A Right Pain in the knee !!!!

mlc@40

Jan 1, 2007
....... well it's my left knee actually

I've been training for a long distance, multi day race for the past 7 months, slowly increasing the training volume with no problems........ until two weeks ago. Nearing the end of a 76km ride I began to get severe knee pain to the extent that I popped a couple of pain killers to get me to the end of the ride. Off the bike there is no pain but as soon at I apply downward pedal pressure - Bang !!!!

After an internet self diagnosis I got myself off to the Doctors, Physio and LBS who have all offered slightly different advice in terms of recovery time and treatment - some say rest, some say contiune with light training, some say get after it !!! So the question is ..... what to do ?? :confused:

I have some local events coming up over the next few weeks and would clearly like to participate in them - but don't want to prolong my recovery or even worse aggrivate the probelm further ... and miss the BIG ONE !!!!

Are there any multi skilled Doctors, Physio, Agony Aunts, Clairvoyants out there who can offer a riders perspective of what to do ????

Cheers

MLC@40

I suggest you rest your knees for a month. you may do short distance light spinning( 25kms or less ), avoid pressure, apply warm compress twice a day.
Avoid the local races to prepare for the big one. but still the best would be to see your doctor.

I was in the same boat, i had been training pretty hard for my first race, and have strained my right knee. And only hurts when i am on the bike..Mine appears to actually be the upper part of my calf and and looks to be a result of my seat height and seat position in combination with overtraining.. Is your pain the front or back of your knee, cause there generally are different meanings for the 2 areas. Front is that you are pointing ur toes,or too far forward. the back of the knee is too far back or too high in the seat post.