Anyone Have Information on Follis Bikes

ptannous

Mar 10, 2005
I just bought a Follis bike from the 1980's and I am thinking about using it as a fixed gear bike. Does anyone have any recomendations for where I can find out more info about older Follis bikes? Are they considered decent frames?

Hello. I don't hear about Follis bicycles too much, but there are a few of us out there still riding them. I have a Follis road Bike that I purchased new in 1972. I have rebuilt and repainted it numerous times over the years and the only thing original on it now is the frame. This year I am planning on having some V-Brake bosses welded on and will be converting it into a touring bike as I will be retiring in a few years and plan to do some loaded touring. This, of course will require it to be repainted once again. I have access to an auto body shop run by the county jail farm, so it only costs $35 to $40 for the paint job. Obviously I am rather attached to my Follis and it has served me well over the past 33 years. I'm not sure how yours will be as a single speed, but I would think it would be great. What I love about mine is the long wheelbase and the comfortable ride the 831 steel Reynolds frame provides. It is a very durable bike and is relatively light for an older steel frame. If you ever need decals or have questions, the company is still in business in France. They have a website at www.classicrendezvous.com/France/Follis.htm
and they will get back to you if you email them. I asked for, and received a head badge and new decal at no cost when I asked them for it. Good luck with your project and I hope you enjoy your Follis. Take care of it and it will serve you well.

Harold