A short walk around Ard Crags

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Rooney, Feb 19, 2005.

  1. Rooney

    Rooney Guest

    Arrived in Keswick about tea time yesterday. The first B&B we looked
    at was no smoking, the second a nice old house overlooking the river
    with views from a large bay window across to Latrigg. Run by a very
    friendly couple, into walking, with an equally friendly dog/hedgehog
    sort of thing. £23 pppn. Several pubs were visited and food was
    consumed in quantity.
    This morning, after the compulsory hearty breakfast we set off from
    Newlands Valley, up Rigg Beck and down Sail Beck, and back over
    Newlands Hause. These are good, grassy paths for much of the walk,
    with good views and few people. Even the walk back over the Hause can
    largely be done on the verge, and there was hardly any traffic anyway.
    We again had to visit a pub in Buttermere for Black Sheep bitter and
    very nice home-made food. It was quiet when we arrived but soon
    filled up - we amused ourselves by classifying people according to how
    muddy they were - most were spotlessly clean with pristine boots, but
    lots of nice clothes.
    Some very icy paths, particularly in the dips where you cross the
    little becks, and a dusting of snow, all under deep blue skies. We
    stayed out of the wind by keeping off the tops, though here and there
    I had to use my wife as a tripod.
    It had clouded over and was beginning to snow as we left Buttermere -
    just a few flakes.

  2. Tim Jackson

    Tim Jackson Guest

    Rooney wrote on Sat, 19 Feb 2005 19:45:39 +0000....
    > Even the walk back over the Hause can
    > largely be done on the verge, and there was hardly any traffic anyway.

    So you really did walk "around" Ard Crags and not over them? I feel
    cheated; I downloaded this post in search of information on a route
    I've never done. :)

    (Well, OK, I've never walked all the way from Buttermere to Newlands
    on the verge of the road either, but I've driven it many times.)

    > We again had to visit a pub in Buttermere for Black Sheep bitter

    A friend of mine always refers to our favourite tipple in the Bridge
    Hotel as Dead Sheep...

    --
    Tim Jackson
    news@winterbourne.freeserve.invalid

  3. Rooney

    Rooney Guest

    On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 20:16:42 -0000, Tim Jackson
    <news@winterbourne.freeserve.invalid> wrote:

    >Rooney wrote on Sat, 19 Feb 2005 19:45:39 +0000....
    >> Even the walk back over the Hause can
    >> largely be done on the verge, and there was hardly any traffic anyway.

    >So you really did walk "around" Ard Crags and not over them?

    Afraid so! We had no route planned - just took it as it came. But we'd
    had a late night and woke early, so not much sleep, and weren't in the
    mood for anything energetic or very windy. A 10 mile stroll was
    enough.

    > I feel
    >cheated; I downloaded this post in search of information on a route
    >I've never done. :)
    >
    >(Well, OK, I've never walked all the way from Buttermere to Newlands
    >on the verge of the road either, but I've driven it many times.)

    As road walks go, it's quite pleasant - good views, mostly downhill
    after the short initial climb, and lots of birds lower down
    (woodpeckers, redwings, tits).

    >> We again had to visit a pub in Buttermere for Black Sheep bitter

    >A friend of mine always refers to our favourite tipple in the Bridge
    >Hotel as Dead Sheep...

    They do a rather nice home-made beefburger and delicious cottage pie.

  4. GeoffC

    GeoffC Guest

    Rooney wrote:
    > This morning, after the compulsory hearty breakfast we set off from
    > Newlands Valley, up Rigg Beck and down Sail Beck, and back over
    > Newlands Hause. These are good, grassy paths for much of the walk,
    > with good views and few people.

    The Rigg Beck / Sail beck route (assuming you mean the path that roughly
    contours the valley part way up) is a fine walk. We combined it once
    with the low-to-mid level walk up Coledale beck past the Force Crag mine
    to make a circuit from Braithwaite, for a day when the tops were in
    clag. It's too good a walk to consign to a dull misty day though.
    Regards
    --
    GeoffC

    http://v-g.me.uk

    Take out The Enemy to reply

  5. Rooney

    Rooney Guest

    On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 18:37:32 +0000, GeoffC <vTheEnemygy@v-g.me.uk>
    wrote:

    >Rooney wrote:
    >> This morning, after the compulsory hearty breakfast we set off from
    >> Newlands Valley, up Rigg Beck and down Sail Beck, and back over
    >> Newlands Hause. These are good, grassy paths for much of the walk,
    >> with good views and few people.

    >The Rigg Beck / Sail beck route (assuming you mean the path that roughly
    >contours the valley part way up) is a fine walk. We combined it once
    >with the low-to-mid level walk up Coledale beck past the Force Crag mine
    >to make a circuit from Braithwaite, for a day when the tops were in
    >clag. It's too good a walk to consign to a dull misty day though.
    >Regards

    Yes - it's a well positioned path. Very enjoyable.

Share This Page