Bell event xc mountain helmet?

heavypic

Aug 27, 2016
Pennsylvania, USA
Hey all -

Anyone have experience with Bell helmets in particular the Bell Event XC Mountain Helmet http://www.nashbar.com/webapp/wcs/s...0052&productId=590205&storeId=10053&langId=-1 ?

The helmet description indicates it is the same as the road version of this helmet except that it includes a removable visor. I plan to use it when riding my hybrid and road bikes. Features including fit adjustment system, # vents, etc., appear to be good, as do most customer reviews. The helmet retailed in the $60-70 range...now on sale...appears to be decent quality and a good deal at the sale price.

Thanks!

Pretty much all helmets are tested to the same ANSI/IEC standard. So they all provide at least the amount of protection required by the standard. AFAIK, no helmets are tested beyond the standard, so there's really no way of knowing if any helmet offers more than the required amount of protection.
IMO, fit is really important. A helmet that rattles around on your head is unlikely to offer optimal protection.
I rate fit much higher than brand when buying helmets.
2nd on my list is how easily it can be cleaned. Straps get grimy and smelly eventually.

2nd on my list is how easily it can be cleaned. Straps get grimy and smelly eventually.

Exactly. Straps need to be scrubbed and so do the pads. A second set of pads that can be washed and ready to swap into the helmet is a good thing. Amazon is a good source for spare pad sets.

As dabac stated, all helmets are tested to pass the same testing standards. Other than the very closed shell 'skate' style and downhill helmets they all are well vented for airflow. Even the more aero designs are cool enough to race at professional speeds and distances.

For more protection the MIPS rotation system now offered on some models might be worth looking at.

The Bell model the OP has linked is a quality product and at least IMO looks pretty good. Bell owns Giro and both brands are considered to produce good stuff. They both offer a full range of helmets from 'really good yet inexpensive' to pro level. My experience with Giro customer service has been positive and I would expect Bell's customer service to be good.

Campybob / dabac,

Thanks for your replies. Yes, I agree that fit is most important. I've gone through this with motorcycle helmets as well. I was not able to see this particular helmet in any shops, but I ordered the helmet anyway...the discounted price was very attractive for a name brand helmet with seemingly good features/quality. The vendor has an excellent return policy if fit is not good. I'll post my findings once the helmet arrives.

Hey all -

My Bell Event XC Mountain Helmet was delivered yesterday. It is very light, well-made, and with good air flow. Adjustability for fit is very good. My head diameter measurement (22.5” / 57.15 cm) called for a 'medium' which is indeed the correct size. There was a good degree of head diameter adjustment remaining (either smaller or larger) in the helmet. The visor is removable but not adjustable. Helmet looks good with or without visor. Bell claims this helmet is the same as the corresponding road helmet only with a removable visor. A very good buy for $34.99. I have no affiliation with vendor...