Bikenapping

Corzhens

May 26, 2015
It used to be carnapping that was followed by motobikenapping and now it's bikenapping. Some enterprising thieves are wreaking havoc in the suburbs by stealing the bikes in the parking rack. I said suburbs because they couldn't do it in the city with the prevalence of cctv cameras. In the suburban mall, for instance, there is just one guard who is not even attentive. The thieves use a bolt cutter which makes the chain lock defenseless. As per the evening news, there were several complaints on losing their bikes to thieves in broad daylight. This is a discouragement to bikers.

That is just so sad. Considering that bicycles are very easy to lift and carry. It is sad that many people are resorting to this kind of injustice. I think these people are just so drowned in poverty that they resort to this actions. But that doesn't justify their deeds. In a metropolitan area, securing your bike is one of the challenges. I have watched a Youtube video giving an advice that to better secure your bike, one can lock the body of the bike then take one of the wheels in the office.

This is unfortunate as difficult times force people to rob bicycles. It is discouraging, yes, but as you mentioned it only occurs in the suburbs and when there's inadequate security, so the bikers should be more vigilant and only leaver their bikes in safe and trusted areas.

That's why in my country, if you own an expensive bike don't ever let it out of your site. I've witnessed an incident last year while I was in a
7-11 store, 2 cyclists with helmets on went inside the store and bought some energy drinks, when they suddenly ran outside, and I saw two guys on bikes, cycling fast away from the store and the two cyclist run and chased them. People with scooters helped them and caught 1 of the bike nappers but the other one escaped along with the bike. A good MTB could be easily sold to small bikeshops or in the underground black market for $100-$200 here.

There're a lot of incidence of "bikenapping" in the street where I live. almost one bike a week. The barrangay captain installed some CCTV just to know who's responsible for that crime. but it was useless. The CCTV they installed is looks like an old camera phone and not even in the night vision mode.

We should suggest a bigger fine for Bikenapping so it would be lessen this kind of incident. Crooks do this kind of activity because it is an easy target.
They can easily sell it underground for a good price.As this incident increases all riders should be aware at all times. Discipline is a good exercise to prevent this kind of activity.Knowledge and information should always be the priority of all riders to prevent this act. Remember prevention is better than cure.PEACE!

I have such a strong disdain for thieves. I know that most of them wouldn't be stealing if life hadn't forced them into that position, but it doesn't change the fact that they're scum with no respect for people's property.

Back when I lived in New York City, I had three bikes stolen from me. Two were ones I had chained up outside of my school. The school didn't allow me to chain them up against their fence, so I had to do it on a nearby street, which left my bikes open and vulnerable for hours. Prime target for thieves.

Another time I was in a hurry to get to a party, and had dropped by a grocery store. Not having enough time, I simply propped the bike up against the store entrance thinking no one would have the gall to take the bike then and there.

Nope. In the thirty seconds it took me to buy beer in the store, someone swiped my bike. Ridiculous.

What are the countermeasures for these thieves? I thought it was already safe to have chain locks. Do we just never leave it out of our supervision or just pray that it is still there when we get back leaving it in the parking lot?