Altura women's night vision waterproof jacket. first look

Gnufrau

Nov 21, 2015
I have been looking for a good foul weather jacket for a while now. I had all but given up when I came across the Altura Women's Night Vision Waterproof Jacket at Wiggle.com. The info said wind-proof, rain-proof, and breathable. All that for $50 after shipping to the US. Add to that it came in a UK 18 and I would be a fool to not grab it instantly! It arrived today (of course, 4 days after the rain storm...) and I've just gotten a good look at it. The fabric looks quite solid and likely to last a good long time. The reflective elements reflect even very low light levels very well and when you combine that with the bright color and built-in LED light at the rear waist, it gives excellent visibility. Two closable vents at the waist along with one under a flap at the upper back combine with a full zip to give generous ventilation. Speaking of generous, the sizing in the UK seems to give a lot more room than a similar size in the US, at least with this jacket. I wear a US 18 in most things, except that I usually have to go up a size at least for jackets. OK, so I'm not tiny. This jacket is sized at a UK 18 which I thought might fit. Turns out I could have gotten away with a UK 16 and still had room underneath for an insulating layer! On the subject of insulation, this jacket comes with cinch cords at waist and collar, as well as velcro at the cuffs. Plenty to keep the wet outside, and the warm inside in bad weather! I have yet to ride with this jacket (particularly in a storm), but at first glance, this jacket is poised to become my favorite go-to jacket whenever I need high visibility or weather protection on the bike. Have any of you in the UK (in particular) had any experiences with Altura products with regards to longevity or quality?

Finally got caught in the rain with this jacket. Saying that I'm happy with how it performed is like saying I kinda sorta like Campagnolo. . . (And when you consider that I will only use Campagnolo on any road bike I build. . .) You may list me as very, very happy with this jacket.