any of the other well-known
    > safespeed trolls

    I do find that sometimes these two make some valid points. Looking through
    the archives I have found some interesting debates. It is good to have
    people with differing points of view as it would be boring if everyone
    agreed with everyone else all the time.

    Also, if I want to disagree with someone about an emotive subject is there a
    "right" way and a "wrong" way to go about this?

    Adam

  8. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    Adam Lea wrote:

    > "Simon Brooke" <simon@jasmine.org.uk> wrote in message
    >>
    >> * I shall not follow up to JNugent, Matt B or any of the other well-known
    >> safespeed trolls

    > I do find that sometimes these two make some valid points. Looking through
    > the archives I have found some interesting debates. It is good to have
    > people with differing points of view as it would be boring if everyone
    > agreed with everyone else all the time.
    >
    > Also, if I want to disagree with someone about an emotive subject is there
    > a "right" way and a "wrong" way to go about this?

    The right way is to go over to uk.rec.driving.frothing.at.the.mouth and do
    it there.

    Morning had broken, and there was nothing we could do but wait
    patiently for the RAC to arrive.

  9. barry taylor

    barry taylor Guest

    Amen to that. . .

    :
    : * I shall not contribute to any thread on uk.rec.cycling which is
    primarily
    : about motoring
    : * I shall not follow up to JNugent, Matt B or any of the other
    well-known
    : safespeed trolls
    : * I shall not contribute to any thread on uk.rec.cycling which is
    cross-
    : posted to any other group
    :
    : --
    : simon@jasmine.org.uk (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/
    :
    : ;; killing [afghan|iraqi] civilians is not 'justice'
    :

    ---

    a friendly growl from the bear on the Zephyr that roars

    __ __ __ _ __
    /__/ / /__/ /_ /_\ /_ /
    /_ / _ / /__/ /__ / \ / \ ....Kawasaki Zephyr

    barry j taylor < taylorja@aapt.net.au >
    Ulysses #25871: netrider #549
    Skype: ursusaustralis

    ~~~ ~ _@
    ~~ ~ _- \,
    ~~ (*)/ (*) . . . bjbear on his treadly

  10. Paul - xxx

    Paul - xxx Guest

    Simon Brooke wibbled

    > Could we all make a set of new years resolutions as follows:
    >
    > * I shall not contribute to any thread on uk.rec.cycling which is
    > primarily about motoring
    > * I shall not follow up to JNugent, Matt B or any of the other
    > well-known safespeed trolls
    > * I shall not contribute to any thread on uk.rec.cycling which is
    > cross- posted to any other group

    Nope.

    Just because you don't want to see other viewpoints, doesn't mean
    everyones outlook is so blinkered.

    --
    Paul - xxx

    '96/'97 Landrover Discovery 300 Tdi 'Big and Butch'
    '98 Suzuki DR 200 Djebel 'Small but perfectly formed'
    Dyna Tech Cro-Mo comp "When I feel fit enough'

  11. Rob Morley

    Rob Morley Guest

    In article <xn0fktov71l0os000@news.individual.net>, Paul - xxx
    notcheckedever@hotmail.com says...
    > Simon Brooke wibbled
    >
    > > Could we all make a set of new years resolutions as follows:
    > >
    > > * I shall not contribute to any thread on uk.rec.cycling which is
    > > primarily about motoring
    > > * I shall not follow up to JNugent, Matt B or any of the other
    > > well-known safespeed trolls
    > > * I shall not contribute to any thread on uk.rec.cycling which is
    > > cross- posted to any other group

    > Nope.
    >
    > Just because you don't want to see other viewpoints, doesn't mean
    > everyones outlook is so blinkered.

    He didn't say he wouldn't be reading all the drivel, just that he
    wouldn't be stirring the pot.

  12. Ekul Namsob

    Ekul Namsob Guest

    Simon Brooke <simon@jasmine.org.uk> wrote:

    > Could we all make a set of new years resolutions as follows:
    >
    > * I shall not contribute to any thread on uk.rec.cycling which is primarily
    > about motoring

    I'm willing to be held to that one.

    > * I shall not follow up to JNugent, Matt B or any of the other well-known
    > safespeed trolls

    I am happy to killfile any thread that is going round in circles.
    However, you continue to be unfair to suggest that Matt B is a safespeed
    troll and, as far as I can recall, have yet to provide any evidence that
    he is.

    > * I shall not contribute to any thread on uk.rec.cycling which is cross-
    > posted to any other group

    No, sometimes such discussion is relevant and constructive. When
    discussion ceases to be constructive that is when it is better to make
    one's excuses and leave the discussion.

    Cheers,
    Luke

    exile in Lancashire <http://www.shrimper.org.uk>

  13. Martin Dann

    Martin Dann Guest

    wafflycat wrote:

    > "Simon Brooke" <simon@jasmine.org.uk> wrote in message
    >> Could we all make a set of new years resolutions as follows:
    >>
    >> * I shall not contribute to any thread on uk.rec.cycling which is
    >> primarily
    >> about motoring

    > Actually, I enjoy motoring as well as being on the bike (or trike).
    > Maybe I don't notice them, but are many threads *primarily* about motoring?

    I don't see many primarily about motoring, but their are a lot that
    touch on motoring in a way that directly applies to cycling. e.g. Road
    safety.

    >> * I shall not follow up to JNugent, Matt B or any of the other well-known
    >> safespeed trolls

    > Some of us have the trolls kill-filed anyhow :)

    The problem is that they occasionally jump out of my kill files, and I
    usually put Matt B straight back in, but at the moment I am a bit bored.

    >> * I shall not contribute to any thread on uk.rec.cycling which is cross-
    >> posted to any other group

    > I try not to cross-post anyhow, but occasionally have to slap my own
    > wrist :)

    Cross posted threads are not by definition bad. Many can be good.
    However some crossposted to e.g. uk.wreck.driving will nearly always
    descend into a troll/flame war.

  14. Ekul Namsob

    Ekul Namsob Guest

    Martin Dann <martin.dann@virgin.net> wrote:

    > wafflycat wrote:
    > >
    > > "Simon Brooke" <simon@jasmine.org.uk> wrote in message

    > >> * I shall not contribute to any thread on uk.rec.cycling which is cross-
    > >> posted to any other group

    > > I try not to cross-post anyhow, but occasionally have to slap my own
    > > wrist :)

    > Cross posted threads are not by definition bad. Many can be good.
    > However some crossposted to e.g. uk.wreck.driving will nearly always
    > descend into a troll/flame war.

    Once the idiots have been killfiled (I do this simply by killing the
    subthreads in which they appeared), it swiftly becomes possible to find
    those who are willing to engage in intelligent debate. It should be
    borne in mind by a few more people on this group that 'holder of views
    with which I disagree' does not equal 'troll'.

    Cheers,
    Luke

    exile in Lancashire <http://www.shrimper.org.uk>

  15. Matt B

    Matt B Guest

    dan@telent.net wrote:
    > Matt B wrote:
    >> Maybe some of the narrower-minded of the urc old-guard will follow
    >> your diktat, but I've noticed how refreshingly open-minded some of the
    >> newer contributors here are, so I doubt that they'll toe the line.

    > Another way of putting that might be "I've noticed that some of the
    > newer contributors haven't yet realised I'm a single-issue poster with
    > no interest in discussing any other aspect of cycling, and while I know
    > that sooner or later they'll put two and two together I hope the influx
    > will continue so that they in turn will be replaced by more easy targets
    > for my tedious hobbyhorsery".

    My remark covers /all/ the points in the original diktat, you are,
    apparently interested in just attacking me. Yet that remark is
    obviously not about me - or is there a specific 'single issue' out of
    the multitude of issues that I post about that you have difficulties
    accepting the views of others on?

    > It's a shame that the web-based forums all have such comparatively sucky
    > user interfaces, because they really are where the actual discussion
    > happens these days.

    "web-based forums" such as?

    --
    Matt B

  16. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    Ekul Namsob wrote:

    > Martin Dann <martin.dann@virgin.net> wrote:
    >
    >> wafflycat wrote:
    >> >
    >> > "Simon Brooke" <simon@jasmine.org.uk> wrote in message

    >> > I try not to cross-post anyhow, but occasionally have to slap my own
    >> > wrist :)

    >> Cross posted threads are not by definition bad. Many can be good.
    >> However some crossposted to e.g. uk.wreck.driving will nearly always
    >> descend into a troll/flame war.

    > Once the idiots have been killfiled (I do this simply by killing the
    > subthreads in which they appeared), it swiftly becomes possible to find
    > those who are willing to engage in intelligent debate. It should be
    > borne in mind by a few more people on this group that 'holder of views
    > with which I disagree' does not equal 'troll'.

    Oh, indeed. My own killfile includes people who advance views with which I
    agree, but do so repetitiously and in a way intended to provoke argument.

    If someone wants to come along and make a cogent, coherent and well-mannered
    argument that it is to the greater good of the community as a whole that
    motorists should be permitted to kill people with impunity, then I'm
    prepared not merely to listen but to engage in debate.

    It's people who endlessly repeat the same tired and dishonest arguments
    despite repeated rebuttal that end up in my bozo bin.

    IMHO, there aren't enough committed Christians, but that's care
    in the community for you. -- Ben Evans

  17. Ekul Namsob

    Ekul Namsob Guest

    Simon Brooke <simon@jasmine.org.uk> wrote:

    > Ekul Namsob wrote:

    > > Once the idiots have been killfiled (I do this simply by killing the
    > > subthreads in which they appeared), it swiftly becomes possible to find
    > > those who are willing to engage in intelligent debate. It should be
    > > borne in mind by a few more people on this group that 'holder of views
    > > with which I disagree' does not equal 'troll'.

    > Oh, indeed. My own killfile includes people who advance views with which I
    > agree, but do so repetitiously and in a way intended to provoke argument.
    >
    > If someone wants to come along and make a cogent, coherent and well-mannered
    > argument that it is to the greater good of the community as a whole that
    > motorists should be permitted to kill people with impunity, then I'm
    > prepared not merely to listen but to engage in debate.

    I'm not sure anyone on uk.rec.driving has such views...

    > It's people who endlessly repeat the same tired and dishonest arguments
    > despite repeated rebuttal that end up in my bozo bin.

    Which is fair enough.

    Cheers,
    Luke

    exile in Lancashire <http://www.shrimper.org.uk>