Best Breakfast For Cycling

Carnold23

Oct 14, 2015
What is your go to breakfast for a race day, or just a day where you will be cycling for long periods.breakfast is the most important meal of the day, especially if you are going to be riding. What is your favorite meal to have for breakfast for big days?

I prefer light breakfast if I am going for a long ride. For instance I eat protein milkshakes or protein bars.

If I am going for a big ride 35-60 miles I will usually load up with a big breakfast. Maybe 2 eggs and 2 or 3 pieces of fried ham or two to three packets of oatmeal and maybe a protein shake. If I don't have to be at work until late I may take my time and do 4-5 pieces of french toast, which is nice.

Reactions: abuain007
I usually prefer something light but protein rich with some healthy carbs thrown in. Peanut butter or avocado on wheat toast are two of my favourites, but scrambled eggs or a cheese omelette is good too. If it's just going to be a short ride or I don't have a lot of time, a protein bar works, or sometimes just a banana.

Before cycling, I eat one to two hours before so I will not feel heavy and full during the event or ride. I prepare a heavy and hearty meal in my early morning bike ride so that I will have the energy throughout the ride to sustain it and so that I will not feel tired. My usual meal consists of carbohydrates, proteins and some fruits. Since I am in a hurry and it is in the early morning, I just prepare meals which are easy to prepare like bread, fried or boiled eggs, ham and some fruits juice, or oat meals with milk or hot chocolate and fruits like bananas and berries. In race days or just casual rides, breakfast is really vital so that we bike for long periods and sustain our energy levels to an optimum fir the duration of the trip or event. [SIZE=12pt][/SIZE]

For some reasons I like to have eggs when I go cycling, I feel they give me long lasting energy for the effort I am making. I avoid eating sugars because they run away really fast and I am left without energy.

I'll only have a light breakfast as well usually, just something to boost the energy, rather than to make me feel full.

Scrambled eggs on toast is usually the preferred option but anything as long as it's light, and it doesn't make me want to go for a sleep instead!

I have found myself being drawn to the raw foods diet. Since feasting on only raw foods I have found myself with a lot of energy and my body has completely detox. I have found out that at the end of the day you still need to have some cooked food because it is these foods that give you other necessary macronutrients such as carbohydrates which are needed for the proper functioning of your body. I recommend that you start out your day however eating fruits and vegetables.

likeascroll said:
I love French toast and bacon. Or pancakes! Breakfast burritos are amazing too.
Wow ! All that food sounds sumptuous, but that's a recipe for a heart attack. Yes exercising will help to burn off that energy, but some of that fat and cholesterol will still do damage. Be careful pal.

A lot of food rich in carbohydrates. This may include flour and rice. I believe in having a hearty breakfast.

moneyman said:
I prefer light breakfast if I am going for a long ride. For instance I eat protein milkshakes or protein bars.
I love protein bars. They're really expensive where I live though. I can only buy them occasionally.

pwarbi said:
I'll only have a light breakfast as well usually, just something to boost the energy, rather than to make me feel full.
Scrambled eggs on toast is usually the preferred option but anything as long as it's light, and it doesn't make me want to go for a sleep instead!
Scrambled egg is rich in protein. Protein gives energy but at a more moderate rate than carbohydrates.

Reactions: pwarbi
Pancakes are really nice. I just don't think they are a complete source of energy for me though. They are like the appetizers.

I can't have a big breakfast, although I definitely feel like I should. I like pastries (bagels? that sort of stuff) or a sandwich. Sometimes I'll eat bacon and eggs, but those times tend to overload my very sensitive stomach :(

Protein and seeds and vegs, not carbohydrates or coffee for sure because it can get really dangerous for me. First I am full of energy then I faint off the bike. And no acidic fruits like apple or orange because my stomach can get really moody.

What food you consume on the go is also important, especially if your in for a long journey.

While it's important to set out on a healthy breakfast, it's just as important to maintain that energy throughout your ride, without resorting to mars bars and energy drinks!

The first rule is that you should eat about one and a half hours before cycling to allow the food to be fairly digested. You will get a lot of comfort this way otherwise you may bloat and associated stomach complications, not to mention the common stitch. The second rule is on what to eat. You have to make sure you consume high carbohydrates foods because they shall provide the necessary sugars needed for respiration. Make sure you accompany the food with lots of water and be sure to carry some. This is the kind of meal combination and timing that would be very optimal for the exercise. Your body will be properly nourished along the way. ;)

Try just to make sure I eat enough for dinner the day before. Eat some fruit and a shake. Take some more fruit with me. Usually this does it.

I will prefer light food before anyone goes out for cycling and it should be taken before 2-3 hrs before going for cycling because it needs some time to digest and feel good.The best meals that I want to prefer is not much high calories food but to have meal and you can take mango, an egg burrito with sweet potato, spinach and many others healthy but light meals.