AA mag...

\ Dave

Guest
Received my AA membership mag over the weekend. The cover shows a pinstripe-suited gent with bowler
hat aboard a unicycle (Joe Marshall, anyone know him??). Apparently he can complete his trip to the
office, 9 miles across London, in 50 minutes. This is 10 minutes quicker than by car and roughly the
same as public transport. Glad to see cycling is being taken as a viable daily transport
alternative.

Dave (not giving any hints as to whether this is a straight or cynical post ;-)

(t'other) Dave wrote:

> Received my AA membership mag over the weekend. The cover shows a pinstripe-suited gent with
> bowler hat aboard a unicycle (Joe Marshall, anyone know him??). Apparently he can complete his
> trip to the office, 9 miles across London, in 50 minutes. This is 10 minutes quicker than by car
> and roughly the same as public transport. Glad to see cycling is being taken as a viable daily
> transport alternative.

I know Joe. Very good unicyclist - did the 24hr Red Bull Mtn Mayhem solo on a unicycle. I know he
commutes by unicycle and can easily believe it is quicker than a car in London traffic.

Paul

Reply to (t'other) Dave
> Apparently he can complete his trip to the office, 9 miles across London, in 50 minutes. This is
> 10 minutes quicker than by car and roughly the same as public transport. Glad to see cycling is
> being taken as a viable daily transport alternative.

I glanced through the little mag which fell out of the Grauniad on Saturday, which was sponsored by
a car-manufacturer.

There was a note saying that Editorial Policy wasn't influenced by the sponsor; I was just limbering
up to curl the lip at this, when I found myself reading that in cities, bikes beat cars hands-down
in the practical-commuting stakes, and make you healthier as well. I know *we* know this, but it was
nice to see it where you wouldn't expect
it.

--
Mark, UK. Nobody can be lucky all the time; so when your luck deserts you in some fashion don't
think you've been abandoned in your prime but rather that you're saving up your ration.

Mark McN <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I glanced through the little mag which fell out of the Grauniad on Saturday, which was sponsored
> by a car-manufacturer.
>
> There was a note saying that Editorial Policy wasn't influenced by the sponsor;

I think it would be less depressing that a national daily churned out a paid for advertorial wholly
dictated by the sponsor who chose to pull a few punches to make themselves *seem* credibly
independant than to think that that really does represent their independant editorial line. The mag
was a load of **** (imho)

best wishes