backwards

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by reject_monkey, Jul 12, 2004.

  1. Tags:

  2. Mikefule

    Mikefule Guest

    Idling and riding backwards are two closely related skills, and it's
    good to learn them together.

    I found it was best to find a really smooth floor (I found a juggling
    club that used a gym) but a good smooth car park or drive will do.

    Now, ride forwards and stop with one pedal down. What will happen is
    that the pedal will rise slightly past bottom dead centre just because
    of your momentum. That is good.

    Allow your weight to be ever so slightly behind the uni, then push that
    pedal down so that the uni passes beneath you and you can regain your
    forward motion.

    What you've done now is almost an idle.

    Build on this sequence: ride, stop, rock back, ride forwards.

    Eventually, you'll get the confidence to:
    ride, stop, rock back, rock forwards, rock back, ride forwards.

    And so on.

    As you get more and more confident, you will find yourself able to rock
    back more confidently until the pedal passes all the way through bottom
    dead centre and almost up top top dead centre.

    It's the "almost" that's the difficult thing!

    Eventually, you'll find that you are idling for short periods (3 or 4
    pumps of the pedal) and one time you will suddlenly let that pedal go
    all the way over the top and you will have pedalled backwards for almost
    a wheel revolution. This is a major hurdle crossed.

    From here, it's just practise, practise, practise. I found it useful to
    ride up to an obstacle and stop and ride backwards 2 or 3 wheel revs
    before stopping and riding forwards.

    So you're aiming for 3 steps forwards, 3 steps backwards, repeat.

    Build from here.

    And look at something fixed in the middle distance. Your brain works
    better when you're focussed on something specific, a reasonable distance
    away.

    For riding longer distances backwards, you need to keep snap-changing
    your focus to something nearer every 5 - 10 metres.

    Good luck.

    --
    Mikefule - Roland Hope School of Unicycling

    Everyone should be fatuous for 15 minutes.

  3. unigeee

    unigeee Guest

    i did what mike was suggesting. and learned idiling and backwrds ridding
    at the same time. maybe i suck but it took me a month before doing them
    both consistently and that's with regular practice. oh yeah, a
    frustrating month. frustration is involved big time. but i was
    determined and that won out over frustration. then i was in the zone.

    have fun,

    john

    --
    unigeee - Hmmmmm!
    unigeee's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5397

  4. James_Potter

    James_Potter Guest

    Use the same techniques you used when learning to ride. A wall/fence,
    someone walking next to you, etc.
    Something that REALLY helped me was just remember to keep your feet on
    the pedals. No matter what. Riding backwards is a new feeling, so you
    don't know what it feels like to do it right. You just step off because
    you think you're falling.

    --
    James_Potter - Rettop_Semaj

    -If there was an eleventh commandment, it is to be "thou shalt dip thy
    pizza, for it is, wicked."-
    --Thedan

  5. Ken Cline

    Ken Cline Guest

    "James_Potter" <James_Potter@NoEmail.Message.Poster.at.Unicyclist.com> writes:

    > Something that REALLY helped me was just remember to keep your feet on
    > the pedals. No matter what. Riding backwards is a new feeling, so you
    > don't know what it feels like to do it right. You just step off because
    > you think you're falling.

    I don't know about keeping your feet on the pedals. Several people
    have reported injuries when learning to ride backwards, so my approach
    has been to try to stay in control, stepping off if I start to pick up
    spped, rather than push for distance. Even so, I rolled off the back
    once and caught my elbow on the ground. Couldn't rest that elbow on a
    table for a couple of months!

    And that's learning to ride backwards after I could idle.

    Ken

  6. Danny Colyer

    Danny Colyer Guest

    reject_monkey wrote:
    > i have tried about a thousand times to ride backwards, and as of yet
    > never managed atall. any tips or hints?

    I learnt in a dance studio - which may not be much help unless you
    happen to have access to a dance studio!

    The big advantage was the wall length bar at just the right height for
    gently hanging onto until I was ready to let go. I found hanging onto a
    bar much more useful than hanging onto a wall, and easier to let go of.

  7. gasmaster

    gasmaster Guest

    when i was learning (which was not that long ago) a huge trouble i had
    was the transition from backwards to forwards (which made it impossible
    for the "one revolution-stop, another revolution-stop" technique. so if
    yer having this same trouble, i'd advise you to just practice the
    transition by pushing off, pedaling one revolution max backwards, then
    trying to go back to yer push off point. if yer noot using an object to
    push off from, FIND ONE!! this may be a source of your frustration, as
    its almost impossible to learn to ride backwards from a freemount (at
    least until you can go 2 full revolutions from a push off point.

    --
    gasmaster - level 4 unicyclist

    Real men only need 1 wheel.
    gasmaster's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6713

  8. tom_edmonds

    tom_edmonds Guest

    James_Potter wrote:
    > *
    > ....Something that REALLY helped me was just remember to keep your
    > feet on the pedals. No matter what. Riding backwards is a new feeling,
    > so you don't know what it feels like to do it right. You just step off
    > because you think you're falling. *

    good advice i found this to be the case also when learning

    --
    tom_edmonds - Finally...less talking, more riding

    "rest and elevation" we know its all we'll be told, so why do we still
    go and wait in A&E all day?
    tom_edmonds's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3992

  9. MuniTune

    MuniTune Guest