davidkthao

Oct 11, 2015
Hey everyone,

So I am currently a 97.5 kg (215 lbs) rider, I was 104.3 kg (230 lbs) last month, so, so far I have lost around 15 lbs in one month, and I feel great about it.

However, today, I am not feeling too great, I think. I felt like I've been training quite hard in just about the past month by incorporating cycling, HIIT cycling, weightlifting, and doing other activities on the side. Anyways, yesterday while weightlifting after finishing my HIIT cycling training, I noticed that I was able to start off with the same weights, but then I need to drop down weights because I couldn't handle the same weight after the first 2-3 sets. I usually am able to go to a higher weight and challenge myself, however yesterday I just couldn't do it. I also have noticed that my power has dropped a bit during my HIIT cycling training, usually during a 30 second sprint I can put out around 610 - 625 watts but I was barely able to hold on to 570 watts lately.

I thought I was just bonking, so I decided to take a early break yesterday, and today I've noticed my heart rate is higher than normal, I usually have a resting heart rate of 50 - 55 bpm, however today it is at around 100 - 110 bpm. Although I don't feel too tired today, I am afraid I am going into some sort of exercise fatigue and was wondering if this is normal or if I should take a rest from exercising.

I was also wondering if my nutrition may have anything to do with it. I am taking multivitamins at the moment, and also having quite a bit of protein shakes and high-carb foods such as white rice, chicken, and eggs, with occasional snacks in between. I am burning around 1300 calories - 1500 calories a day, while taking in I guess around 1900 - 2100 calories per day.

Any tips on my routine would be highly helpful,

Thanks

David

At the end of the day, only you can determine if you are pushing yourself too hard. Your body is tougher than you think it is, but that still doesn't mean you can't over do it. There is no shame in giving yourself a break or just casually riding for a few days. A lot of times you come out of those rest periods feeling better than if you had trained those days. Good luck finding that balance!

Reactions: sbayhylle
I agree with @Dame6089 that you are in the best position to evaluate your physical capacities. Losing weight is sometimes tricky that you suffer lethargy. When I would have that feeling, I would take a rest or maybe take it easy for a day or two. However, I don't stop my training (physical activities actually) for it can ruin the momentum of your weight loss. It's like riding for 10 kilometers instead of the usual 15 to give my body a break. Avoid that pitfall of pushing your body too hard for it might break and you can develop an ailment that you would later regret.

As per WHO guidelines, a dieter cannot lose more than 4 to 5 kg of body weight in a month. That is around 9 to 11 pounds per month. Cut down on your intake of white rice and refined carbs. Take whole grains instead. You may also limit your daily calorie expenditure to one thousand calories.

Eat healthy fats like Almonds, Cashews, Walnuts, Pista and Olive oil. They keep you full and energetic all through the day while helping you lose weight. Take enough rest to rejuvenate damaged tissue. Cheers!

As per WHO guidelines, a dieter cannot lose more than 4 to 5 kg of body weight in a month. That is around 9 to 11 pounds per month. Cut down on your intake of white rice and refined carbs. Take whole grains instead. You may also limit your daily calorie expenditure to one thousand calories.

Eat healthy fats like Almonds, Cashews, Walnuts, Pista and Olive oil. They keep you full and energetic all through the day while helping you lose weight. Take enough rest to rejuvenate damaged tissue. Cheers!
One thousand calorie intake per day can be dangerous. The average calories requirement is 1400Kcal per day. He should take at least 1400Kcal per day to be in the 'safe zone'. Limiting the calorie expenditure will work. In addition to reducing the calories, he also needs to take the required energy in a healthy way by eating healthy foods.

It definitely sounds like you might be over training. When the resting heart rate goes up by THAT much, that's a good sign that you are either getting sick, or you have pushed yourself too hard for too long and need to cut back a bit. Pushing yourself to the breaking point and beyond can lead to sickness because it wears down the body's defenses a little bit at a time, until you can no longer protect yourself against invading germs. I'm no athlete or anything, but it really sounds dangerous when the resting heart rate goes up by such a spectacular amount.

Personally I've never really took all that much notice about figures when I've been training and/or dieting and I've just tended to try and go off how I feel in myself. The best person to tell if you're over doing it or not is yourself, and while there are set guidelines out there about what people should do or not do, they are just that, a guideline and they don't have to be religiously stuck to.

If what you're doing is making you feel good, then keep on doing it. If you think you are going too far and you ask yourself the question, then it must be in your mind that your over doing it and so that probably means that you are.

Reactions: Damien Lee
You don't mention if you've got or consulted a qualified fitness trainer before starting with your exercise regiment. Nevertheless, it does sound like you've got a daily plan of what exercises and food you should be consuming, which is great! But if you haven't consulted with a trainer, then I highly recommend that you do so as he/she can give you valuable advice on what you're doing right and wrong.

That diet would kill me, but we're all different. Still, I would check with a dietician.

An increase in the resting heart rate that high would tell me I had a cold in the works. In the past, when biking to the point of extreme miles and not allowing my body sufficient time to recover, I have noticed I am more susceptible to colds and flu. All the more important now that I am in my retirement years. Ease up a bit, eat healthier.

Overtraining is real but easily solved by some rest. I would recommend adding a few more rest days instead of easier days. If you are loosing wt don't worry about too few calories. I lost 25 lbs in the first month of a diet a few yrs ago and it was the best thing I ever did. The next 15 lbs was more gradual but no problem at all once I kept biking and learned how to eat properly. Your body needs the shock of retraining and learning to burn stored fat. There is absolutely no hard in loosing wt fast, the greater risk is not loosing wt at all.

This is very true, Olive oil is the best fuel for when you're training hard.

I usually just train hard on alternating days, with the other days just being a regular light exercise or walking. You're the one who'll first notice if your body can no longer take the training, so it's important to rest every once in a while, as long as you're eating properly and staying hydrated.

Pushing your self too hard, is not really good, but you don't know that until your body refuse to follow your mind. Actually I do the same thing. I'm pushing my self too hard when we just playing sports, like basketball, and I reach the situation that my eyesight has blurry vision and I vomited because of too much fatigue, and it's not really good.

Do not l exceed from your physical limitations. Abusing your body might get you great weight results at first but in the end, might get your health worse. Everything we like, want and need can be achieved little by little. Take your time and do not hurry yourself in achieving your goal.

You need to take time off to let your muscles rest take 2 to 3 days off then start again with a moderate workout. Doing to much exercise will be counter productive, moderation is still the best. Try drinking Ginseng Tea.

It definitely sounds like you might be over training. When the resting heart rate goes up by THAT much, that's a good sign that you are either getting sick, or you have pushed yourself too hard for too long and need to cut back a bit. Pushing yourself to the breaking point and beyond can lead to sickness because it wears down the body's defenses a little bit at a time, until you can no longer protect yourself against invading germs. I'm no athlete or anything, but it really sounds dangerous when the resting heart rate goes up by such a spectacular amount.

I agree with you on the need for him to cut down on the level of fitness drills that he does on a daily basis and the reason is quite simple in the sense that it gets to the point where someone might even have a heart failure. Alternatively, he might want to check out at the hospital to be sure that nothing is really wrong.

One very important aspect of trying to lose weight is that we've got to know our limits and the extent that we can go before saying that we need to stop. There are drills that put too much pressure on the body and the heart in particular and cutting down on such drills is the best way to feel better once more.