AA mag...

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by \ Dave, Mar 2, 2004.

  1. \ Dave

    \ Dave Guest

    Received my AA membership mag over the weekend. The cover shows a pinstripe-suited gent with bowler
    hat aboard a unicycle (Joe Marshall, anyone know him??). Apparently he can complete his trip to the
    office, 9 miles across London, in 50 minutes. This is 10 minutes quicker than by car and roughly the
    same as public transport. Glad to see cycling is being taken as a viable daily transport
    alternative.

    Dave (not giving any hints as to whether this is a straight or cynical post ;-)

    Tags:

  2. Paul Selwood

    Paul Selwood Guest

    (t'other) Dave wrote:

    > Received my AA membership mag over the weekend. The cover shows a pinstripe-suited gent with
    > bowler hat aboard a unicycle (Joe Marshall, anyone know him??). Apparently he can complete his
    > trip to the office, 9 miles across London, in 50 minutes. This is 10 minutes quicker than by car
    > and roughly the same as public transport. Glad to see cycling is being taken as a viable daily
    > transport alternative.

    I know Joe. Very good unicyclist - did the 24hr Red Bull Mtn Mayhem solo on a unicycle. I know he
    commutes by unicycle and can easily believe it is quicker than a car in London traffic.

    Paul

  3. Mark McN

    Mark McN Guest

    Reply to (t'other) Dave
    > Apparently he can complete his trip to the office, 9 miles across London, in 50 minutes. This is
    > 10 minutes quicker than by car and roughly the same as public transport. Glad to see cycling is
    > being taken as a viable daily transport alternative.

    I glanced through the little mag which fell out of the Grauniad on Saturday, which was sponsored by
    a car-manufacturer.

    There was a note saying that Editorial Policy wasn't influenced by the sponsor; I was just limbering
    up to curl the lip at this, when I found myself reading that in cities, bikes beat cars hands-down
    in the practical-commuting stakes, and make you healthier as well. I know *we* know this, but it was
    nice to see it where you wouldn't expect
    it.

    --
    Mark, UK. Nobody can be lucky all the time; so when your luck deserts you in some fashion don't
    think you've been abandoned in your prime but rather that you're saving up your ration.

  4. James

    James Guest

    Mark McN <mark@gesualdo.freeserveMUSTGETABETTERADDY.co.uk> wrote in message news:<c22uer$1j9$1@news6.svr.pol.co.uk>...
    > I glanced through the little mag which fell out of the Grauniad on Saturday, which was sponsored
    > by a car-manufacturer.
    >
    > There was a note saying that Editorial Policy wasn't influenced by the sponsor;

    I think it would be less depressing that a national daily churned out a paid for advertorial wholly
    dictated by the sponsor who chose to pull a few punches to make themselves *seem* credibly
    independant than to think that that really does represent their independant editorial line. The mag
    was a load of crap (imho)

    best wishes

Share This Page