Best lubericant?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by DT, Sep 4, 2004.

  1. DT

    DT Guest

    Any opinions on wax lubricant? I started using it about a couple of months
    ago. I do find with it that it tends to accumulate particularly on the
    rear cassette and the little derailleur wheels.

    ---

  2. Jack Ouzzi

    Jack Ouzzi Guest

    On Sat, 04 Sep 2004 23:54:59 GMT, "DT" <dlt2GETRIDOFNO@SPAMrogers.com>
    wrote:

    >Any opinions on wax lubricant? I started using it about a couple of months
    >ago. I do find with it that it tends to accumulate particularly on the
    >rear cassette and the little derailleur wheels.

    Get the hairdrier out and heat gently .................

  3. Chris Davies

    Chris Davies Guest

    On Sat, 04 Sep 2004 23:54:59 GMT, DT <dlt2GETRIDOFNO@SPAMrogers.com> wrote:

    > Any opinions on wax lubricant? I started using it about a couple of
    > months
    > ago. I do find with it that it tends to accumulate particularly on the
    > rear cassette and the little derailleur wheels.
    >

    > ---

    I think white lightning is the best thing since sliced bread...as some wag
    posted last time the lube, not the cider. d-:
    Everso easy to use, just blast a bit on every 250 miles or 100 if the
    weather's really nasty or you're an offroad type. Then forget about it.
    Never noticed it building up round the jockey wheels. I would be very
    suprised if it did any harm, though.

    --
    |C|H|R|I|S|@|T|R|I|N|I|T|Y|W|I|L|L|S|.|C|O|M|
    Remove the bars to contact me

  4. DT

    DT Guest

    Never thought of using a hairdryer. Good idea. Thanks.

    "Jack Ouzzi" <nospam@nowayhose.co.au> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 04 Sep 2004 23:54:59 GMT, "DT" <dlt2GETRIDOFNO@SPAMrogers.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Any opinions on wax lubricant? I started using it about a couple of

    months
    > >ago. I do find with it that it tends to accumulate particularly on the
    > >rear cassette and the little derailleur wheels.
    > >

    > Get the hairdrier out and heat gently .................

    ---

  5. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    DT wrote:
    > Any opinions on wax lubricant?

    The price of the best wax lubes puts me off. One large bottle/can costs
    the same as a new chain, but doesn't last as long. Hmmm, that makes
    sense.

    Castrol or Halfords Chain Wax (same thing) is much cheaper but is a bit
    stickier. Still cleaner than oil, which is why I use it, despite the fact
    it doesn't lubricate as well. I'm more inclined to keep my bike in good
    nick generally if working on it is not unpleasant. That's my logic and
    I'm sticking to it :)

    > I started using it about a couple of
    > months ago. I do find with it that it tends to accumulate
    > particularly on the rear cassette and the little derailleur wheels.

    It does, unfortunately. Just wipe it off, and wipe excess off chain in
    the first place.

    ~PB

  6. DT wrote:

    > Any opinions on wax lubricant? I started using it about a couple of months
    > ago. I do find with it that it tends to accumulate particularly on the
    > rear cassette and the little derailleur wheels.

    There is a delicious juxtaposition between the title of this thread and
    the one following it (at least in my newsreader - your ISP may filter
    out the porno spam!)

  7. Sue

    Sue Guest

    In message <4141edcc.0@entanet>, Zog The Undeniable
    <hrothgar19@yahoo.com> writes
    >DT wrote:
    >
    >> Any opinions on wax lubricant? I started using it about a couple of months
    >> ago. I do find with it that it tends to accumulate particularly on the
    >> rear cassette and the little derailleur wheels.

    >There is a delicious juxtaposition between the title of this thread and
    >the one following it (at least in my newsreader - your ISP may filter
    >out the porno spam!)

    Mine makes a point of never filtering out anything, but different
    newsreaders put the threads in a different order. The one following is
    "Cycling in Lincoln" which doesn't accumulate on your wheels as much as
    chalk marl does, even if it's quite deep.

    --
    Sue ];:))

  8. On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 23:33:00 +0100, Sue <Sue@blackhole.invalid> wrote
    in message <qUMfd5KcuiQBFwap@mashtub.demon.co.uk>:

    >The one following is
    >"Cycling in Lincoln" which doesn't accumulate on your wheels as much as
    >chalk marl does, even if it's quite deep.

    And definitely less than the mud in Dog Lane, Peppard, which I
    unwisely rode along today :-/

    Guy
    http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

  9. Sue

    Sue Guest

    In message <e2l6k0hnfaamqq4gm4atpoullpjp44nht6@4ax.com>, "Just zis Guy,
    you know?" <outlook.bugs@microsoft.com> writes
    >On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 23:33:00 +0100, Sue <Sue@blackhole.invalid> wrote
    >in message <qUMfd5KcuiQBFwap@mashtub.demon.co.uk>:
    >
    >>The one following is
    >>"Cycling in Lincoln" which doesn't accumulate on your wheels as much as
    >>chalk marl does, even if it's quite deep.

    >And definitely less than the mud in Dog Lane, Peppard, which I
    >unwisely rode along today :-/

    BWAHahahahaaaaaaa!

    I once fell into Dog Lane - that is, I fell off the verge and into the
    Atlantic Puddle. It was runny enough to swim in so at least my bike got
    a wash.
    When I got home everything got a wash including my shoes.

    Dog Lane's generally shunned by all but the most foolhardy, except in
    very dry weather when people hope the Puddles will dry up. The Pacific
    Puddle never does. It used to have six inches of exceptionally gluey
    mud in the bottom; I tried to ride through it, got stuck and had to walk
    out. It was bulldozed flat when they built the permissive bridleway and
    may need time to get back on form.

    You can bypass it by ducking through the fence and onto the headland of
    the golf course.

    --
    Sue ];:)) Squish, squelch

Share This Page