Avoiding a crash

Corzhens

May 26, 2015
This is related to the report in the evening news last night where a car did a counter flow, that is traversing the other side of the road. There was a bicycle that was on the collision course. The bike moved to his right to avoid the oncoming car which was in the wrong direction. Unfortunately, the bike was hit. The incident was caught on cctv. It was good that the cyclist suffered minor injuries only. The lesson learned is to be aware of potential dangers and don't insist that you are on the right lane. If there is a car that will hit you then you have to go to the curb maybe just to avoid that wayward car.

I honestly have such a great distrust of motorists that I try to avoid cycling on main roads entirely.

I live in a small town, and like most small towns, we have many narrow, winding roads that deviate from the main road. I feel safe cycling on these roads because they are too narrow and winding for any motorist to really hit the gas and drive wildly. They are pretty much forced to drive safe.

The main roads that connect the towns around the area are an entirely different story though. Most drivers go up to 30km/h over the limit here, driving recklessly as if they were on a freeway. This makes me feel incredibly unsafe as we don't have paths specifically for cyclists, so if I find myself commuting by these roads, I always opt to take the sidewalk instead.

This means I have to ride slower so as to watch out for unwary pedestrians, but it's better than getting run over.

Yeah, it's best to just to get out of the way even if you're right or you have right of way, because you don't know the situation of the other driver; they can be drunk, not paying attention, have mechanical problems, etc. so be on the safe side and be the one to go out of the way or stop.

Yeah, I watched that news, and yeah, accident is accident, whether you are in the right lane or doing fine while driving, but as long as there're some irresponsible drivers out there, you still not safe. The good thing is, cyclist driver just having minor injuries.

Yes I agree! It's better to be safe than sorry. Whether you are in the right lane you can't avoid accidents. But anyways good thing that the cyclist just suffered minor injuries only.