Bike Upkeep Help

May 9, 2015
I bought a new bike (2015 Kona Dew Deluxe) recently. There is usually rain where I live. I just want to know ways to keep it fully functional as long as possible and its best you are a full-time cyclist.

Take it into a dry place after riding in the rain. Wipe it down, dry it off, and you don't have to be too fastidious about this. Then lightly lube the chain with your favorite substance (there's a current discussion on chain lubes in one of these groups), and wipe off the excess. And give the bike a bath when it gets especially grimy--bucket of soapy water or bottle of household spray cleaner, rinse, dry, and lube chain. Don't shoot water under pressure into bearings, but don't worry about dripping. Just wipe dry when you're done.

Dirt that stays on the bike works its way into moving parts and causes them to wear out and break sooner. It's better to wash old dirt off and get dirty all over again than to let old dirt fester.

If you can store it indoors that would could save you some maintenance costs. Water isn't really a problem, I'd be more concerned about dirt that could stick to the bike. I'd recommend inspecting the bike every now and then.

Do not keep it outside since it will rust hence affecting the gears and bearings. Keep a regular eye on the tyres to make sure they do not burst on the way. Make sure the cables will never be exposed and all fittings tightly held. All moving parts including the chain should be lubricated regularly using the required lubricant. You should wash it and keep it dry away from any dirt.

Ever heard of the expression ridden hard and put away wet?
Well there is truth to this. Clean your machine after you ride it.
Easy clean rides it won't require more than a wipe. Hard rides will need a little more elbow grease.
You know when you don't do the dishes right after dinner, then you regret it since your meal is now stuck and 10 times harder to get off.
Same principal. Except now it's a $1000 machine and not a $5 plate.