Anyone carry pepper spray while riding?

J999w wrote:
> Not so much for dogs ... I'll either spray some Gatorade
> on them or wack them with my pump ... but more for when
> encountering rowdy kids just starting their summer
> vacation, have had a few too many cans of beer, and
> getting just a little too abusive while half hanging out
> of the window of their friend's car.
>
> Had such an encounter tonight while out riding about
> 10:30pm (sometimes 'ya gotta ride whenever you can).
> Now, I'm a big guy (6'5" and 200+ lbs) and normally
> don't get harrassed, but every once and a while I come
> across some buzzed social bottom feeder feeling brave
> and is ready to take on the 'faggy bicyclist'. My normal
> reaction is to flip them the finger, or give them a
> stream of expletives and some suggestions of physical
> impossible feats, but I fear that some hot night, when
> I'm out riding, I'll come across someone looking for a
> fight and I'm thinking that the full water bottle I
> bounce off their car will just entice them more and I'm
> going to need an edge (something legal).
>
> Anyone carry pepper spray? Ever use it? What kind?
>
> Thanks.
>
> jw Milwaukee

I carry it in case of bear or mountain lions, but the animal
I find it most useful for usually drives an SUV.

Pepper spray/mace combo is my weapon of choice. Try ebay.

Raoul Duke wrote:

> "Gooserider" <[email protected]> wrote in
> message
> news:[email protected]...
>

>>I carry Halt to deal with dogs, but my Air Zound horn
>>works just as well.

>>suppose the Halt would work pretty well against two legged
>>predators, but
>
> my
>
>>tiny little North American Arms 22 revolver will
>>work better.
>

> With all due respect, your NAA mini revolver is a cute,
> fun little toy, but I would hope you would never consider
> one to be a serious defense weapon.
>
> Dave

Actually, pop somebody in the head with that little .22
bullet and it will turn someones brain into scrambled
eggs. You see it just bounces around inside there without
coming back out. Kind of like what happened to Brady when
Hinkley shot him.

HardwareLust wrote:

> J999w wrote:
>
>>Not so much for dogs ... I'll either spray some Gatorade
>>on them or wack them with my pump ... but more for when
>>encountering rowdy kids just starting their summer
>>vacation, have had a few too many cans of beer, and
>>getting just a little too abusive while half hanging out
>>of the window of their friend's car.
>>
>>Had such an encounter tonight while out riding about
>>10:30pm (sometimes 'ya gotta ride whenever you can).
>>Now, I'm a big guy (6'5" and 200+ lbs) and normally
>>don't get harrassed, but every once and a while I come
>>across some buzzed social bottom feeder feeling brave
>>and is ready to take on the 'faggy bicyclist'. My normal
>>reaction is to flip them the finger, or give them a
>>stream of expletives and some suggestions of physical
>>impossible feats, but I fear that some hot night, when
>>I'm out riding, I'll come across someone looking for a
>>fight and I'm thinking that the full water bottle I
>>bounce off their car will just entice them more and I'm
>>going to need an edge (something legal).
>>
>>Anyone carry pepper spray? Ever use it? What kind?
>>
>>Thanks.
>>
>>jw Milwaukee
>

> If I were to carry something non-lethal other than a gun,
> I think I would probably prefer a air-powered cartridge
> loaded taser (the kind that looks like a gun and shoots
> 15 feet,*NOT* the cheap contact kind) over a can of
> pepper spray. I believe that they're legal to carry
> concealed in most states without a license. They require
> some training and practice to use effectively, but the
> training is easy to get.
>
> People who are enraged (or just pumped on adrenaline)
> and/or on drugs can still function and continue attacking
> you even after being sprayed (especially with consumer-
> grade sprays), whereas 50,000 volts will stop anything
> short of a bull elephant dead in his tracks.
>
> I have been trained to use both, and when facing a single
> attacker, I would feel much more confident of stopping an
> attacker with a taser in my hand than a can of pepper
> spray, but that's just me. If you are facing multiple
> attackers, then I might give the nod to the spray,
> assuming you are properly trained and practice it's use.
>
> Regards,
> H.

I saw some statistics on tasers the other day, and they are
only effective about 20% of the time from 10-15 feet, <5%
under 10 feet and <5% over 15 feet.

I don't think I would like to trust my life to one of these.

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 21:37:38 -0600, Abe Oogerfart
<[email protected]> ejaculated:

>> I have been trained to use both, and when facing a single
>> attacker, I would feel much more confident of stopping an
>> attacker with a taser in my hand than a can of pepper
>> spray, but that's just me. If you are facing multiple
>> attackers, then I might give the nod to the spray,
>> assuming you are properly trained and practice it's use.
>>
>> Regards,
>> H.
>>

>I saw some statistics on tasers the other day, and they are
>only effective about 20% of the time from 10-15 feet, <5%
>under 10 feet and <5% over 15 feet.
>
>I don't think I would like to trust my life to one of
>these.

Smart man. I have seen them fail repeatedly. That is
why cops don't replace their pistols with one of
those contraptions. Next time some station runs the
Rodney King clip, check the two wires trailing from
his body. Didn't work then either.

Cheers,

Ken (NY) Chairman, Department Of Redundancy Department®
email: http://www.geocities.com/bluesguy68/email.htm

"...the electable Republican is always the one liberals are
calling an extremist."
-- Ann Coulter

spammers can send mail to [email protected]