Any body know anything about this bike?

whitey818

Jul 5, 2010
I bout this from a Craigslist add a while back and have not been able to find any info. Would like to know the year and model. I feel stupid asking these questions but just as stupid owning it and not knowing what it is. It has Aluminum 701 on the top post other than knowing its a Univega with a 7 speed cassett and Shimano Alivio equipment thats it. I really enjoy it and is very light for a MTB.
PIC-0019.jpg

PIC-0020.jpg

Hmm....... nobody, lol? I am thinking it is late '90s to early 2000's. Fun bike, very light, but I dont put it off in much, mainly commute and errands on it.

The only thing is the bike in your photo does not look to have grip shift like the specs in Bikepedia, But its probably the closest specs you will find now 15 years later.

Yep that sure sounds like it, except for the grip shifters, it has triggers but everything else is on cue. Thanks for the link, I bought it off of craigslist and the guy I got it from had no idea what year it was.

I know it's been a few years since you posted this, but I just signed on with this forum.

I still have a 701. Mine is metallic green. Great frame. The geometry fits me so well i have a hard time letting her go. I changed just about everything else out.

marzocchi bomber up front. (she used to have a mag 21, then went to Judy, and a Manitou)
xt/lx brakes, shifters, derailluers
lx cranks
xt bottom bracket
king headset (don't know why i spent this much on a headset, but it's cool)
raceface bars
used to have a kore stem but then I got old and had to buy a cheapy to raise the bars. :)
crank bros egg beaters (dear god, these things are awesome)

I've put a lot more money into the bike than it's worth, but when you find a bike that just "feels right," don't let it go.

Light, strong frame. Almost 20 years old, tons of XC and downhill (nothing crazy though). Lost it over a cliff once. Rim was shot and had to walk her down, but everything else was good. Every weld and tube is still as good as new (barring some missing paint)

Since i first purchased the 701, I've also bought a Schwinn, Gary Fisher, 2 Diamond Backs (one was a full suspension) a Novara and a GT i drive.

This and the Gary Fisher are the only ones I've kept.

The one other thing i like about this bike is that it's unique (in a vanilla sort of way). In all my time out there, I've never seen another 701.

If you still have it, enjoy the bike.

grip shifters is common replacement shifter for trigger shifters that failed quite quickly, and grip shifters are cheaper to buy yet will last as long if not longer than the triggers. I did that to one my mtb's too.

The univega is a nice bike, I hope you keep it for many years.

Yeah, I know this is old post.