All highly civilised

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Wafflycathcsdir, Apr 13, 2003.

  1. All highly civilised.

    Glorious sunny weather in deepest rural Norfolk this April day; Spring is sprung, the lambs gambol
    in the fields and the neighbour's chickens call round for their daily feast from "She Who Is a
    Sucker When It Comes To Animals" namely, me.

    I decided the day was far too good to waste on stuff like *housework* and got ready to go out on my
    bike. Having a dodgy knee at the moment, I knew I would have to be sensible and stick to cycling
    slowly in low gears so I wouldn't strain my knee at all. Vernon decided to join me on my cycle ride,
    so we set off in a general easterly direction.

    Today is the first real short-sleeved top day, so I smothered my few bare bits in factor 45, insect
    repellent and swallowed an antihistamine tablet. I applied liberal quantities of ibuprofen gel to
    the aching knees. For some reason insect life look at me out of their compound eyes and are
    immediately taken as to just how juicy and tasty I am from an insect point of view - hence the vast
    quantities of "Jungle Formula" for the wilds of Norfolk. I was probably way over the UCI threshold
    for various supposedly performance enhancing compounds, but I doubt Lance Armstrong has to worry
    about this Fatbirdonabike overtaking him on Alpe d'Huez.

    We cycled around the lanes to Castle Acre aided by a fine tailwind. Once at Castle Acre we sat
    outside a Ye Olde Worlde Tea Shoppe type place, of which there are several in the village. The owner
    brought out fresh coffee and a plate of assorted cakes. All highly civilised! After consuming a
    sweet-mince tart & half an iced-sponge bun and an Eccles cake between us (Vernon had the Eccles cake
    - I loathe them) and a couple of cups of freshly made coffee each, we set off for the journey back
    home across the lanes. The tailwind had turned into a headwind and one where, on the exposed lanes,
    it was so strong, we couldn't freewheel downhill, but had to pedal quite hard to keep going
    forwards. If didn't pedal the wind was strong enough to stop us from having any forward momentum,
    even on a downhill. The journey home took twice as long as the journey to Castle Acre due to the
    combined effect of headwind and more uphill sections on the return leg. I just stayed in a low gear
    and pedalled along slowly. Even though the headwind was quite strong, it was warm due to the
    glorious sunshine and almost cloudless blue sky.

    On getting home, I've fed the neighbour's chickens again, as they now come to the back door begging
    to be fed; I've made a fuss of a certain one-eyed black-furred lady cat who has spent the day
    soaking up the sun by lying in the patch of warm sun flooding in through the dining room patio
    doors; I've put the roast in the oven (not the neighbour's chickens), prepared the veggies and in
    about an hour we'll be having a late Sunday roast dinner.

    All highly civilised I think. I could do with lots more days like this.

    Cheers, helen s

    Sunday, 13 April 2003

    ~~~~~~~~~~

    ~~~~~~~~~~

    Tags:

  2. Grenouil

    Grenouil Guest

    "wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter" <wafflycathcs@aol.comtapeworm> wrote in message
> [...]
    headwind and more
    > uphill sections on the return leg. I just stayed in a low
    gear and pedalled
    > along slowly. Even though the headwind was quite strong,
    it was warm due to the
    > glorious sunshine and almost cloudless blue sky.
    >
    > On getting home, I've fed the neighbour's chickens again,
    as they now come to
    > the back door begging to be fed; I've made a fuss of a
    certain one-eyed
    > black-furred lady cat who has spent the day soaking up the
    sun by lying in the
    > patch of warm sun flooding in through the dining room
    patio doors; I've put the
    > roast in the oven (not the neighbour's chickens), prepared
    the veggies and in
    > about an hour we'll be having a late Sunday roast dinner.
    >
    > All highly civilised I think. I could do with lots more

    Eccles cakes are ok - but English coffee - yuck. Whatever happened to the "pot of tea"??

    But come to think of it, all I get on a ride is a cereal bar and a drink of water, so maybe not so
    bad at that.....

  3. David Kerber

    David Kerber Guest

    In article <20030413151135.16794.00000180@mb-cp.aol.com>, wafflycathcs@aol.comtapeworm says...

    > All highly civilised I think. I could do with lots more days like this.

    So could I!! Nice report.

  4. >Eccles cakes are ok - but English coffee - yuck. Whatever happened to the "pot of tea"??

    >But come to think of it, all I get on a ride is a cereal bar and a drink of water, so maybe not so
    >bad at that.....

    Nothing wrong with freshly ground coffee beans turned into glorious fresh coffee! :)

    Cheers, helen s

    ~~~~~~~~~~

    ~~~~~~~~~~

  5. >So could I!! Nice report.

    Thanks - today is yet another *lovely* day - if a tad windy, so I'm off out again! I'm making the
    most of this weather whilst it's here :)

    Cheers, helen s

    ~~~~~~~~~~

    ~~~~~~~~~~

  6. Sounds like a marvelous and highly civilized day you've spent. The only thing missing is being able
    to spell the word. By the way, get rid of the non-steroidal anti-inflammatory for the knees-----they
    will only get worse with it. Glucosamine and MSM will do wonders for such ailments. Cheers.

    Steve McDonald

  7. After three cups of crème brulee and four pigs in a blanket, I filled my water bottle and hit some
    Georgia backroads...it's a big change from Houston, being able to hear nothing but the hum of your
    tires...truly wonderful.

  8. Tomp

    Tomp Guest

    Very nice, I would say. I have a similar scenario, I call it "The Trilogy." It involves, the three
    basics of life: food (eating out preferable) ,

    order.)

    Cheers to all, have a "Trilogy" weekend!

    --

    Tp

    Freedom is not free; Free men are not equal; Equal men are not free.

Share This Page