Beloki losing rear tire... Tubular problem?

Tim McNamara <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> When I was in the Alps last summer, it looked like the seam patches were tar with some sort of
> greenish sand on top rather than asphalt
> mix.

I knew a rider who worked on the roads in France. "Le goudron monte" he would say which means "the
tar is rising". The mode of reparation was to throw gravel on the "risen" tar, no steam rollers or
anything fancy. This made for some pretty dodgey corners.

At the hight of the season when he'd be racing every night in nocturns, he'd be at work at 6 am. Bit
of a force de la nature he was.

Andrew Bradley

news:[email protected]... An anonymous poster wrote:

>>>When reading that Beloki had rolled his rear tire, it brought to mind two things; first, Jobst's
>>>assertions that tubulars are bad in the alps due to melting glue, and second, that heavy rear
>>>braking in that situation has been discussed as a bad thing in this group. He was also using an
>>>18mm tire. Interesting, when some using clinchers don't seem slowed at all, and he might not have
>>>so many broken bones with them.

I commented:

Jim Edgar wrote:

> Hard to say, as the footage was all from the helicopter. It was, however,
> brutal crash - went down hard on his leg/hip, slid for way too long on his elbow and whip-snapped
> his shoulder and head down onto the pavement.
>
> Reports have him with a broken femur and elbow.
>
> How it appeared on the OLN feed this AM:
>
> Vino was about 15 seconds ahead at the crest of the hill, and was
descending
> like a madman. Reported ambient temps were low-to-mid-90's (F). Comments had been made about the
> "softness" of the French roads in this region.
>
> Beloki was leading Armstrong, who had five or six riders behind him. The verbal time gap was given
> as 13 seconds.
>
> Vinokourov approaches the "double bowknot" set of horseshoe turns on
fairly
> narrow roads. This will be where Beloki goes down. The screen computer shows a 10 second gap.

I have since had the opportunity to watch this several times in slo-mo.

It appears to me that the skid began _before_ the turn, as Beloki was trying to slow in preparation
for the turn, but he had not begun to actually lean over into the sharp part of the turn. I believe
this crash would not have happened if he had not used his rear brake.

Lance went over the same pavement, also braking, and didn't fishtail.

> The moto camera was behind Vinokourov as he went through that section -
you
> can see very shiny spots on the roadway as Vino speeds through the 90
degree
> left before the double bowknot. Phil states that you can see the melted spots in the roadway, and
> as Vino makes it through continues, "..that was
> rather dodgy corner". The moto camera seems to slow and shift a bit, as the cameraman has trouble
> keep Vino in the frame.

Do you really believe that Phil Liggett's commentary on the highlights show is done in real time? I
have always assumed that he puts his script together after the event, matching the footage, which he
has already seen. This isn't the first time I've seen a bit of foreshadowing in his copy. He's good
at his job, so he knows how to sound surprised nonetheless.

I'm very sorry that Beloki was injured, and wouldn't normally want to criticize him in a public
forum like this, if it weren't for my belief that this crash offers a valuable lesson to all
cyclists on the dangers of inappropriate use of the rear brake.

Again, for those who tuned in late, here's my article on this important topic. It might save your
life: http://sheldonbrown.com/brakturn.html

Sheldon "Front Brake" Brown +-----------------------------------------------------------------+
| The man who never alters his opinions is like standing water, | and breeds reptiles of the mind.
| --William Blake |
+-----------------------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton,

sorry Sheldon,

Phil and Paul are live for the tour - you can listen to them live and get live timing on the OLN
site, and if you get live pictures (we only get a couple of live stages in Australia) you can hear
it all synchronized together. Looks like this time Phil did what he gets paid for pretty well.

Nick

On 7/14/03 3:51 PM, in article [email protected], "Mike Jacoubowsky/Chain
Reaction Bicycles" <[email protected]> wrote:

> From the photos, it appears that he was riding on clinchers, not tubulars (based on what looks
> very much like a Velox rimstrip on his wheel).

Or a sew-up's base-tape that peeled away from the tire and stuck to the rim.

news:[email protected]... .

> It appears to me that the skid began _before_ the turn, as Beloki was trying to slow in
> preparation for the turn, but he had not begun to actually lean over into the sharp part of the
> turn. I believe this crash would not have happened if he had not used his rear brake.
>
> Lance went over the same pavement, also braking, and didn't fishtail.

Lance clearly stated that Beloki "locked 'em up" in the turn. He was closest to him and had a good
view of his rear wheel. I also assume he knows what a rear wheel lockup looks like.

whitfit-<< When reading that Beloki had rolled his rear tire, it brought to mind two things; first,
Jobst's assertions that tubulars are bad in the alps due to melting glue, and second, that heavy
rear braking in that situation has been discussed as a bad thing in this group. He was also using an
18mm tire. >><BR><BR>

Pix have shown it to be a clincher....

Mike J-<< From the photos, it appears that he was riding on clinchers, not tubulars (based on what
looks very much like a Velox rimstrip on his wheel). >><BR><BR>

Closeups showed it to be a clincher..from the .racing NG...

Benjamin Weiner wrote:

> Sheldon Brown <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > if it weren't for my belief that this crash offers a valuable lesson to all cyclists on the
> > dangers of inappropriate use of the rear brake.
>
> > Again, for those who tuned in late, here's my article on this important topic. It might save
> > your life: http://sheldonbrown.com/brakturn.html
>
> I'm sure you're right that he braked and locked up the rear wheel, esp. as he wasn't very far into
> the turn. It is possible to skid the rear on hairpins without rear braking, especially if the road
> is slick or loose.

I'm certain it is possible to skid the rear without any braking. I did it on a wet road on my
commute home just two days ago. I probably had about 15 lbs in my panniers.

Obviously, if a surface is slippery enough, you can skid without braking.

Stergios

[email protected] (Qui si parla Campagnolo) writes:

> Mike J-<< From the photos, it appears that he was riding on clinchers, not tubulars (based on what
> looks very much like a Velox rimstrip on his wheel). >><BR><BR>
>
> Closeups showed it to be a clincher..from the .racing NG...

The picture isn't definitive. However, Lance said that the wheel exploded; by that I assume he meant
he heard the tube violently rupturing. Does that happen when a tubular is rolled? I wouldn't expect
it. But it definitely occurs when a clincher comes off.

Joe Riel

P.S. Hi Pete---the Ranchos race is this Sunday; we'll discount the entry fee for a former member.

> "Sheldon Brown" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]... .
> >
> > It appears to me that the skid began _before_ the turn, as Beloki was trying to slow in
> > preparation for the turn, but he had not begun to actually lean over into the sharp part of the
> > turn. I believe this crash would not have happened if he had not used his rear brake.
> >
> > Lance went over the same pavement, also braking, and didn't fishtail.

I watched the video again, and Lance does skid the rear while trying to avoid the crash. He gets a
little bit sideways while on the lighter-colored pavement, but his wheel catches again on the dark
patch and he straightens out.

It is most obvious in the "Lance Armstrong talks about the Stage 9 Beloki Crash, Stage 9 Attacks,
and Stage 8 at Alpe d'Huez" video replay on the oln site.

Stergios

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 11:39:20 +0000, Steven L. Sheffield wrote:

> On 7/14/03 3:51 PM, in article [email protected], "Mike
> Jacoubowsky/Chain Reaction Bicycles" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> From the photos, it appears that he was riding on clinchers, not tubulars (based on what looks
>> very much like a Velox rimstrip on his wheel).
>

> Or a sew-up's base-tape that peeled away from the tire and stuck to the rim.

Nah. That would have been pulled away in spots at least. But a decent tubular, and one would expect
he would have them, would not lose its base tape, and certainly not completely as that would have to
have been. It was a clincher.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | This is my religion. There is no need for temples; no need for _`\(,_ | complicated
philosophy. Our own brain, our own heart is our (_)/ (_) | temple. The philosophy is kindness.
--The Dalai Lama

Sheldon Brown <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> I'm very sorry that Beloki was injured, and wouldn't normally want to criticize him in a public
> forum like this, if it weren't for my belief that this crash offers a valuable lesson to all
> cyclists on the dangers of inappropriate use of the rear brake.
>
> Again, for those who tuned in late, here's my article on this important topic. It might save your
> life: http://sheldonbrown.com/brakturn.html

Only problem with this is that locking up the brakes is a reflexive response to an emergency. Cars,
motorcycles, bicycles- when you get scared you slam your foot or hand down and lock 'em up, not
subject to the intervention of your higher brain which presumably knows better. Reading articles is
a small part of it. Practicing what you read is the rest.

Ironically, your article suggests that rear braking may have been appropriate if the corner was
slippery. (I'm not sure I agree with this usually- the front still will give better braking as long
as the brake is properly modulated, unless there is no grab at all from the front tire, in which
case you are porbably going down anyway.) Also, I'm not sure that 10/10ths riding downhill with the
yellow jersey on the line is where you would dispense with the rear brake altogether, since even 5%
rear braking is of value at that point, but you may very well be right that he could have gotten
through with only the front. Maybe rear brakes should be banned.

Beloki's problem was probably pushing to hard, to the point where his reflexes took over, but don't
forget also that on a fast, steep, perhaps slippery downhill, with powerful brakes the rear tire is
even less loaded than usual and relatively easy to lock up. My guess is that he slammed on both
brakes. The two factors may have played into each other: when his wheel locked up his reflexes kept
it that way. Conversely, Armstrong's dirt experience may have conditioned his reflexes for the
correct braking response.

The problem is to have a braking system that functions properly under reflexive *and* higher brain
control. ABS does this as long as you learn to slam on the brakes until the ABS kicks in (and not
let up when it does, which seems to also be a reflexive response in most people) which is the
opposite of how you control emergency braking in a non-ABS car. I could never understand how
motorcycle ABS which was auto-disabled when cornering could work properly- you would have to develop
different (reflexive) braking responses for cornering and straightup riding.

JP

[email protected] (Qui si parla Campagnolo) wrote:

>Pix have shown it to be a clincher....

So there you have it - avoid riding clinchers in the mountains... ;-)

I watched the clip several times in slo-mo, and think it may have happened a little differently.
Here's what I think happened.

The rear tire slid out on slick tar under braking (Beloki countersteering to keep the bike up).
The wheel rotated, constantly bringing a fresh, unslick portion in contact with the tar. Suddenly
the wheel moves OFF the tar, and the tire hooks up with the road surface. The lateral force of
this both peels the tire off the rim (at which point the tube explodes), AND vaults the back of
the bike violently up and to the right. There was no way in the world anyone was going to stay up
at that point.

> [email protected] (Qui si parla Campagnolo) wrote:
>
> >Pix have shown it to be a clincher....
>
> So there you have it - avoid riding clinchers in the mountains... ;-)
>
> I watched the clip several times in slo-mo, and think it may have happened a little differently.
> Here's what I think happened.
>
> The rear tire slid out on slick tar under braking (Beloki countersteering to keep the bike up).
> The wheel rotated, constantly bringing a fresh, unslick portion in contact with the tar. Suddenly
> the wheel moves OFF the tar, and the tire hooks up with the road surface. The lateral force of
> this both peels the tire off the rim (at which point the tube explodes), AND vaults the back of
> the bike violently up and to the right. There was no way in the world anyone was going to stay up
> at that point.

Take a look at the following closeup and tell me those are clinchers.
http://www.velonews.com/tour2003/tech/articles/4514.1.html

Look exactly like Campy Hyperon carbon tubular wheels to me.
http://www.campagnolo.com/pics/cerchio_carbon.jpg

The crash shot makes it look sorta like a clincher, but my money says it's either the tubie's base
tape you're seeing or maybe a double-sided tape/glue alternative like TUFO sells. Either way, I
agree about Beloki's chance of not crashing when the rear tire let go. No hope; shame he didn't luck
out and lowside it.

SB

Bill Davidson wrote:

> A lot of people were talking about tar on the road melting and making it slippery. Who the hell
> still uses tar for pavement? I thought that went out 50-60 years ago.

Nearly all of the township roads in our area are "chip and seal" roads. The cost of any other type
of pavement is prohibitive for these lightly traveled farm roads.

Todd Kuzma Heron Bicycles Tullio's Big Dog Cyclery LaSalle, Il 815-223-1776
http://www.heronbicycles.com http://www.tullios.com

> Do you really believe that Phil Liggett's commentary on the highlights show is done in real time?
> I have always assumed that he puts his script together after the event, matching the footage,
> which he has already seen. This isn't the first time I've seen a bit of foreshadowing in his copy.
> He's good at his job, so he knows how to sound surprised nonetheless.

Yes, I do believe it's done in real-time -- I've been watching the live broadcasts in the morning
and the evening race calls are identical. Phil called it in advance -- even the corner...

TC

Sheldon Brown at [email protected] wrote on 7/14/03 9:46 PM:

> I commented:
>
>>> Could be, but it could also be that the rolled tub was effect, not pause.
>>>
>>> I haven't seen the video yet, but it was mentioned that he had fishtailed. This suggests to me
>>> that he may have used his rear brake when he shouldn't have.
>
> Jim Edgar wrote:
>
>> Hard to say, as the footage was all from the helicopter. It was, however, a brutal crash - went
>> down hard on his leg/hip, slid for way too long on his elbow and whip-snapped his shoulder and
>> head down onto the pavement.
>>
>> Reports have him with a broken femur and elbow.
>>
>> How it appeared on the OLN feed this AM:
>>
>> Vino was about 15 seconds ahead at the crest of the hill, and was descending like a madman.
>> Reported ambient temps were low-to-mid-90's (F). Comments had been made about the "softness" of
>> the French roads in this region.
>>
>> Beloki was leading Armstrong, who had five or six riders behind him. The verbal time gap was
>> given as 13 seconds.
>>
>> Vinokourov approaches the "double bowknot" set of horseshoe turns on fairly narrow roads. This
>> will be where Beloki goes down. The screen computer shows a 10 second gap.
>
> I have since had the opportunity to watch this several times in slo-mo.
>
> It appears to me that the skid began _before_ the turn, as Beloki was trying to slow in
> preparation for the turn, but he had not begun to actually lean over into the sharp part of the
> turn. I believe this crash would not have happened if he had not used his rear brake.
>
> Lance went over the same pavement, also braking, and didn't fishtail.
>
>> The moto camera was behind Vinokourov as he went through that section - you can see very shiny
>> spots on the roadway as Vino speeds through the 90 degree left before the double bowknot. Phil
>> states that you can see the melted spots in the roadway, and as Vino makes it through continues,
>> "..that was a rather dodgy corner". The moto camera seems to slow and shift a bit, as the
>> cameraman has trouble keep Vino in the frame.
>
> Do you really believe that Phil Liggett's commentary on the highlights show is done in real time?
> I have always assumed that he puts his script together after the event, matching the footage,
> which he has already seen. This isn't the first time I've seen a bit of foreshadowing in his copy.
> He's good at his job, so he knows how to sound surprised nonetheless.

Yeah, I actually do. They claim to be "LIVE" on the AM shows - or maybe I'm easy to convince at that
hour. At the least I think it's reasonably in the same time frame - maybe 30 seconds to a minute
delay at most. Of course, that would allow plenty of time for the foreshadowing you detect.

Color me niave. ;^)

But, I've also heard him mis-call riders on a regular basis, and I think they would definitely edit
that out, given the chance. Also, with the AM feeds, there are many periods of dead air, where they
seem to be gathering facts. Also, when they come back from break, you can sometimes hear Paul
Sherwin commenting on what seems to be another broadcast. Plus, they often interrupt one another
mid-sentance, if some key action comes to them over race radio.

Back in this year's Giro, there was the key race moment when they lost the feed, and all were rather
vexed, resulting in a fine example of one syllable Anglo-Saxon verbiage which probably got snipped
before the evening broadcast.

They are on a webchat tomorrow at 2 pm ET on OLNTV.com. I'll take an early lunch and ask them.

-- Jim

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> Mike J-<< From the photos, it appears that he was riding on clinchers, not tubulars (based on what
> looks very much like a Velox rimstrip on his wheel). >><BR><BR>
>
> Closeups showed it to be a clincher..from the .racing NG...

The photos aren't clear. The wheels do look like carbon-rimmed campy tubulars, and the fact that
most of the tire is still seated on the rim after the crash suggests tubulars. It would very
difficult to roll a fully-inflated clincher.

Todd Kuzma Heron Bicycles Tullio's Big Dog Cyclery LaSalle, Il 815-223-1776
http://www.heronbicycles.com http://www.tullios.com

Stergios Papadakis:

> I watched the video again, and Lance does skid the rear while trying to avoid the crash. He gets a
> little bit sideways while on the lighter-colored pavement, but his wheel catches again on the dark
> patch and he straightens out.

If front brake only is the way, then a lot of racers are getting it wrong. I speculate that most
racers would react with both brakes in an emergency like that.

Dual pivot brakes on the back are lethal.

Andrew Bradley

In article <[email protected]>,
Todd Kuzma <[email protected]> wrote:

> Bill Davidson wrote:
>
> > A lot of people were talking about tar on the road melting and making it slippery. Who the hell
> > still uses tar for pavement? I thought that went out 50-60 years ago.
>
> Nearly all of the township roads in our area are "chip and seal" roads. The cost of any other type
> of pavement is prohibitive for these lightly traveled farm roads.

And renewed every few years by spraying a fresh coat of hot tar and covering with pea gravel, so
that farm machinery and other vehicular traffic will roll it down and make it a road- which really
sucks on a bike! ;-)