Bargain find and buy! :-)

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Shaun Rimmer, Jul 21, 2004.

  1. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    This weekend while ferrying some junk to the tip, I spotted an old mountain
    bike that'd been put to the side by one of the workers there. Now, I'd been
    after an old/cheap wheel-set to build a beater commute bike for a pal of
    mine, who's trying to save cash by driving less, to fund his 1y/o lads
    needs.

    So, out the car I jumps and asks around who the bike now 'belongs' to. Some
    big guy steps forward says: "That'll be me, mate."

    "What chance is there of you parting with it?"

    "Will do, for a tea and coffee donation. Offer me what you think." Says he.

    "A fiver?"

    "No problem. Yours for a fiver." He tells me.

    So, we nipped off to get some cash and dashed back. Gave him the £5, put
    bike in car, drove off quickly in glee.

    The bike is quite old. Not sure how old - it's a black British Eagle, rigid,
    steel, 5 speed x 3 friction/index shift. Thing is, this bike has never, or
    almost never, been ridden - tyres are in perfect condition. Also, there's
    not a single scratch or speck of rust _anywhere_ on it - looks like it was
    bought and bunged in a stasis chamber!

    So, I says - BARGAIN!

    ',;~}~

    Gonna measure my friend up for the frame before deciding whether or not to
    split it for parts to make him a bike, or just give it to him as it is.
    While it would seem a shame to split it up, he really wants to be riding to
    work and back soon as possible.

    Shaun aRe gonna call at that place more often ',;~}~

    Tags:

  2. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    "Shaun Rimmer" <shaun@newtronic.co.uk> wrote in message

    > This weekend while ferrying some junk to the tip, I spotted an old

    mountain
    > bike that'd been put to the side by one of the workers there. Now, I'd

    been
    > after an old/cheap wheel-set to build a beater commute bike for a pal of
    > mine, who's trying to save cash by driving less, to fund his 1y/o lads
    > needs.
    >
    > So, out the car I jumps and asks around who the bike now 'belongs' to.

    Some
    > big guy steps forward says: "That'll be me, mate."
    >
    > "What chance is there of you parting with it?"
    >
    > "Will do, for a tea and coffee donation. Offer me what you think." Says

    he.

    > "A fiver?"
    >
    > "No problem. Yours for a fiver." He tells me.
    >
    > So, we nipped off to get some cash and dashed back. Gave him the £5, put
    > bike in car, drove off quickly in glee.
    >
    > The bike is quite old. Not sure how old - it's a black British Eagle,

    rigid,
    > steel, 5 speed x 3 friction/index shift. Thing is, this bike has never, or
    > almost never, been ridden - tyres are in perfect condition. Also, there's
    > not a single scratch or speck of rust _anywhere_ on it - looks like it was
    > bought and bunged in a stasis chamber!
    >
    > So, I says - BARGAIN!
    >
    > ',;~}~
    >
    > Gonna measure my friend up for the frame before deciding whether or not to
    > split it for parts to make him a bike, or just give it to him as it is.
    > While it would seem a shame to split it up, he really wants to be riding

    > work and back soon as possible.
    >
    > Shaun aRe gonna call at that place more often ',;~}~

    Hey you buggras, none of you as excited by my find as ME then? Well
    harrumph! to the lottaya.

    Shaun aRe

    ',;~}~

  3. "Shaun Rimmer" <shaun@newtronic.co.uk> wrote in message

    > Hey you buggras, none of you as excited by my find as ME then? Well
    > harrumph! to the lottaya.

    Well I was gonna post something along the lines of 'are you sure it wasn't
    your own bike that your missus was secretly trying to dump' but I never got
    around to it, thanks for reminding me...

    Steve.

  4. On 2004-07-22, Shaun Rimmer penned:

    > Hey you buggras, none of you as excited by my find as ME then? Well
    > harrumph! to the lottaya.

    I read the post and thought the bike find was cool, but I'm lazy as all
    hell.

    --
    monique

    "Get a bicycle. You will not regret it, if you live."
    -- Mark Twain

  5. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    "spademan o---[) *"
    <steve.eckersley@NOSPAMPLEASEWEREBRITISH.its.lancscc.gov.uk> wrote in
    message news:40ffe0bd$1@news.yourcomms.net...

    > "Shaun Rimmer" <shaun@newtronic.co.uk> wrote in message
    > >

    > > Hey you buggras, none of you as excited by my find as ME then? Well
    > > harrumph! to the lottaya.
    > >

    > Well I was gonna post something along the lines of 'are you sure it wasn't
    > your own bike that your missus was secretly trying to dump'

    Yup - I'm sure. This one is steel, black, and only has 5 of them funny cog
    things on't back wheel!

    > but I never got
    > around to it, thanks for reminding me...

    Yer welcome, heheheheh... ',;~}~

    Shaun aRe - It sez British Eagle on it an' everyfink it does!!!!

  6. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    "Monique Y. Mudama" <spam@bounceswoosh.org> wrote in message
    > On 2004-07-22, Shaun Rimmer penned:
    > >
    > > Hey you buggras, none of you as excited by my find as ME then? Well
    > > harrumph! to the lottaya.

    > I read the post and thought the bike find was cool, but I'm lazy as all
    > hell.

    Heheheheh, well thanks anyway Monique, heheheheh ',;~}~

    Shaun aRe likes a daft giggle at stuff an' ting is all.

Share This Page