Best lubericant?

DT

Guest
Any opinions on wax lubricant? I started using it about a couple of months
ago. I do find with it that it tends to accumulate particularly on the
rear cassette and the little derailleur wheels.

---

On Sat, 04 Sep 2004 23:54:59 GMT, "DT" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Any opinions on wax lubricant? I started using it about a couple of months
>ago. I do find with it that it tends to accumulate particularly on the
>rear cassette and the little derailleur wheels.

Get the hairdrier out and heat gently .................

On Sat, 04 Sep 2004 23:54:59 GMT, DT <[email protected]> wrote:

> Any opinions on wax lubricant? I started using it about a couple of
> months
> ago. I do find with it that it tends to accumulate particularly on the
> rear cassette and the little derailleur wheels.
>

> ---

I think white lightning is the best thing since sliced bread...as some wag
posted last time the lube, not the cider. d-:
Everso easy to use, just blast a bit on every 250 miles or 100 if the
weather's really nasty or you're an offroad type. Then forget about it.
Never noticed it building up round the jockey wheels. I would be very
suprised if it did any harm, though.

--
|C|H|R|I|S|@|T|R|I|N|I|T|Y|W|I|L|L|S|.|C|O|M|
Remove the bars to contact me

Never thought of using a hairdryer. Good idea. Thanks.

news:[email protected]...

DT wrote:
> Any opinions on wax lubricant?

The price of the best wax lubes puts me off. One large bottle/can costs
the same as a new chain, but doesn't last as long. Hmmm, that makes
sense.

Castrol or Halfords Chain Wax (same thing) is much cheaper but is a bit
stickier. Still cleaner than oil, which is why I use it, despite the fact
it doesn't lubricate as well. I'm more inclined to keep my bike in good
nick generally if working on it is not unpleasant. That's my logic and
I'm sticking to it :)

> I started using it about a couple of
> months ago. I do find with it that it tends to accumulate
> particularly on the rear cassette and the little derailleur wheels.

It does, unfortunately. Just wipe it off, and wipe excess off chain in
the first place.

~PB

DT wrote:

> Any opinions on wax lubricant? I started using it about a couple of months
> ago. I do find with it that it tends to accumulate particularly on the
> rear cassette and the little derailleur wheels.

There is a delicious juxtaposition between the title of this thread and
the one following it (at least in my newsreader - your ISP may filter
out the porno spam!)

In message <4141edcc.0@entanet>, Zog The Undeniable
<[email protected]> writes
>DT wrote:
>
>> Any opinions on wax lubricant? I started using it about a couple of months
>> ago. I do find with it that it tends to accumulate particularly on the
>> rear cassette and the little derailleur wheels.

>There is a delicious juxtaposition between the title of this thread and
>the one following it (at least in my newsreader - your ISP may filter
>out the porno spam!)

Mine makes a point of never filtering out anything, but different
newsreaders put the threads in a different order. The one following is
"Cycling in Lincoln" which doesn't accumulate on your wheels as much as
chalk marl does, even if it's quite deep.

--
Sue ];:))

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 23:33:00 +0100, Sue <[email protected]> wrote
in message <[email protected]>:

>The one following is
>"Cycling in Lincoln" which doesn't accumulate on your wheels as much as
>chalk marl does, even if it's quite deep.

And definitely less than the mud in Dog Lane, Peppard, which I
unwisely rode along today :-/

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

In message <[email protected]>, "Just zis Guy,
you know?" <[email protected]> writes
>On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 23:33:00 +0100, Sue <[email protected]> wrote
>in message <[email protected]>:
>
>>The one following is
>>"Cycling in Lincoln" which doesn't accumulate on your wheels as much as
>>chalk marl does, even if it's quite deep.

>And definitely less than the mud in Dog Lane, Peppard, which I
>unwisely rode along today :-/

BWAHahahahaaaaaaa!

I once fell into Dog Lane - that is, I fell off the verge and into the
Atlantic Puddle. It was runny enough to swim in so at least my bike got
a wash.
When I got home everything got a wash including my shoes.

Dog Lane's generally shunned by all but the most foolhardy, except in
very dry weather when people hope the Puddles will dry up. The Pacific
Puddle never does. It used to have six inches of exceptionally gluey
mud in the bottom; I tried to ride through it, got stuck and had to walk
out. It was bulldozed flat when they built the permissive bridleway and
may need time to get back on form.

You can bypass it by ducking through the fence and onto the headland of
the golf course.

--
Sue ];:)) Squish, squelch