Any vegitarians on here?!

Originally Posted by danfoz
Beans have no protein? ok.
They might have some, but they aren't made from animals.

Green edge is going all low carb paleo style http://www.greenedgecycling.com/news/keeping-up-with-jonesy--

1. Proteins are composed of amino acids.
2. The genetic code relates DNA sequences to amino acid sequences.
3. We share our genetic code with almost all other life forms. I think archaea have a slightly altered code.
Conclusion: Almost all life forms contain all amino acids.

Wikipedia - Genetic code: The genetic code is the set of rules by which information encoded within genetic material (DNA or mRNA sequences) is translated into proteins by living cells.

The genetic code is highly similar among all organisms and can be expressed in a simple table with 64 entries.

Been vegan for a few years now. One of the best decisions I have ever made. Feel so much better and have improved in the gym and cardio fitness as well as dropping a few excess kilos.
cool.png

There is new evidence that we live longer.

http://www.nih.gov/researchmatters/june2013/06102013vegetarian.htm
In this study, a "vegetarian" was anyone who ate meat, eggs, or dairy less than once a month.

Here is the study that the above link talks about.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23836264
If I'm reading it right, it looks like pesco-vegetarians did slightly better than vegans. It might not be statistically significant though.

Reactions: DaveQB
if you are going to stay vegitarian you will need to look towards foods that are high protein and low sugar carb's. I will tell you I do alot with the folks that race in my area especially jays Fat ass ride 12 hours speed ride. and none of the extreme cyclist are vegetarians. Not saying they couldn't be just saying they are not.

https://www.raceacrossamerica.org/raam/racerdtl.php?N_Entry_ID=2971&tblagecat_tblbiketype_tblPage=1

http://exposedbits.blogspot.com/2010/07/big-jays-fat-ass-12-hour.html

I have a friend (serves in the Army as an officer) who is an avid cyclist and runner, including ultra-marathons. He calls himself a "no-meat athlete", and is the picture of not just good, but excellent health--his doc told him that, "I wish everyone had bloodwork and vital signs like you do." I think that dairy is one source of his protein. Regardless, one common deficiency among vegans/vegetarians is vitamin B12, and there's probably no better source of it than red meat, but it can be covered by supplements.

Ambal, you really need to go take a basic biology course if you think animals are the only source of protein. EVERY cell contains proteins, which are made up of amino acids--the nutrients our bodies are after when we eat protein. Yes, meat contains many of the ones we need the most of, but they can also be found in the plant world.

A lot of foods are fortified with B12 nowadays. If a cereal is vegan, it usually has B12 too.

B12 for fortified foods is produced by bacteria grown in large vats.

Wikipedia - Vitamin B12: Neither fungi, plants, nor animals are capable of producing vitamin B12. Only bacteria and archaea have the enzymes required for its synthesis, although many foods are a natural source of B12 because of bacterial symbiosis.

edit

http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/VitaminB12-HealthProfessional/

National Institute of Health (NIH) - Vitamin B12 Fact Sheet: Approximately 56% of a 1 mcg oral dose of vitamin B12 is absorbed, but absorption decreases drastically when the capacity of intrinsic factor is exceeded (at 1–2 mcg of vitamin B12) [8].

National Institute of Health (NIH) - Vitamin B12 Fact Sheet: Existing evidence does not suggest any differences among forms with respect to absorption or bioavailability. However the body’s ability to absorb vitamin B12 from dietary supplements is largely limited by the capacity of intrinsic factor. For example, only about 10 mcg of a 500 mcg oral supplement is actually absorbed in healthy people [8].

Under Recommended Intakes, it says that 2.4mcg (micrograms) is the recommended dietary allowance (RDA) for people 14+ years. So I need a 500mcg supplement every 4 days?

But when it says "Existing evidence does not suggest", I have to wonder how much evidence exists.

Keep in mind that those recommendations are often bare minimums--that is, for something like Vitamin C, the recommendation will keep you from getting scurvy, but you'd probably be healthier with quite a bit more. I don't know where B12 fits into that picture, because my in-laws are beef farmers, so I'm not worried about being deficient...

The article defines its terms.

National Institutes of Health (NIH) - Vitamin B12 Fact Sheet:
  • Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA): average daily level of intake sufficient to meet the nutrient requirements of nearly all (97%–98%) healthy individuals.
  • Adequate Intake (AI): established when evidence is insufficient to develop an RDA and is set at a level assumed to ensure nutritional adequacy.

National Institutes of Health (NIH) - Vitamin B12 Fact Sheet: The IOM did not establish a UL [upper limit] for vitamin B12 because of its low potential for toxicity.

Originally Posted by jpr95
Keep in mind that those recommendations are often bare minimums--that is, for something like Vitamin C, the recommendation will keep you from getting scurvy, but you'd probably be healthier with quite a bit more. I don't know where B12 fits into that picture, because my in-laws are beef farmers, so I'm not worried about being deficient...
Hi there, RDA or RDI's aren't minimums, they actually add a buffer to ensure people with absorption issues still get enough.

I remember reading 40% of the population has low levels of B12, despite the fact most of population eats meat. I'll have a look for it later today and post the link. Anyone who doesn't eat meat or B12 fortified foods, probably should supplement - it's cheap 100 B12 tablets costs maybe 3 or 4 dollars or injections cost perhaps $20 for an entire year. Everyone else, probably should get tested whenever they get a general checkup done, just incase. A B12 deficiency can be devastating.

Reactions: DaveQB
Originally Posted by jpr95
Ambal, you really need to go take a basic biology course if you think animals are the only source of protein. EVERY cell contains proteins, which are made up of amino acids--the nutrients our bodies are after when we eat protein. Yes, meat contains many of the ones we need the most of, but they can also be found in the plant world.

I didn't take that seriously. I assumed he HAD to be joking, no one could be that clueless.
I am sure he is joking around.

Originally Posted by steve

Hi there, RDA or RDI's aren't minimums, they actually add a buffer to ensure people with absorption issues still get enough.

I remember reading 40% of the population has low levels of B12, despite the fact most of population eats meat. I'll have a look for it later today and post the link. Anyone who doesn't eat meat or B12 fortified foods, probably should supplement - it's cheap 100 B12 tablets costs maybe 3 or 4 dollars or injections cost perhaps $20 for an entire year. Everyone else, probably should get tested whenever they get a general checkup done, just incase. A B12 deficiency can be devastating.

39% is what I have heard from the general population. Definitely absorption can be a key factor.
I like this video on the b12 topic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1KmCtTi0rI

Originally Posted by DaveQB
I didn't take that seriously. I assumed he HAD to be joking, no one could be that clueless.
I am sure he is joking around.
There were a lot of glaring inaccuracies.
- Vegetables definitely do have protein.
- Protein is a nutrient, but I don't think it's a vitamin.
- We have the physiology of omnivores, not carnivores.
- A meat based diet would (and does) leave us deficient in fiber and folic acid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveQB .
39% is what I have heard from the general population. Definitely absorption can be a key factor.
I like this video on the b12 topic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1KmCtTi0rI

She said plants don't give us B12 because the soil is cobalt-deficient.
Dr. Gregor says that is a myth in this (old) presentation.

0.jpg

I also take issue with her remarks and cartoons about "ruining" or taking away the lives of animals.
Unlike the demand for fish fished from the ocean, reducing the demand for livestock meat won't save animal lives. However, it will reduce the number of factory farm animals that are produced in the first place, which prevents unnecessary suffering, and by reducing pollution helps wildlife and humans to flourish.
Some meat-eaters argue that vegans are stupid because the animals wouldn't survive anyway.

This is interesting. Do fish feel pain? http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/08/130808123719.htm

Whether fish feel discomfort and when is still unrelated to over-fishing. Get your fish from fish farms. Plus fish farming subverts biomagnification and its harmful effects on your health.

There are plenty of ways to get protein without eating meat. I am a commute rider 40k round trip and have done , and will again do , triathlons. Successful riding has nothing to do with eating animals. I quit eating meat for health concerns and have no part in the humanitarian argument but whatever your reasons just keep knocking back the legumes and you'll be fine.

Reactions: steve
Originally Posted by urge2kill
I shouldn't use this forum drunk.
I gave up the Giggle Juice/Poison/Sauce/Froffies a few years ago and never have that regret anymore
wink.png

I'm not a vegeterian, because it's important to eat meat too, but I eat a lot of fruit and vegetables whenever I can.

Vegetarian here. I eat a lot of fruits and vegetables because I have to compensate for the loss of proteins and everything else present in non-vegaterian foods like chicken,mutton etc. It definitely has its plus points though, I don't consume unncessary calories and the food I eat gets digested very easily.