Best time of day to go cycling

Gelsemium said:
Come on, if people are at work and kids are at school we are there too right? :) That's what happens with me and my kids, I can usually ride with them only at the weekends.
Well, I try not to work EVERY SINGLE DAY because that would drive me insane. Hopefully you quit that job building pyramids in Egypt. :D So, I was referring to those days we have off from work as an option to bike at said time.

That is lucky from you, having a flexible schedule. I would do the same too, enjoy the empty cities while people are at work and ride my bike on the empty roads, it would look like Sunday.

It depends on the climate in your area. Right now, it is freezing all day, so I tend to go out in the morning while the sun is out. If it is humid in your area (which is rare during the winter time), then I suggest going out at night. Make sure to wear your protective gear and reflective stickers however. Safety is key while riding in the dark.

That is why I feel so lucky, as I live in a country with a moderate climate I can pretty much ride all year long, except with heavy rains. In those cases I just have to wait for a sunnier time.

I personally love cycling early in the day, around 7 or 8 AM. Most of the roads are empty and the sun isn't too bright. I also love cycling during the night, mainly because I love how calm and peaceful it is.

I love that quiet feeling too, that is why I said I love the sunrise and the sunset. There is something magical about those atmospheres, especially if we are lucky enough to ride outside of the cities, in the nature.

OGRICHBOI said:
It depends on the climate in your area. Right now, it is freezing all day, so I tend to go out in the morning while the sun is out. If it is humid in your area (which is rare during the winter time), then I suggest going out at night. Make sure to wear your protective gear and reflective stickers however. Safety is key while riding in the dark.
Good argument but I love night riding too much to give it up. Even when it's so cold the wind is burning your eyeballs. Always have, alwys will. Also right about the protection thing. I try to wear reflectors aplenty.

When I was a student school started at 8AM, so I needed to leave home at 7:30 more or less for a 10 mile ride and it was really cold, near 5ºC, even so I loved it and felt alive.

3-4 am - dead quiet, no traffic or extremely minimal, no people around, a great sense of solitude and freedom - and there are still enough 24 hour gas stations and convenience stores open to stop and get a Monster or Red Bull.

Lights, of course, are the key to that one. Bright and a lot of them - I have 2 Phillips lights and keep 2 more charged in my pack for long rides when the first discharge. Awesome lights.

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-SafeRide-Silver-Battery-Driven/dp/B00620Z97G

haha, 4 am, seriously? Usually at that time I am asleep, but I agree that there is almost no traffic, but the risk of running into a drunk driver is there.

For the Beginners, I can say that a 30 minutes or an hour is enough. If you have done more than 2 hours you might experience a muscle pain or even back pain, especially if you're not doing a warm-up exercise. The best time for me is during the morning, instead of doing a jogging, I prefer to do a cycling.

I like riding my bike during all conditions, as long as they are not extreme. Going on a trip during pouring rain, a thunderstorm, or other climactic challenges, obviously isn't the best idea. Another big factor for me is the heat. In the last 20 years I have mostly lived in hot, humid, tropical environs, so dehydration and heat exhaustion are always on my mind. My favorite time to go riding around the countryside is during cool and slightly windy days. If that's not possible, I keep my trips short and ride either during the early morning hours until midday, or later in the afternoon before sunset.

lol, a really descriptive way of what cycling is like under the different atmospheric situations? :D

My favorite time of day to cycle is in the early morning. I normally leave just before the sun comes up. I love the quiet of the early morning, and it is really peaceful to ride without all of the traffic in my area. I find that an early morning ride helps the rest of my day run more smoothly by relaxing me and giving me a sense of inner peace. After my ride I hop in the shower, eat a quick breakfast and head off to my busy day at work.

Whenever you have the time to go cycling and whenever it isn't raining or snowing. Worst thing ever is to go biking in the pouring rain.

That's a good perspective too ZXD22, whenever we have a break we should take advantage of it because we are usually so busy that anytime is good. :)

blur92 said:
You forgot about snowing! I don't know whether your answer was meant to be humourous, but I got a chuckle out of it.

I would have to say early morning. It is calm, peaceful, and not too hot out. I would list night too, but that can be potentially dangerous since drivers cannot see you as well.
Funny, I could actual relate to the posters mention of riding whenever it stopped raining. Down here in Florida, there are some months when it rains everyday. So, truth be told, some days I do plan my bike ride around the rain. Of course, that does not always work and I find myself taking cover and waiting it out. My personal favorite time is at either sunrise or sunset. I think it is just so beautiful and not too hot. I am lucky for the abundance of bike trails around me. I do not have to worry about traffic. When I am up in Michigan, I take to the country back roads for an afternoon break. In Virginia I like to go downtown Richmond, down my the James River Trails on week-end mornings. I love the historical sites down there. For me, it is all about taking in the scenery.

Performance wise the morning is best for humans, but that isn't always convenient, most of my cycling is in the evening. So whatever is convenient for you is the best time.

First thing in the morning for me. It's when I feel my best and the most energetic. Granted, I don't have as much time to play around, but its still the last thing I do before my shower.