Bike Maps from Philly to NYC

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.rides archive' started by John Boyle, May 29, 2003.

  1. John Boyle

    John Boyle Guest

    Here are some Bike Maps that cover some of the ground between Philadelphia and New York. The
    sections I refer to in this email are the sliced sections of the online maps. All of these maps can
    be accessed from the Transportation Alternatives map page http://www.transalt.org/info/maps.html
    ---------------------------
    1 - Greater Philadelphia Regional Bike Map http://www.bicyclecoalition.org/map/index.html
    --------------------------
    2 - Somerset County Bike Map http://www.transalt.org/info/mapsomerset.html
    2a. Section A8 of the Philadelphia Map is about 2 miles SW of Section D1 of the Somerset County Map
    2b. Sections A4 and B4 are less than 30 miles from Manhattan
    ----------------------------

    borders the eastern edge of the Somerset County Map.

    2c. From Sections A2 or A3 bike north to Elizabeth and cross on the Goethels Bridge
    2d. From Section B3 Take the NY Fast Ferry from South Amboy to Pier 11 in Manhattan (Monday to
    Saturday) My Pick
    2e. Travel East on the 10 mile Henry Hudson Bike Path and take the Ferry from Atlantic Highlands the
    path is just east of section B3 over the Monmouth County Line near Raritan Bay at Aberdeen.

    ------------------------
    3. The New York City Bike Map is available online at http://www.transalt.org/info/maps.html

    John Boyle

    Tags:

  2. Peter Storey

    Peter Storey Guest

    bikemap@hotmail.com (John Boyle) wrote in message
    > Here are some Bike Maps that cover some of the ground between Philadelphia and New York. The
    > sections I refer to in this email are the sliced sections of the online maps. All of these maps
    > can be accessed from the Transportation Alternatives map page
    > http://www.transalt.org/info/maps.html
    > ---------------------------

    > <SNIP>

    > borders the eastern edge of the Somerset County Map.
    >

    > 3a. From Sections A2 or A3 bike north to Elizabeth and cross on the Goethels Bridge

    Great resources! Be careful about the Goethals Bridge, however. The bike path was closed some years
    ago. Although it is supposed to reopen someday, I believe that day is still a ways off.

    By all means correct me if I have that wrong.

    Peter Storey

  3. In <579a96ee.0306021442.5bc737da@posting.google.com> peterstorey@mindspring.com (Peter
    Storey) writes:

    >Great resources! Be careful about the Goethals Bridge, however. The bike path was closed some years
    >ago. Although it is supposed to reopen someday, I believe that day is still a ways off.

    >By all means correct me if I have that wrong.

    AFAIK you are correct and the Goethals bridge bike path has not been usable in some time. The
    timeline that the Port Authority would like to follow for repairing the bike/ped path on that bridge
    would likely be concurrent with the construction of the new "twin" Goethals bridge in say - 2008.
    --

    Danny Lieberman dfl@panix.com

Share This Page