Better Understanding Of Tss Balance

skinnyrider891

Mar 3, 2014
I have been training with power for a few years now using both Trainingpeaks and GC. I'm coming back from 6weeks off the bike from illness and have recently split with my coach so was hoping I could get a better understanding of the balance that I'm looking for.

At the moment I have got my CTL up to around 80, with my ATL being in the 110 range with my TSB at -35. My CTL is way short of what I had before I was sick when I had around 110-120 CTL with very negative TSB even hitting -60 at the end of a training camp but I was still able to ride comfortably doing my base period and strength workouts.

However now with my TSB being at -35 I am fully shattered even though my TSS for rides has dropped appropriately to roughly 100-200TSS rides mostly steady to try and get the body use to riding again and a few good hard Cat1 races.

Today however I planned to do the 6x6mins zone5 intervals with 6min rest. For the life of me I couldn't manage more than one interval despite 2 more attempts lasting only 2mins each I couldn't get out of Zone4. I had a real tough race on Sunday spending 72mile in a break and doing 240TSS for 3hrs so as usual had a real easy spin yesterday zone1 or less all day for 40mins. Now I am on to my 4th week in this training block as I have a tough stage race next week and will be resting for it compared to my normal 3weeks on 1week recovery.

I was hoping if someone could help me with an answer to some questions based of this:
1) What TSB is recommended for preforming intense intervals effectively
2) Would todays poor legs be due to the low TSB/ hard race/ both?
3) Would you recommend trying again tomorrow or taking a rest week?

Sounds to me like you're not recovered from your illness.

Also, I've never come close to the numbers you're claiming - are you sure that your FTP is dialed in?

WRT #1: If your FTP is correct, I believe that AC recommends keeping TSB between +/- 10 (I'll stand to be corrected). I'm guessing that keeping TSB within this range helps ensure an appropriate RR.

Reactions: kylerlittle
dkrenik said:
Sounds to me like you're not recovered from your illness.

Also, I've never come close to the numbers you're claiming - are you sure that your FTP is dialed in?

WRT #1: If your FTP is correct, I believe that AC recommends keeping TSB between +/- 10 (I'll stand to be corrected). I'm guessing that keeping TSB within this range helps ensure an appropriate RR.
Very informative. I'm learning a lot on this forums.

skinnyrider891 said:
I have been training with power for a few years now using both Trainingpeaks and GC. I'm coming back from 6weeks off the bike from illness and have recently split with my coach so was hoping I could get a better understanding of the balance that I'm looking for.

At the moment I have got my CTL up to around 80, with my ATL being in the 110 range with my TSB at -35. My CTL is way short of what I had before I was sick when I had around 110-120 CTL with very negative TSB even hitting -60 at the end of a training camp but I was still able to ride comfortably doing my base period and strength workouts.

However now with my TSB being at -35 I am fully shattered even though my TSS for rides has dropped appropriately to roughly 100-200TSS rides mostly steady to try and get the body use to riding again and a few good hard Cat1 races.

Today however I planned to do the 6x6mins zone5 intervals with 6min rest. For the life of me I couldn't manage more than one interval despite 2 more attempts lasting only 2mins each I couldn't get out of Zone4. I had a real tough race on Sunday spending 72mile in a break and doing 240TSS for 3hrs so as usual had a real easy spin yesterday zone1 or less all day for 40mins. Now I am on to my 4th week in this training block as I have a tough stage race next week and will be resting for it compared to my normal 3weeks on 1week recovery.

I was hoping if someone could help me with an answer to some questions based of this:
Retest your FTP.

Check your powermeter calibration or if you have a PowerTap, do a stomp test.

I suspect one or the other is "off."

Any chance you could get back with your coach?

skinnyrider891 said:

CLB, TSB, and TSS mean nothing. Your riding ability means everything.

The best training for racing for 3 hours is riding hard for 3 hours. If you are not comfortable doing 3 hours hard, both racing and recovery is going to be difficult.

If you have a race in 1 week, you should stay home. You are not going to get better by then.

I am not your coach, but you seem to be expecting too much.

An old Guy said:
CLB, TSB, and TSS mean nothing. Your riding ability means everything.

The best training for racing for 3 hours is riding hard for 3 hours. If you are not comfortable doing 3 hours hard, both racing and recovery is going to be difficult.

If you have a race in 1 week, you should stay home. You are not going to get better by then.

I am not your coach, but you seem to be expecting too much.
Hey AOG, welcome back! Where have you been? What other forums have you been frequenting? I'd like to see your work on other subjects

flapsupcleanup said:
Hey AOG, welcome back! Where have you been? What other forums have you been frequenting? I'd like to see your work on other subjects
Vacation. Southern Utah, California, Arizona. Next vacation is in less than 2 weeks. Colorado, Northern Utah, Idaho, Wyoming.

I post on some economics sites. (Economics is game theory not science.) The economy has been great for the middle class (75-200% of median income). Since '87 the middle class has been reduced from 45% of the families to 37%, the reduction has been from people moving into the realm of the rich. Not so good for the poor. They lack the resources to make much of a move up.