Bad habits of cyclists

Corzhens

May 26, 2015
When the road is experiencing heavy traffic, expect the 2-wheels to be on the sidewalk. There were cases where bikes hit pedestrians because they were not expected to be on the sidewalk which is the domain of the pedestrians. I can't say it's only the cyclists here who are doing that because when we went to Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam, that's also the case. Motorcycles and bikes are common to see on the sidewalks. I guess we have to exercise our good manners and right conduct when on the road.

When the road is experiencing heavy traffic, expect the 2-wheels to be on the sidewalk.

That's ridiculous, cyclists have the right to use basically all roads expect motorways. In a lot of places riding on the sidewalk will mean you get fined by the police. If a driver can't deal with a cyclist, they probably need to hand their license in. So many of them are entitled fat slobs.

For me the bad habits of the cyclist become concern in every town specially those who do not recognize the responsibilities in cycling on the road. We all know that in riding bicycle, we can go any part of town like sidewalk and roads. We just make sure no one will block on our path and that is one of bad habits. We should know what path is the best for riding a bicycle for our safety and safety of others.

In our country, bikes have their own lane which is beside the sidewalk and also elevated and not part of the road. I always assumed this is standard in all countries. Motorcycles also have their own lane here (although this isn't really strictly enforced). I guess it differs from place to place. I'd say if cycling on the sidewalks is not illegal then it is the responsibility of both the rider and the pedestrian to always be aware of their surroundings.

Most of the bikes I am seeing around do not have side mirrors. I think it is very vital to have one for safety purposes. Most of the cyclists I know are taking this for granted. It would be life saver if we could just install a side mirror before we go out and travel using our bike. It should be our habit to prioritize our safety before hitting the road.

Cyclists is very fun and full of adventures. They travel a lot of times but most of them had thin body and light weight. It is dangerous because you are dealing with various kinds of vehicles on the road. Accidents are everywhere so they wear different types of gears to protect themselves.

I guess one bad habit of bicycle drivers are not using head lights or any form of lights at all. This is quite common in some rural areas. However, I can understand if they don't use the bike at night. But, in my experience, some people are still using their bicycles at night without proper lighting, and warning reflectors. They are at high risk of getting an accident. The speed to which they are driving is making their risks higher, as they go faster.

That's ridiculous, cyclists have the right to use basically all roads expect motorways. In a lot of places riding on the sidewalk will mean you get fined by the police. If a driver can't deal with a cyclist, they probably need to hand their license in. So many of them are entitled fat slobs.

I agree, people should know that the roads are for cyclists too. Driving on the walkway poses more risks than that of the road. I believe that cyclists are entitled to have as much right as the cars. We may drive a bit slower, but that doesn't rip us our right to be on the road too.

Biking in heavy traffic is just looks like an obstacles in some bikers in our country. additional thrills for them. That's why most of the time, they're the cause of accident in pedestrian lane, and I really hate that, but because there's no bicycle lane in our country it's alright for them to use the pedestrian.

In my country bikes and any non motorized means of transportation are prohibited in main roads and highways and there's really no continuous bike path so at the end of a bike path either you have to carry your bike across the overpass walk way to cross a street or travel using the sidewalk but still if you're going to cross the street, you still really have to carry your bike. That is if your in the metro. But in the city outskirts and provinces, you can ride wherever you want too but not in the highway or expressway.

When the road is experiencing heavy traffic, expect the 2-wheels to be on the sidewalk. There were cases where bikes hit pedestrians because they were not expected to be on the sidewalk which is the domain of the pedestrians. I can't say it's only the cyclists here who are doing that because when we went to Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam, that's also the case. Motorcycles and bikes are common to see on the sidewalks. I guess we have to exercise our good manners and right conduct when on the road.

I agree. GMRC is a must on the road and we should be responsible enough in riding at sidewalks/pedestrian lanes(which is our 2nd option lane only) because it's really intended for pedestrians.

Reactions: Corzhens
I don't like the fact that professional cyclists in races always throw their gel wrappers
away as litter (trash to you Americans). I mean, they have pockets on their jerseys
where the gel wrappers would take up next to no room. And what makes matters
even worse, is that the tv commentators (obviously cycle enthusiasts) never seem
to have a disparaging word* about the practice.

*Perhaps they do when I'm not watching ;)

This is already a concern for citizens. Witnessed a lot of scenarios where pedestrians get hit by cyclist because they already occupied the pedestrian lane. They should also know their limits.