Big wheels rule the un-faired class at Cherry Pie (or Bacchetta rules)

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by John, Feb 9, 2004.

  1. John

    John Guest

    Five Bacchetta, one Volea, two or three big wheel home built clones duked it out in the un-faiered
    with a couple of low racers.

    Eleven total riders in the un-faired class and about twenty two riders in all competeed in the
    Cherry Pie Sunday.

    John Schlitter and Zach took first and second pies home. Interesting that the stream liners were not
    able to lap one of the un faired class but they got everyone else.

    John Schlitter

    Tags:

  2. bikebob

    bikebob New Member

    Joined:
    Dec 3, 2003
    Hi John,
    I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure you ALL you guys were lapped buy Steve in the "Super 7".
    bob

  3. Dogboy

    Dogboy Guest

    Both Steve and I lapped everybody out there except the guy riding for Gardener on the Gold Rush
    w/sock. I thought it was "interesting" that the unfaireds, including Bacchttas, couldn't climb the
    hill any faster than the streamliners!

  4. sardeancan@earthlink.net (dogboy) wrote in message news:<2f9ce771.0402092249.21144a90@posting.google.com>...
    > Both Steve and I lapped everybody out there except the guy riding for Gardener on the Gold Rush
    > w/sock. I thought it was "interesting" that the unfaireds, including Bacchttas, couldn't climb the
    > hill any faster than the streamliners!

    If the hill were longer or steeper the Bacchettas would be climbing faster than the streamliners.
    Remember you were able to get more of a running start for the hill due to higher level ground speed.
    That was a pretty flat course by the standards of the roads I usually ride. According to my Polar
    S720i there was only 150 metres (492 feet) of climbing in 20.18 km (12.5 miles). Typical club rides
    around here would have more than twice as much climbing for the same distance and steeper climbs.

    Zach Kaplan

  5. Rcpinto

    Rcpinto Guest

    >Hi John, I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure you ALL you guys were lapped buy Steve in the
    >"Super 7". bob

    Hi Bob...nope, Steve did not lap John, who saw the three fully faired vehicles make the final
    turn into the last hill.

    John did pretty well (in the TOTALLY unfaired class) considering he has not ridden a real bike
    on the road since Interbike, over 4 months ago (it's a Kansas in winter thing :<)) unlike many
    of the Cal boys.

    Rich

  6. John

    John Guest

    Sorry guys, you passed me once after the start. If you did not get the hired gun in the ti GR body
    sock you did not get me either.

    I did out climb the stream liners when I was with them on the hill.

    John

    sardeancan@earthlink.net (dogboy) wrote in message
    > Both Steve and I lapped everybody out there except the guy riding for Gardener on the Gold Rush
    > w/sock. I thought it was "interesting" that the unfaireds, including Bacchttas, couldn't climb the
    > hill any faster than the streamliners!

  7. Derek

    Derek Guest

    Probably the DF racers don't have to debate with each other as to if they were lapped or not. That
    is the beauty of the Cherry Pie event. Everybody gets thrown together into the mix and even the
    slower folks enjoy being a part of it.

    It is also great riding on the same track with people who have a passion for recumbents and have
    manufactured or built thier own bikes. Thats walking your talk, in my book. Bravo to guys like Steve
    and John. As to hired guns, it's fair for Cherry Pie but pointless. Unlikely to sell more
    recumbents. Look what happened to the now defunct Yellowbike company.

    Rob English probably did the fastest race at Cherry Pie I have ever witnessed; over a 26 mph
    average speed. He did not break a sweat and at least double lapped everyone else. He would say
    chirpily as he would wiz by " two more laps to go, Derek!". He could see I was suffering. We were
    both riding Barons.

    There was no aerodynamic gimmick on earth that would have helped me be competitive, only a reduction
    of 30 years in age and a DNA infusion.

    Regards, Derek

  8. On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 16:53:02 GMT, "Derek" <derek@sonic.net> wrote:

    >Probably the DF racers don't have to debate with each other as to if they were lapped or not. That
    >is the beauty of the Cherry Pie event. Everybody gets thrown together into the mix and even the
    >slower folks enjoy being a part of it.

    Guess again. Get a break away with a follow group in front of the main pack, with a trailing group
    off the back on a short course and a promoter's promise that no one gets pulled unless absolutely
    (i.e. safety based) necessary, and you can have arguments up the whazzoo.

    Womens groups and Masters, when there aren't many subcategories, are a good place for lapping
    arguments.

    Curtis L. Russell Odenton, MD (USA) Just someone on two wheels...

  9. Harv

    Harv Guest

    "If we had some bacon, we could have bacon and eggs if we had some eggs"
    Richard Reinhart (R.I.P.), professor of industrial design, University of the
    Arts, circa 1963.
    "Zach Kaplan Cycles" <zakaplan@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
    > sardeancan@earthlink.net (dogboy) wrote in message
    > > Both Steve and I lapped everybody out there except the guy riding for Gardener on the Gold Rush
    > > w/sock. I thought it was "interesting" that the unfaireds, including Bacchttas, couldn't climb
    > > the hill any faster than the streamliners!
    >
    > If the hill were longer or steeper the Bacchettas would be climbing faster than the streamliners.
    > Remember you were able to get more of a running start for the hill due to higher level ground
    > speed. That was a pretty flat course by the standards of the roads I usually ride. According to my
    > Polar S720i there was only 150 metres (492 feet) of climbing in 20.18 km (12.5 miles). Typical
    > club rides around here would have more than twice as much climbing for the same distance and
    > steeper climbs.
    >
    > Zach Kaplan

  10. The year I averaged 30 mph and lapped the field several times the other riders got awfully pissy. I
    now keep an eye on the field and make certain to win by just enough to make it look fair. Better for
    the friendships.

    This is now 7 wins for 9 times the race has run or 77% win ratio. Sorry guys, this was just a walk
    in the park. Speedy

    Newsgroup Service in the World! -----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =-----

  11. S. Delaire "Rotatorrecumbent" wrote:

    > The year I averaged 30 mph and lapped the field several times the other riders got awfully pissy.
    <clip>
    > Sorry guys, this was just a walk in the park.

    So, when *are* you gonna start selling clones of your current bike? ;-)

  12. <Chas>

    <Chas> Guest

    "No More SPAM!" <no@sp.am> wrote in message
    > S. Delaire "Rotatorrecumbent" wrote:
    >
    > > The year I averaged 30 mph and lapped the field several times the other
    riders got awfully pissy.
    > <clip>
    > > Sorry guys, this was just a walk in the park.
    >

    > So, when *are* you gonna start selling clones of your current bike? ;-)

    It ain't about Steve's bike. It's about Steve's 20+ years of racing recumbent bikes.

    <Chas

  13. John

    John Guest

    Steve, I meant no disrespect for you and after the race you said it was a just a walk in the park.
    I'm a firm beleiver that an unfair rider does not have a chance of beating a streamliner with a good
    rider or unless you were there the year Rob English showed up? If you were did Rob really beat you?

    One of my goals at this race was not to get lapped. This time you let that happen and I'm sure the
    next time your in a streamliner and I an unfaired bike you will not let that happen.

    What your doing with a streamliner in that type of race is just getting it closer to the day that
    there is more streetable streamliners out there on the road. It will take some time but what you
    guys are doing shows that it can happen.

    Now if you want to race unfaired bikes,,,,,,,,,......... let's see if it is a walk in the park.

    John

    "S. Delaire \"Rotatorrecumbent\"" <rotator@neteze.com> wrote in message
    > The year I averaged 30 mph and lapped the field several times the other riders got awfully pissy.
    > I now keep an eye on the field and make certain to win by just enough to make it look fair. Better
    > for the friendships.
    >
    > This is now 7 wins for 9 times the race has run or 77% win ratio. Sorry guys, this was just a walk
    > in the park. Speedy
    >

    > John wrote:
    >
    > > Sorry guys, you passed me once after the start. If you did not get the hired gun in the ti GR
    > > body sock you did not get me either.
    > >
    > > I did out climb the stream liners when I was with them on the hill.
    > >
    > > John
    > >
    > > sardeancan@earthlink.net (dogboy) wrote in message
    > > > Both Steve and I lapped everybody out there except the guy riding for Gardener on the Gold
    > > > Rush w/sock. I thought it was "interesting" that the unfaireds, including Bacchttas, couldn't
    > > > climb the hill any faster than the streamliners!

    > Newsgroup Service in the World! -----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =-----

  14. Dogboy

    Dogboy Guest

    > I did out climb the stream liners when I was with them on the hill.

    You're right,...I can totally understand why you would want to brag about not being lapped by a 50
    lb. bike ridden by a 50 year old man who doesn't train!

  15. John

    John Guest

    Dog boy, 50 vs 47, hard shell vs unfaired. A winter in KS of snow and ice or living in Ca where you
    can ride everyday.

    I'm going to let the racer come out in me and say let's go for a ride with you and me out of your
    shell or me in a shell and see what happens then the bragging can be on a level field.

    John

    > > I did out climb the stream liners when I was with them on the hill.
    >
    > You're right,...I can totally understand why you would want to brag about not being lapped by a
    > 50 lb. bike ridden by a 50 year old man who doesn't train!

  16. John No disrespect is taken. And I didn't mean to be either. Checked the speedo from the race bike
    this morning. Not to happy about the results. It does include the time pushing back to the trailer
    and into the shop: distance 13.88 miles average 22.5 max. 106.9 ( the computer is dreaming! ) time
    37.06 average HR 139 If this true, then the last 2 years with my Pursuit was 3 mph faster. (same
    speedo for last 3 years)

    What was your #s?

    Every now and then I do run an unfaired, with decent results. Really like the power of a good
    streamliner more.

    Hope to see you next year. Speedy

  17. "No More SPAM!" wrote:

    > S. Delaire "Rotatorrecumbent" wrote:
    >
    > > The year I averaged 30 mph and lapped the field several times the other riders got awfully
    > > pissy.
    > <clip>
    > > Sorry guys, this was just a walk in the park.
    >
    > So, when *are* you gonna start selling clones of your current bike? ;-)

    There has been 9 Super 7's built. I still have the body molds. Coroplast Pursuit is a great running
    hot rod too. Lot less money then a 7. Speedy

    Newsgroup Service in the World! -----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =-----

  18. Harv

    Harv Guest

    Super 7? Another guy with Lotus Lust? Do yours come in John Deere green?

    > "No More SPAM!" wrote:
    >
    > > S. Delaire "Rotatorrecumbent" wrote:
    > >
    > > > The year I averaged 30 mph and lapped the field several times the
    other riders got awfully pissy.
    > > <clip>
    > > > Sorry guys, this was just a walk in the park.
    > >
    > > So, when *are* you gonna start selling clones of your current bike?
    ;-)

  19. S. Delaire "Rotatorrecumbent" wrote:

    > There has been 9 Super 7's built. I still have the body molds.

    Just out of curiosity, is it still for sale? Your "used bikes" page hasn't been updated in eons! :)

    > Coroplast Pursuit is a great running hot rod too.

    That's the one you've been racing on, right? I think that's the one that would sell well if you were
    ever to offer as an option.

  20. Steve,

    I suspect your numbers include the walk/ride back to your car, it's amazing how quickly the average
    speed "melts away" when you start walking the bike...Congratulations on your win! I'm curious if
    Dean has accurate computer numbers. How close did you guys finish?

    Peter Borenstadt

    > John No disrespect is taken. And I didn't mean to be either. Checked the speedo from the race bike
    > this morning. Not to happy about the results. It does include the time pushing back to the trailer
    > and into the shop: distance 13.88 miles average 22.5 max. 106.9 ( the computer is dreaming! ) time
    > 37.06 average HR 139 If this true, then the last 2 years with my Pursuit was 3 mph faster. (same
    > speedo for last 3 years)
    >
    > What was your #s?
    >
    > Every now and then I do run an unfaired, with decent results. Really like the power of a good
    > streamliner more.
    >
    > Hope to see you next year. Speedy
    >

    > John wrote:
    >
    > > Steve, I meant no disrespect for you and after the race you said it was a just a walk in the
    > > park. I'm a firm beleiver that an unfair rider does not have a chance of beating a streamliner
    > > with a good rider or unless you were there the year Rob English showed up? If you were did Rob
    > > really beat you?
    > >
    > > One of my goals at this race was not to get lapped. This time you let that happen and I'm sure
    > > the next time your in a streamliner and I an unfaired bike you will not let that happen.
    > >
    > > What your doing with a streamliner in that type of race is just getting it closer to the day
    > > that there is more streetable streamliners out there on the road. It will take some time but
    > > what you guys are doing shows that it can happen.
    > >
    > > Now if you want to race unfaired bikes,,,,,,,,,......... let's see if it is a walk in the park.
    > >
    > > John
    > >
    > > "S. Delaire \"Rotatorrecumbent\"" <rotator@neteze.com> wrote in message
    > > > The year I averaged 30 mph and lapped the field several times the other riders got awfully
    > > > pissy. I now keep an eye on the field and make certain to win by just enough to make it look
    > > > fair. Better for the friendships.
    > > >
    > > > This is now 7 wins for 9 times the race has run or 77% win ratio. Sorry guys, this was just a
    > > > walk in the park. Speedy

    > > > #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! -----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =-----

    > Newsgroup Service in the World! -----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =-----

Share This Page