Advice on a Specialized Allez Elite, unknown year?

dorkyderek

Feb 24, 2014
Hey guys,

Completely new to cycling, haven't been on a bike since probably over 10 years ago when I was still a pre-teen. Looking to invest in an entry-level road bike, and I've been browsing Craigslist. Came upon this Specialized Allez Elite road bike, link below, everything looks good except I can't tell how old this is. I went through Specalized's website and bike archives, and couldn't quite identify what year this is. Not to be super-cynical, but I don't know if I trust the seller's word as it looks older than he claims it is.

I'd appreciate any advice you have on this bike, and whether or not it's worth the price!

Thanks so much.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/bik/4348939919.html

Reactions: hullhull10
With just quick search, specialized was using the newer "bent" hydroformed top tube allready in 2011 so this one must be older then that.

Allthough used bikes sell for around half the price then when new, this one might be a bit precey if its 5 or 6 years old.

Plus its aluminium and aluminium doesnt really have the same time durability as steel.

(How many times did I write that in this forum allready? I think I am becoming like one of those old people that were doing something for some time and ended up being obsessed with a certain aspect of it.

I was watching this old racer on tv once making a review about a bike and in the 10 min he spoke about it he mentioned "getting into corners" about 20 times. He must have had alot of accidents whilst "getting into the (damn) corners"...)

Oh yeah back to that aluminium - not as fatigue damage resistant as steel bikes - bike. Well, the brifters (which are the most expensive part on the bike) look like Sora or Tiagra. Dont know how much these are new or if those are 9, 8 or 10 speed. You might wanna check that too.

Basically it seems a bit expensive... You might get a 2013 Allez new from old stock for that money from a shop.

It's old. "All original equipment" may mean worn out chain and cassette, and possibly worn out chain rings. The chain is dirty and doesn't look well maintained. Yellowed and cracked "dork disc" (the plastic spoke guard in back of the cassette). Looks like 8 speeds, too. And who knows what kind of shape the wheels are in. To me, that's a $200 bike, tops.

You can do better. I'd rather have a NOS 2013 basic Allez with 8 speed Claris, which as Volnx said, you could probably score for the same price, or a little bit more. 56 cm is a very common size and you may still find a few left-over 2013s around you. The SF Bay Area seems to be a hotbed of overpriced used bikes.