Bike Lanes

Gelsemium

Feb 17, 2015
In my country (Portugal) a huge investment has been made in bike lanes and now that my kids are using them a lot, I do feel happy for it because we can get virtually everywhere in them. For me it's not that important because I use the road, but for a beginner I think it makes a big difference. What's your opinion?

Lei_ciclovias_sorocaba.jpg

For new cyclers, this is a huge improvement. While growing up, I did not have the luxury of having these in my area. However, this would have helped immensely when I was first learning how to ride on the road. I like what Portugal is doing, and hopefully the United States can learn from this.

Aren't there many bike lanes in the US? I guess that has to depend a lot on the region. Lisbon (the capital) has a lot of bike lanes, but many other regions still don't.

The bike lanes in my opinion are invaluable due to the safety they provide, however we choose to look at it, road cycling is dangerous, of course more-so for youngsters. Let's not forget that bike-lanes are there to be used, so even though you may not want to hear it, even if you prefer road cycling, use the bike lanes where possible, roads are foremost for the cars.

I don't agree with that Brock, but it really depends on the roads. Some roads are really really busy and they end up being dangerous, but bike lanes don't go everywhere, so using the road is a necessity many times.

Very big on the biking terms especially for newer and younger bike riders. I know some maybe feel in easy riding on the road with cars driving right past you and these biking lanes of will bring an alternative to biking routes keeping those uneasy riders. Comfortable and ultimately safer in the process. I do believe it is very vital.

For kids it's super important because they gain confidence riding there. I already use the roads with my older kid, but with the younger I cannot, so the bike lanes really help.

Wow that looks cool. Glad to see a country taking initiative for cyclist safety. You got lane dividers and everything.

I think it's great. I don't like when bicyclists are on the streets. Lanes will keep them safer.

Wow, I wish our country have those bike lanes. I think bike lanes can be very beneficial for beginners like you said. It's essentially safer because they are away from the cars and other vehicles. Plus, it is easier to navigate within it because they won't be caught by traffic. I wish more countries will include bike lanes in their roads. It would help to lessen accidents and other incidents regarding bikes.

Here in the UK the government seem to have gone bike lane crazy this last couple of years, and as a cyclist I have mixed opinions as some of the layouts of them, especially in the major cities leave a lot to be desired.

In general, of course they're a good thing, but when they are being drawn up, please let a cyclist have some input as to how they are marked out

Those lanes look really well laid out and very roomy :) I agree with you, especially when you're first starting out it can be really intimidating to ride with traffic on the street, so having somewhere safe is a great idea. It looks like it would be good for kids and families as well.

I stick to bike paths like this wherever possible, but unfortunately most places either have no bike lanes at all, or very narrow, unreliable ones along the side of the road. I'm sure if there were better infrastructure that encouraged walking and cycling we would see less people commuting by car. Unfortunately in some communities it's just not easy to do safely.

In the major cities there's a big push to get people out of the cars and in to other forms of transportation. Public transport isn't reliable in my experience so commuting by bike is the best option for me, and a lot of others.

The safety aspect is still a concern, but that's more because of the other road users rather than the actual layout of the roads.

Your Government did great for investing in such projects. It will somehow promote biking as an alternative means of transportation, and definitely will lessen the carbon emission.

Aren't there many bike lanes in the US? I guess that has to depend a lot on the region. Lisbon (the capital) has a lot of bike lanes, but many other regions still don't.

I think they are considering the volume of bikers present in a region before constructing a bike line. It would be bad if you see a lot of bike lanes, but no one is using it.

Bike lanes really help not only in making the roads safer but also in promoting cycling itself, as it's quite inspirational seeing a lot of riders in their own lanes with their different colors on the road.

Sad to say, in our country, it's still not priority. having Bike lane will help a lot to all bikers to be safe while traveling in the public highway. A lot of bikers in our country wish that it become priority of our government to avoid some accident. Bike lane will also help somehow to avoid the heavy traffic.

Sad thing is, bike lanes should be safe but the riders in the image are traveling on both sides making it dangerous for others. Had a friend seriously injured when he encountered a couple of young teens occupying both sides of the trail. Poor instructor and teacher.

Hey there! I understand your concerns about bike lane safety and the potential dangers of riders traveling on both sides. It's definitely unfortunate to hear about your friend's serious injury caused by a similar incident with young teens. The presence of such riders can indeed create hazardous situations for others on the trail.

From a tech-savvy perspective, it might be worth exploring innovative solutions to alleviate this issue. For instance, bike lane monitoring systems that utilize sensors to detect when riders deviate from their designated side could help raise awareness and prevent such incidents. Additionally, improved education and awareness campaigns could be implemented to teach riders about the importance of staying within their designated bike lane.

It's essential to emphasize the role of instructors and teachers in providing proper guidance and education to young riders. By equipping them with the knowledge and skills needed to use bike lanes responsibly, we can create a safer environment for everyone.

However, it's important to approach this issue constructively and avoid generalizing the behavior of all riders based on one incident. Engaging in blame and aggression will not contribute to a productive conversation. Let's focus on finding solutions that enhance bike lane safety and promote a positive cycling experience for all. Ride safe and stay connected to the latest bike tech trends!