Best Joint Supplement?

jumpergrrl1979

Mar 24, 2015
I have terrible issues with my right knee ( the result of a fall from my horse ) and am wondering if anyone can recommend a great joint supplement. I have had surgery to repair a bucket tear to my meniscus, but still have horrible cracking and grinding while on my bike. I have tried glucosamine tablets, but feel I need something more. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Reactions: nonicenevecs86
It is very sad to know about your tragedy. Actually i have also face some problem in my left knee. I can't walk properly and not able myself to walk on up stairs. So i had went to physiotherapy which is in caterham. He examined me thoroughly and move my left knee where i had lot of swerte pain i can't bend my knee. Now i am in his observation and feels much better of before.

Stairs are still a big issue for me as well. I have trouble completely straightening my knee so kneeling is also an issue. I am interested in the physiotherapy that you have been through. What kind of exercises did you do? I was considering making a trip to my local sports medicine clinic for further evaluation. I am at my wits end with this knee and am interested in hearing about any alternative therapies.

I have issues with me knees also, but I'm pretty sure it's from gaining weight over the last little while. I bet health food stores can help you.

The best supplements have not been proven to be any more efficacious than NSAIDs. I take both naproxen and a glucosamine supplement daily. Any help from glucosamine is questionable. There have been some studies of SAM-E for joint pain, but it is expensive.

Exercise and stretching work the best for me. Swimming and cycling keep my knee working as well as it can until I replace it.

maydog said:
The best supplements have not been proven to be any more efficacious than NSAIDs. I take both naproxen and a glucosamine supplement daily. Any help from glucosamine is questionable. There have been some studies of SAM-E for joint pain, but it is expensive.

Exercise and stretching work the best for me. Swimming and cycling keep my knee working as well as it can until I replace it.
I agree that the natural way is the best way to address pain and discomfort. Besides the said methods for exercise, I would suggest to drink a lot of water to keep joints lubricated. Lots of compressed ice post workouts. When the body is at rest and you are not going anywhere try some deep heating rub with dressing to get the blood flowing and muscle repair.

I am not a big fan of using ice for arthritis pain. Instead, heat seems to be a lot more efficacious. Heat encourages stretch, circulation, and healing more than cold. Heating the knee with a hot pad, heat lamps (don't burn yourself), or hot tub and then stretching is good to limber up the joint.

maydog said:
I am not a big fan of using ice for arthritis pain. Instead, heat seems to be a lot more efficacious. Heat encourages stretch, circulation, and healing more than cold. Heating the knee with a hot pad, heat lamps (don't burn yourself), or hot tub and then stretching is good to limber up the joint.
I agree that heat does feel better. But if the injured body part is swollen, then ice is need to bring the swelling down. I've always been a fan of heat. I was a bengay fan for years. But if swelling persist, you need ice and compression.

Ice does can make an injury feel better since cooling reduces nerve conduction. However, icing to reduce swelling and promote healing is more tradition than science. There is a growing body of evidence suggesting that icing actually delays healing.

Bengay is not heat, it stimulates nerve endings to make the skin feel hot which can interfere with pain sensations, but it does not increase the temperature or bring extra blood flow deep within the joint.

maydog said:
Ice does can make an injury feel better since cooling reduces nerve conduction. However, icing to reduce swelling and promote healing is more tradition than science. There is a growing body of evidence suggesting that icing actually delays healing.

Bengay is not heat, it stimulates nerve endings to make the skin feel hot which can interfere with pain sensations, but it does not increase the temperature or bring extra blood flow deep within the joint.
Ok, would a deep heating rub like bengay, with a heat compression wrap of some sort help with stimulation and blood flow? It does feel good to have a injured body part wrapped up.

I just started my gelding on one called Joint Essentials last week. It's a 5 in 1. It has glucosamie, MSM, collagen, and 2 others I can't remember right now lol. I paid $90 for the big container but it will last you probably 6 months so I don't think that's too bad. It's in pellet form and the pellets have alfalfa in them so he loves it. You could always get the 3 month supply that costs about $40 to try it. I can't really recommend it because it works or not recommend it because it doesn't just yet since I just started him on it but I can give you an update in a week or two if you would like. But I bought it because it has the 5 different supplements in it for both the actual joints and the tendons and ligaments.

I have a recommendation but it is a herb that grows wild. We have those herbs in our garden and for pains in joints, the recommendation is to crush the herb and place it in the affected joints with a bandage. The herb will calm the nerves and the pain will be gone overnight. But if it due to a torn ligament, I guess the pain will persist or recur because of that. Some basketball players here complain of joint pains when the weather is cold.

The jury is still definitely out on glucosamine. It is probably harmless and so there is not reason to not give it a go. But I would encourage using glucosamine from fish sources which is a by-product of normal fishing practices that wpuld otherwise go to waste. Glucosamine from antler is harvested by cutting the antler off while it is still supplied by nerves, often without analgesia and so painful for the deer or elk involved.

You'll want to both nourish the joints as well as reduce inflammation. Cod liver oil, coconut oil, olive oil, nuts, all your healthy fats are good ways to nourish joints. Turmeric is a natural anti inflammatory that you can take instead of OTCs. Reducing your sugar and refined carb intake, ideally basically eliminating them, will also make a big difference in reducing inflammation in your whole body.

Essential oils are great supplements for joints. There are blends like Youngliving's Aromaseal or DoTerra's deep blue. Some Youngliving oils are also food grade, so they can be taken in water as an internal supplement. They're also great to put in the bath. I also recommend magnesium sulfate, or Epsom salts for the bath. Magnesium increases elasticity (flexibility) of the body's tissues, and most people are deficient in magnesium.
Essential oils are great supplements for joints. There are blends like Youngliving's Aromaseal or DoTerra's deep blue. Some Youngliving oils are also food grade, so they can be taken in water as an internal supplement. They're also great to put in the bath. I also recommend magnesium sulfate, or Epsom salts for the bath. Magnesium increases elasticity (flexibility) of the body's tissues, and most people are deficient in magnesium.

I've used glucosamine chrondoitin before it has the supplement most backed up by research for joints but to tell you honestly I've didn't notice any drastic change really. However my joint pains back then were never really bad, just a slight pain on the knees. Now i regularly take turmeric or ginger in tea form and it's all gone

I'd suggest you to stop sugar and sugary and starchy foods. This would reduce inflammation and improves your condition. You should consult a physiotherapist who would put you through mobilization and prescribe specialized exercises that gradually bring you back to complete normalcy. I don't normally favor NSAIDs and look for natural means to heal orthopedic conditions.

Consuming lean meats and high-quality protein diet could quickly heal you up.

To strengthen Bones and Joints you need 1000mg of calcium and 600mg of Vitamin D per day. Vitamin D is crucial in your body's calcium abaorption, it works hand in hand with calcium to strengthen your joints and bones, you can take supplements for these.

Some good sources of these bone and joint strengthening vitamins and minerals in food are Canned Tuna in water, Fortified Cereals, Milk and other dairy products, Orange Juice, Sardines, Eggs, Salmon.

Taking supplements and eating good food must also be supported by a well rounded exercise routine.
As we say prevention is better than a cure.

A daily ingest of glucosamine with chondroitin will help you a lot. They help to keep your joints lubricated somehow, and that will avoid the pain because of the regular effort. Also, you can eat foods that contain Omega 3, or maybe take some pills with it, but Salmon and sardines are a great source of it. Gelatin (jello) or marshmallows are another source, they contain collagen, which is the material that make up cartilage on your joints, so eat plenty of them.