Battle of the Bikes -- The $2500 shootout! Advice?

AmpedCycle

Dec 29, 2004
I'm trying to decide which bike to buy next, and want to know if anyone has any advice on particular bike companies... I'm thinking about a specialized tarmac expert, Felt F4c, Cervelo Soloist, and a trek 5200 OCLV.
I've had a ton of specialized bikes, and never any other company. I want to do some local racing and a ton of training.
What you think?

PS I'm doing this because I've put 15,000 miles on a specialized allez sport that I bought back in 2004, and I think that I've outgrown it. Anyone else know what I'm talking about?

I've seen a ton of people with the specialized tarmac expert, too... so what do you guys think?

AmpedCycle said:
I'm trying to decide which bike to buy next, and want to know if anyone has any advice on particular bike companies... I'm thinking about a specialized tarmac expert, Felt F4c, Cervelo Soloist, and a trek 5200 OCLV.
I've had a ton of specialized bikes, and never any other company. I want to do some local racing and a ton of training.
What you think?

PS I'm doing this because I've put 15,000 miles on a specialized allez sport that I bought back in 2004, and I think that I've outgrown it. Anyone else know what I'm talking about?

For 2500 dollars - no question - I would get the Cannondale Caad 8 with durace. It weights just over 16 lbs with pedals and climbs like crazy. I almost bought one but went for the six thirteen.

My vote goes to the Cervelo Soloist. I purchased one last week and have put 224 miles on it in 7 days. It's comfortable(fit plays a major role) yet fast. Stiffness is not an issue but yet it's light. I've given Specialized's and Cannondale's good test rides and they don't come close. Go to Cervelo's site and read up on the original thought process they put into their frames and bikes. Then go and test ride one, you'll be converted for life. =P

Izzy G.

I know this has been said a lot, but that's only because it's about the best advice you can get: why don't you ride them to see what you like? They're all quality bikes, so the difference is going to be determined by geometries and personal preference.

IzzyG said:
My vote goes to the Cervelo Soloist. I purchased one last week and have put 224 miles on it in 7 days. It's comfortable(fit plays a major role) yet fast. Stiffness is not an issue but yet it's light. I've given Specialized's and Cannondale's good test rides and they don't come close. Go to Cervelo's site and read up on the original thought process they put into their frames and bikes. Then go and test ride one, you'll be converted for life. =P

Izzy G.
You don't think that cervelo is too small of a company, or that they can't compete with the big names in terms of engineering and components?

How can you argue with these components on the Tarmac Expert?

Specialized FACT 6r carbon frame with compact race geometry and Zertz seatstay inserts
Lightweight full FACT carbon fork with vibration damping Speed Zertz
Specialized Pro lightweight handlebar and Specialized Pro-Set stem
Smoother shifting, lighter weight Shimano Ultegra 20-speed drivetrain
Lighter Mavic Ksyrium Equipe wheelset

To tell you the truth, something would really have to convince me not to buy the specialized.

AmpedCycle said:
How can you argue with these components on the Tarmac Expert?

Specialized FACT 6r carbon frame with compact race geometry and Zertz seatstay inserts
Lightweight full FACT carbon fork with vibration damping Speed Zertz
Specialized Pro lightweight handlebar and Specialized Pro-Set stem
Smoother shifting, lighter weight Shimano Ultegra 20-speed drivetrain
Lighter Mavic Ksyrium Equipe wheelset

To tell you the truth, something would really have to convince me not to buy the specialized.
Please don't take this the wrong way but....

Are you really looking for advice, or are you just looking for people to make you feel more comfortable about a decision you have already made.

The best advice has already been given, go to a local shop that would let you try different models, and see which one you like best (after a good fitting of course).

You seem to be more preoccupied with specs than what may feel best for you.

Personally, if that were my budget, my priority would be to find a setup that included Ksyrium SL's and Shimano Dura Ace (or Campy Record). I know you can get a Cannondale CAAD 8 frame with that setup for this price. Their Six13 frames are better but would blow your budget.

As your finances allow, you could always upgrade your frame later, keeping the components.

AmpedCycle said:
You don't think that cervelo is too small of a company, or that they can't compete with the big names in terms of engineering and components?
There are bigger companies that don't perform as rigorous of testing and R & D as Cervelo does. Frankly, size of company doesn't equate quality. Furthermore, if you're talking about groupset comps, you could get just the frame and build it up anyway you like. Quality of the groupset is not related to the frame maker. Only parts that Cervelo is directly responsible for is the seatpost, fork and frame. I firmly believe in Cervelo's R & D route. I have not seen any other company that works as closely as their team, so much so that they put quality above advertisement. Look at CSC's success with them, sure a big part of it is the quality of the riders, but the bikes play a part too.

And don't the 2006 Soloist come with Ultegra 20 speed as well? And frankly, carbon is overhyped sometimes. I've tried carbon bikes but I still prefer the feel of aluminum(personal preference though)

Izzy G