Best breakfast.. please help a fellow cyclist in need :()

DawnDrifter

Oct 7, 2007
I need some assitance and guidance from you please
need to know what would be the best best pre-ride and best daily(non ride days) breakfast to have.

I dont know sh!t about whats best... My primary goal is to lose the body i have built up over the years. 118kg today, down from 140 in 13 months. have a goal to get it under the tonn by mid next year. I am trying to create the calorie deficit(and eating clean) much written about and it is working slowly..i do not mind this

I ride approx 30kms back to back days(60km in 2 days).. rest and then repeat(when time permits). building up to do 50km back to back which im hoping wont take too long(im actually quite proud of this achievement as a year ago i would have had a coronary doing over 15kms lol)

now what I currently eat for brekkie is either cerial(uncle tobys sports + normal milk) or brown toast lots of grains + honey or cheese(2 or 4 pieces)

Should I add protien a protien source(or anything else for that matter) before i ride?

After i ride i think im doing ok... Im not usually hungry after just thirsty... take on about 1L on bike then lots of water after and a protien source(shake usually)
Dont use powerade etc unless I do 45k + in 1 day(or if its a hot day over 30degrees C)

I have read up a lot of info on this forum and it has been gold.. thought id start up a thread specifically for my question..

please any info to help this bludger lose his keg would be appreciated :cool:
cheers
Drifter

i'm weird i think, i just don't feel famished when i get up in the morning. i don't eat unless i can eat 3 hrs before i ride... 2hr min... i sleep in 'til 1hr before ride if i can.

i eat about 5mins into the ride... 1/2 a granola bar and then finish the granola bar in the 1st hour. 1 bar about every 1.5hrs after that + maltodextrin-water drink. don't get hungry and don't bonk. i used to eat breakfast but found i just don't need it and i perform much better without pre breakfast ride... on the road breakfast works much better for me.

DawnDrifter said:
My primary goal is to lose the body i have built up over the years.

I ride approx 30kms back to back days(60km in 2 days)..

now what I currently eat for brekkie is either cerial(uncle tobys sports + normal milk) or brown toast lots of grains + honey or cheese(2 or 4 pieces)

Should I add protien a protien source(or anything else for that matter) before i ride?

After i ride i think im doing ok... Im not usually hungry after just thirsty... take on about 1L on bike then lots of water after and a protien source(shake usually)
Dont use powerade etc unless I do 45k + in 1 day(or if its a hot day over 30degrees C)

Drifter
Do not eat cerial, grains, honey or cheese.
Substitute with fruit, include almonds and salmon (as you are likely insulin resistant, the omega 3's will change this, promote accelerated fat loss).

Do not muffins. Do not drink power aid juices.

Diet is 90%.
Your cardio is in check.
Avoid simple carbs, maintain a calorie deficit, you should melt away.

Include tri-chromium and alpha lapoic acid before bed.

Drink water religiously,

Fudge Monkey said:
Do not eat cerial, grains, honey or cheese.
Substitute with fruit, include almonds and salmon (as you are likely insulin resistant, the omega 3's will change this, promote accelerated fat loss).

Do not muffins. Do not drink power aid juices.

Diet is 90%.
Your cardio is in check.
Avoid simple carbs, maintain a calorie deficit, you should melt away.

Include tri-chromium and alpha lapoic acid before bed.

Drink water religiously,
Cheers mate i really appreciate the great info...

I think I can put a tick against the water.. drink on avg 2L a day but obviously i can crank it up if necessary

So i take it, in the morning I have been stacking too much energy which is slowing my progress.. ill definately keepm sugars to a minimum, the guy sitting next to me at work has beat it out of me!

regarding the fruits, which are better.. bananas, citrus type, carrots, apples or they are all good?

and also a question regarding " Include tri-chromium and alpha lapoic acid before bed." what on earth is that? is it in pills or is it found in day to day foods?

thanks again!

DawnDrifter said:
I ride approx 30kms back to back days(60km in 2 days).. rest and then repeat(when time permits). building up to do 50km back to back which im hoping wont take too long(im actually quite proud of this achievement as a year ago i would have had a coronary doing over 15kms lol)

It sounds to me like you're eating quite a sensible brekky - though I would probably stick to half a cup of low GI cereal with nuts, and a piece of fruit (usually an apple, because I like them) before a 30km ride. The cereal for the longer energy, the fruit for a little kick when starting out. Four pieces of toast would take up too much space and not give me enough energy. Though brown, grainy toast is obviously a lot better than white toast.

You're already getting a certain amount of protein in the grains, cheese and milk. You shouldn't need anymore than that before heading out. Depending on how hard you're pushing yourself, you'll want to get some protein into you within half an hour of finishing your ride. I'm not a big fan protein shakes - they tend to be high on additives and low on things that you could call 'food'. Check out the details of the one you're using, it might be adding more calories than you expect.

Congratulations on your progress so far and best of luck for meeting your 50km and 1 tonne goals.

Ok firstly id like to thank you all for the advice. its been great

I will post my progress in the future where possible

I have taken on the advice to eat small before cycling then taking something with me on bike to keep energy levels up.. Got some energy bar from the LBS to test then bought a box(endura/edura or something like that). Im sure there is better but it was there so i got it

so now before I get out there i have some cerial with skim milk, take 2 750ml water bottles and a bar
have some of the bar around 10kms more 24kms and finish it before I finish my 45km day(i have upped my rate from 30km back to back to 45km then 30km back to back). Now there is no science around the timing of eating its just that there is a gate and a kind of lookout thing at those intervals.
when i finish i still do the protien thing (tuna,salmon or shake) + salad and/or fruit + youghurt. i think my recoveries are getting a little better so i dont know if its the food or body getting used to the kms..

the calorie deficit is working a treat.. i eat lots but if its somethin off the shelf and has a lable, its got to have a low calorie count.. i am counting around 1500 a day + fruit and things i cant count say 2000 a day.
i used this link to get some targets set http://www.healthrecipes.com/calories.htm

result:
last time i reported i was 118.. today im 115 :cool:

ps - i picked up a Polar CS200cad to monitor my progress.. it doesnt make me go better or anything obviously but psychologically it makes me feel like im 'training' rather then just 'riding a bike'.. excellent little unit

thanks again

Is this 3lbs drop since you've been changing your eating habits? Congradulations!
Remember carbs, protein, fats all contain calories - and the objective is keep your total daily calorie intake low. Don't be mistaken to think "i can eat tons of protein and so long as i keep the carbs low, i'll be okay".

All fruits are good.
ALA and Chromium are available in gel capsule form from your local nutrition store. These are found naturally in most foods in very small amounts (not sure about the ALA, ALA will lower blood sugar and help reglate blood sugar to facilitate weight loss by tapping into fat stores for fuel). Cinamon is also very good. I don't buy into unproven gimmick supplements (i've tried them all, studied them all, ALA and chrome work, for real).

Be sure to weigh yourself first thing in the morning, naked, for accurate measurements (i often pee first to squeeze out that extra ounce :p ).

Please keep us posted on your results!

cricketk said:
I would probably stick to half a cup of low GI cereal with nuts, and a piece of fruit (usually an apple, because I like them) before a 30km ride. The cereal for the longer energy, the fruit for a little kick when starting out.
It's actually the opposite.
Cereral provides immediate energy (it's basically bread), fruit provides steady, slower release.

In this instance where the subject's objective is weight loss, high GI foods causing high rise in insulin should be avoided.

Of coure this is only my opinion and stand to be corrected.

Keep up the great work!

Fudge Monkey said:
It's actually the opposite.
Cereral provides immediate energy (it's basically bread), fruit provides steady, slower release.

In this instance where the subject's objective is weight loss, high GI foods causing high rise in insulin should be avoided.

Of coure this is only my opinion and stand to be corrected.

Keep up the great work!
I agree with you totally about avoiding high GI foods. I'm pretty sure I stated 'low GI cereal' in what I said.

I don't know where you guys are living, but the bulk of complex cereals and mueslis available in Australia are high-fibre / low-GI. You can get the GI numbers off the packaging. The sweet rubbish like cocoa-pops etc is clearly of no value.

Apples are a low-GI fruit, so I am in error there, but things like melons, dates and raisins are all high GI. As is most fruit juice.

Sorry to be such an ignorant newbie, but could someone quickly remind me what GI is? Thanks in advance :)

ok an update
now 110kg
havent been riding as much as id like too but have been getting out there... closest iv been to doing the tonne over 2 days is 88kms... ill get there soon
have taken up boxing too which is so much fun :)

I have swapped my energy bar when riding longer distance to this one http://www.powerbar.com.au/products_details/powerbar_performance.asp
Its excellent and does the job for me

Other then that just ben eating good as discussed above and trying to be active for 5-6 days out of every week

Can anyone suggest chocolate with low sugar/fat that doesnt taste like cardboard/shite?

Congratulations on your success so far. That's great.

Eat real chocolate. It's good for you.