Beloki losing rear tire... Tubular problem?

Bill Davidson <[email protected]> wrote in message

> Yeah. It was a hard right turn on a fast winding descent. He and Lance were trying to chase down
> Vinokourov so they were pushing it. Beloki's back wheel slid out way to his left and then slid
> back to his right and he fell down the hill sideways on his right side. It looked very very
> painful. It was a sad thing to see. He was a big part of making this year's tour interesting.
>
> The way he slid, it did look like rear braking may have been at fault but it's hard to tell
> for sure.

I watched the accident on OLN tonight and it appeared to me as Beloki's rear wheel sliding to the
left was caused by braking on the slick tar, and then he attempted to correct himself by grabbing
the front brake while trying to straighten himself out. This caused his rear wheel to become
airborne, floating rather than sliding back to the right. The impact of the rear wheel hitting the
ground caused both the tire to roll, and Beloki to be thrown over the bike to the ground.

-zel

"Bikezelbub Smith" <[email protected]> wrote

> I watched the accident on OLN tonight and it appeared to me as Beloki's rear wheel sliding to the
> left was caused by braking on the slick tar, and then he attempted to correct himself by grabbing
> the front brake while trying to straighten himself out. This caused his rear wheel to become
> airborne, floating rather than sliding back to the right. The impact of the rear wheel hitting the
> ground caused both the tire to roll, and Beloki to be thrown over the bike to the ground.

That's exactly how it appeared to me.

James Thomson

Here's my take. It's a tubular based on:

1) Most of the tire is still on the rim. A clincher would have slipped off - especially given the
forces of the fall.
2) The part of the tire that's loose from the rim is flattened as though pinched between two fingers
placed on the tread/stitching . A clincher would probably have restored itself to it's natural
state & shape. This seems to be the natural state for a non-inflated tubular.

MOO, Matt

[email protected] (Bikezelbub Smith) wrote:

>I watched the accident on OLN tonight and it appeared to me as Beloki's rear wheel sliding to the
>left was caused by braking on the slick tar, and then he attempted to correct himself by grabbing
>the front brake while trying to straighten himself out. This caused his rear wheel to become
>airborne, floating rather than sliding back to the right. The impact of the rear wheel hitting the
>ground caused both the tire to roll, and Beloki to be thrown over the bike to the ground.

If the rear wheel lift was caused by too much front brake, the rear wheel would not have "changed
directions", but the initial slide would have continued (and the rear wheel would have gone past
poor ol' Beloki on the left).

The fact the tire (tubie or clincher) was ripped off the rim by the "liftoff" indicates that it
wasn't due to front braking.

Originally posted by Mark Hickey
[email protected] (Bikezelbub Smith) wrote:

>I watched the accident on OLN tonight and it appeared to me as Beloki's rear wheel sliding to the
>left was caused by braking on the slick tar, and then he attempted to correct himself by grabbing
>the front brake while trying to straighten himself out. This caused his rear wheel to become
>airborne, floating rather than sliding back to the right. The impact of the rear wheel hitting the
>ground caused both the tire to roll, and Beloki to be thrown over the bike to the ground.

If the rear wheel lift was caused by too much front brake, the rear wheel would not have "changed
directions", but the initial slide would have continued (and the rear wheel would have gone past
poor ol' Beloki on the left).

The fact the tire (tubie or clincher) was ripped off the rim by the "liftoff" indicates that it
wasn't due to front braking.

ProCycling.com is now postulating that the brakes may have become "stuck" to the carbon rims due to the extreme heat. That would explain the skid and the blow-off, and it would give the appearance that Joseba used poor braking technique.

"James Thomson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> "Bikezelbub Smith" <[email protected]> wrote
>
> > I watched the accident on OLN tonight and it appeared to me as Beloki's rear wheel sliding to
> > the left was caused by braking on the slick tar, and then he attempted to correct himself by
> > grabbing the front brake while trying to straighten himself out. This caused his rear wheel to
> > become airborne, floating rather than sliding back to the right. The impact of the rear wheel
> > hitting the ground caused both the tire to roll, and Beloki to be thrown over the bike to the
> > ground.
>
> That's exactly how it appeared to me.
>
> James Thomson

MAY I ASK?? I'm media deprived. was armstrong catching beloki, over how long a time span-track
distance-was armstrong closing faster as he closed on beloki? and how fast were the two going when
beloki crashed?? does beloki wear a radio back to the team manager?

Bikezelbub Smith at [email protected] wrote on 7/16/03 9:37 PM:
> I watched the accident on OLN tonight and it appeared to me as Beloki's rear wheel sliding to the
> left was caused by braking on the slick tar, and then he attempted to correct himself by grabbing
> the front brake while trying to straighten himself out. This caused his rear wheel to become
> airborne, floating rather than sliding back to the right. The impact of the rear wheel hitting the
> ground caused both the tire to roll, and Beloki to be thrown over the bike to the ground.

Recheck the video - the tire rolled off when the rear tire was to his left, which seems to be what
chucked him back to the right. When the airborne rim hit the ground, he pitched over high-side. His
front wheel was remarkably straight throughout the fishtail.

Originally posted by G.Daniels

MAY I ASK?? I'm media deprived. was armstrong catching beloki, over how long a time span-track
distance-was armstrong closing faster as he closed on beloki? and how fast were the two going when
beloki crashed?? does beloki wear a radio back to the team manager? [/B]

Wow G - I think this is the first post of yours that I've ever understood.

Armstrong and Beloki were working together to chase down Vinokourov who was about 30 seconds ahead and in the lead. The Hamilton group that Lance later hooked up with was about 10 seconds behind. It was a pretty steep decent so they may have been hitting 50mph in some sections, probably closer to 35 at the time of the crash because they were coming in to a very sharp hairpin turn. Lance was following Joseba at about the minimum safe distance for the terrain and speed, he wasn't right on his wheel. Lance did say that he and Joseba were "bombing the decent" and implied that Joseba may have been pushing the envelope just a little bit too far.

DiabloScott wrote:
> Armstrong and Beloki were working together to chase down Vinokourov who was about 30 seconds ahead
> and in the lead.

13-15 seconds.

One remarkable aspect is that Phil Liggett said, as the camera chased Vino through a turn, "That was
a rather dodgy corner," immediately before Beloki and LANCE went through the same corner. Well,
*started* through the corner - neither actually went through it. You can get the exact time split by
counting between Liggett's commentary and the crash.

g.daniels wrote:
> MAY I ASK?? I'm media deprived. was armstrong catching beloki, over how long a time span-track
> distance-was armstrong closing faster as he closed on beloki? and how fast were the two going when
> beloki crashed?? does beloki wear a radio back to the team manager?

There's video out there, try the usual cycling web sites.

LANCE was about 10 meters behind and preparing a better line through the corner, decelerating
gradually. When Beloki hammered his brakes (and slowed quickly due to crashing) LANCE closed of
course. This happened over the space of about two seconds, so the separation and relative speed
isn't all that meaningful. Speed was in the 35-40 mph range. Of course Beloki carries a radio
(I assume).

As I ponder this and the photos, I'm thinking that

(1) this was a tubular wheel as it appears to be an all-carbon rim and

(2) that the tire was held on by tape rather than glue, which is what you see in the photos after
the crash (rather than a Velox rim strip).

Carbon fiber isn't much of a conductor of heat, so the glue shouldn't have gotten warm enough to
allow the tire to roll off. But tape simply doesn't hold as well, especially if Beloki ground
through the tread and casing while skidding- allowing the tire to pop with a bang.

Originally posted by Tim McNamara
As I ponder this and the photos, I'm thinking that

(1) this was a tubular wheel as it appears to be an all-carbon rim and

(2) that the tire was held on by tape rather than glue, which is what you see in the photos after
the crash (rather than a Velox rim strip).

Carbon fiber isn't much of a conductor of heat, so the glue shouldn't have gotten warm enough to
allow the tire to roll off. But tape simply doesn't hold as well, especially if Beloki ground
through the tread and casing while skidding- allowing the tire to pop with a bang.

Since carbon fiber is a poor conductor of heat, the CF rims get HOTTER than aluminum rims (reduced ability to dissipate the heat of braking friction), therefore glue softening is a bigger issue. I think Todd's right, it's just a trick of the light reflecting on the glue - I just can't see the ONCE mechanics using tape.

This snippet from http://www.zipp.com/BrakeBlocks/

"Carbon composites have thermal capacity similar to aluminum, although their ability to transfer heat is much more limited. However, we are building carbon rims at roughly half the weight of competing aluminum rims, so we are faced with the challenge of what to do with the heat energy. In theory, a Zipp 280 rim, because of its extreme loss in mass, will achieve roughly twice the temperature as an industry standard 30mm deep aluminum rim weighing twice as much. Furthermore, we have taken every measure possible to conduct heat down the rim sidewall and not into the tire bed where it may soften tire cement or potentially cause other problems, somewhat further reducing the rim thermal capacity. "

"Raptor" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> One remarkable aspect is that Phil Liggett said, as the camera chased Vino through a turn, "That
> was a rather dodgy corner," immediately before Beloki and LANCE went through the same corner.
> Well, *started* through the corner - neither actually went through it. You can get the exact time
> split by counting between Liggett's commentary and the crash.

Except that the corner that Liggett made the comment on was a left hander, while that where Beloki
came to grief was a right hander. From the relative timing, I think the dodgy corner may have been
the one that Armstrong cut, which was immedialy after the one where Beloki crashed.

Regards,

Suzy

On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 15:50:01 +0000, Tim McNamara wrote:

> Carbon fiber isn't much of a conductor of heat, so the glue shouldn't have gotten warm enough to
> allow the tire to roll off. But tape simply doesn't hold as well, especially if Beloki ground
> through the tread and casing while skidding- allowing the tire to pop with a bang.

Why would any sensible wrench use tape, especially on a stage with serious downhills? Since we agree
that tape does not hold well, it has no place in such an event.

The picture sure looked like a Velox rim tape. People say those wheels don't come in a clincher
version, but teams on the Tour get all sorts of unavailable equipment.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | Accept risk. Accept responsibility. Put a lawyer out of _`\(,_ | business. (_)/ (_) |

Suzy Jackson wrote:
> "Raptor" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>

>>One remarkable aspect is that Phil Liggett said, as the camera chased Vino through a turn, "That
>>was a rather dodgy corner," immediately before Beloki and LANCE went through the same corner.
>>Well, *started* through the corner - neither actually went through it. You can get the exact time
>>split by counting between Liggett's commentary and the crash.
>

> Except that the corner that Liggett made the comment on was a left hander, while that where Beloki
> came to grief was a right hander. From the relative timing, I think the dodgy corner may have been
> the one that Armstrong cut, which was immedialy after the one where Beloki crashed.
>
> Regards,
>
> Suzy

They were two corners, a gentle(r) right-hander into a left-hand hairpin. Phil said "That was..."
between the two IIRC, and I assumed he was talking about the right-hander. Vino had to decelerate
pretty sharply before the combination, and picked his way through the right-hander. IMO.

diablo-<< So, yes it's a sew-up but what is that white stuff? Answer that question and you'll
convince the non-believers. >><BR><BR>

If it is a tubie, I hope they aren't using sticky tape to glue them on......

Raptor <[email protected]> wrote:

>DiabloScott wrote:
>> Armstrong and Beloki were working together to chase down Vinokourov who was about 30 seconds
>> ahead and in the lead.
>
>13-15 seconds.

Yes - it may have been only 10 or 12 seconds (they were catching Vinny) - and keep in mind that it
appears that Armstrong (who is a pretty fair descender) was braking harder sooner than Beloki. It
will be interesting to see how much Beloki remembers about the seconds before his tour ended.

Suzy Jackson at [email protected] wrote on 7/17/03 3:01 PM:

> "Raptor" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
>> One remarkable aspect is that Phil Liggett said, as the camera chased Vino through a turn, "That
>> was a rather dodgy corner," immediately before Beloki and LANCE went through the same corner.
>> Well, *started* through the corner - neither actually went through it. You can get the exact time
>> split by counting between Liggett's commentary and the crash.
>
> Except that the corner that Liggett made the comment on was a left hander, while that where Beloki
> came to grief was a right hander. From the relative timing, I think the dodgy corner may have been
> the one that Armstrong cut, which was immedialy after the one where Beloki crashed.

It's a bit misleading because the cameras are following Vinokourov while the footage of the crash
was from the helicopter.

The turn sequence was:

90 degree left toward the double horshoe

180 degree right (first horseshoe where Beloki crashed)

180 degree left (second horseshoe where Armstrong cyclocross dis/remounts)

Phil was commenting on the difficulty throughout the sequence, and made the "dodgy" comment as Vino
was through the final left horseshoe.

In article <[email protected]>, "David L. Johnson" <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 15:50:01 +0000, Tim McNamara wrote:
>
> > Carbon fiber isn't much of a conductor of heat, so the glue shouldn't have gotten warm enough to
> > allow the tire to roll off. But tape simply doesn't hold as well, especially if Beloki ground
> > through the tread and casing while skidding- allowing the tire to pop with a bang.
>
> Why would any sensible wrench use tape, especially on a stage with serious downhills? Since we
> agree that tape does not hold well, it has no place in such an event.

From various things I've read over the years, from people observing pro wrenches in action, I'm not
sure that "sensible" is necessarily an apt descriptor.

> The picture sure looked like a Velox rim tape. People say those wheels don't come in a clincher
> version, but teams on the Tour get all sorts of unavailable equipment.

There is that. But would a carbon clincher rim be feasible?

In article <[email protected]>,
DiabloScott <[email protected]> wrote:

> Tim McNamara wrote:
> > As I ponder this and the photos, I'm thinking that (1) this was a tubular wheel as it appears
> > to be an all-carbon rim and (2) that the tire was held on by tape rather than glue, which is
> > what you see in the photos after the crash (rather than a Velox rim strip). Carbon fiber isn't
> > much of a conductor of heat, so the glue shouldn't have gotten warm enough to allow the tire
> > to roll off. But tape simply doesn't hold as well, especially if Beloki ground through the
> > tread and casing while skidding- allowing the tire to pop with a bang.
>
> Since carbon fiber is a poor conductor of heat, the CF rims get HOTTER than aluminum rims (reduced
> ability to dissipate the heat of braking friction), therefore glue softening is a bigger issue. I
> think Todd's right, it's just a trick of the light reflecting on the glue - I just can't see the
> ONCE mechanics using tape.

From what I've read from the engineers in this newsgroup over the years, the fact that carbon fiber
is a poor conductor of heat would mean that the *brake pads* would get hotter, not the rim. And even
if the sidewall surface got hotter, the heat would not be conducted to the rim bed and therefore not
to the glue. Here's some of the things I've read over the years.

From Jobst Brandt in various threads, some time ago, talking about ceramic rims which are also poor
conductors of heat:

> Braking heat is generated in the softer medium, the brake pad, in this case. This heat must first
> enter the rim, which it cannot easily do.

> Ceramics are insulators, both electrical and thermal, so the braking energy converted to heat in
> the brake pad cannot transfer to the aluminum rim where it can be dissipated.

And about carbon/composite rims:

> Forget it. Braking on composite surfaces is a dud anyway, because the thermal conductivity is so
> poor that your brake pads will melt if you try to use them on a descent. The whole concept is for
> road and track TT's where you don't have to brake.

> Most carbon brakes, such as commercial airliners and F1 race cars use carbon on carbon because
> the temperatures are such that other friction materials would burn. Besides, the wear debris from
> carbon brakes is CO2. I'm sure your brakes won't get that hot, but the pads will melt if you
> brake hard.

> I don't see where any of the above reasons rule out rim brakes except for the rain. Disc brakes
> have too little surface to dissipate power at the rate that rim brakes do, but that will change as
> more people go to insulators for rims (aka carbon fiber).

From David Blake:

> The ceramic is an insulator, so that the heat from braking will be kept in the brake pad. Aluminum
> is a pretty good heat transfer agent, and the rims normally stay cool on long descents by
> convection. With ceramic rims instead, you've lost your heat dissipation capacity, and the brake
> pads will melt instead. The rim will not get as hot for a given amount of braking.

The same phenomenon of overheating brake pads was common in the days of wooden rims which were used
because they were poor conductors of heat (and, being composites, are strucurally closer to carbon
fiber than to metal), which resulted in burning/vaporizing brake pad material. How about that-
carbon fiber is just high-tech wood! ;-)

> This snippet from http://www.zipp.com/BrakeBlocks/
>
> "Carbon composites have thermal capacity similar to aluminum, although their ability to transfer
> heat is much more limited.

Which is why CF composite is used as an insulator in heat shields. Note that the last half of Zipp's
sentence contradicts the rest of their paragraph.

> However, we are building carbon rims at roughly half the weight of competing aluminum rims, so we
> are faced with the challenge of what to do with the heat energy.

The heat energy which is in the brake pads, and does not transfer well to the rim.

> In theory, a Zipp 280 rim, because of its extreme loss in mass, will achieve roughly twice the
> temperature as an industry standard 30mm deep aluminum rim weighing twice as much.

But apparently they haven't measured- not that doing so would be at all difficult. Since CF is a
poor thermal conductor- an insulator- it will poorly transfer heat from the brake pad into the rim.
The rim won't get hot and it won't conduct heat to the glue bed.

> Furthermore, we have taken every measure possible to conduct heat down the rim sidewall and not
> into the tire bed where it may soften tire cement or potentially cause other problems, somewhat
> further reducing the rim thermal capacity. "

And what measures are these? The thermal equivalent of lightning rods?

Perhaps one of the engineering types can correct either my understanding or Zipp's.