Anti-pollution face masks

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Jess_042010, Nov 28, 2017.

?

Do people who commute by bicycle in urban environments wear anti pollution masks?

1. Yes

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  3. Sometimes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Jess_042010

Jess_042010 New Member

Hello all, I was wondering if I could have some advice.
    I am relatively new to commuting by bicycle and I am feeling as if I am inhaling a lot of car fumes!
    I am quite health conscious and know that cycling has a huge amount of benefits, not just for myself but for the environment also.
    I was wondering if anyone else experiences this and if anyone uses anti pollution masks?
    if so can you give me recommendations on the best ones available and also any general experiences using them?

Many thanks in advance

Jess

Tags:

2. Shrely

Shrely New Member

Protection of daily air pollution, with protective masks on it, pay attention to the protective masks here is not a general mask, it is recommended to the regular labor insurance store to buy, before buying to ask whether it can protect pm2.5, etc.

specializedwheels likes this.
  3. Jess_042010

Jess_042010 New Member

Great Thank you Shrely .. I have noticed that there are quite a few types available.. will continue to research !

4. Volnix

Volnix Well-Known Member

You are gonna look like hannibal with those.. Even the cute ones are creepy..

Anyway, I hate inhaling fumes my self, well those fumes at least. Apparently once somebody checked the air in the streets and even though it appears to be unhealthy it is not as bad in reality. But sometimes when you get stuck behind a bus, and the bus starts and puffs a huge smoke cloud all over you, well maybe that's kinda bad but I dont think a mask would make much difference.

Have you considered changing you route? Are you doing a specific route or do you have to go past the smokey roads?

Anyway, they sell those and they probably need replacement filters which I am sure that they only provide with a reassuring premioum... Maybe you could wear some industrial stuff underneath a bandana..?

Useless Fact #1: If there is a protest or something and you go around rocking bandanas and gas masks you might get arrested brah... :D

specializedwheels likes this.
  5. specializedwheels

specializedwheels New Member

6. Jess_042010

Jess_042010 New Member

Hello Volnix,

Thank you for your response, yea I know they can look a tad odd ..im not too bothered though. Where about do you cycle? i'm in Bristol/ Bath and am really bothered by the fumes .. might be my imagination but feel it is getting worse.

I cant really change the time I cycle but will definitely have a good look into alternative routes, perhaps a cut through a park or something. Thanks for the suggestion.

I have had a look at the cloth mask/ bandanna combo and a lot of the comments suggest that they don't actually protect you from the harmful particulates. Have noticed there are a couple of decent looking ones on the market so will continue my search!

Thanks for the input

7. Jess_042010

Jess_042010 New Member

Hi Specializedwheels,

Thank you so much for this! really helpful . Will have a good look through to see what you suggest.

Many thanks

8. specializedwheels

specializedwheels New Member