bikes for small women with back problems

brennab

Oct 7, 2005
I'm toying with the idea of getting a new custom frame or possibly a new bike. I'm very short (4' 11 1/2") and my current frame is 47 cm. I have a bulging disc in my back as well as having my lowest disc fused to my sacrum, which causes me pain when I ride. Any recommendations would gladly be welcomed regarding bikes for short women with back problems. Since I've signed up for IM Canada (first IM), I'd like to be as comfortable as possible on the bike (and I can't afford titanium). Thanks!

Brenna

brennab said:
I'm toying with the idea of getting a new custom frame or possibly a new bike. I'm very short (4' 11 1/2") and my current frame is 47 cm. I have a bulging disc in my back as well as having my lowest disc fused to my sacrum, which causes me pain when I ride. Any recommendations would gladly be welcomed regarding bikes for short women with back problems. Since I've signed up for IM Canada (first IM), I'd like to be as comfortable as possible on the bike (and I can't afford titanium). Thanks!

Brenna
Do it right and get one with 650 wheels. otherwise you will end up with a small frame and and long toptube or severely compromised geometry or both. You may be better served by a good custom builder. Check www.lunacycles.com You may not end up doing business with her, but Margo is well regarded and her take on women and small bike is worth reading.

brennab said:

Brenna
In addition to Luna, you may also consider looking at Terry bicycles, http://www.terrybicycles.com/ or Rodriguez cycles. In addition to being a custom builder, they make a frame called the Stellar that is designed to allow a more upright riding position for women. I see many of these on the road up here in Seattle.
http://www.rodcycle.com/index.html

Both of these makers use wheels smaller than 700c for the small frame sizes and even differentially sized wheels (smaller front). Yes it is less conventional and makes tires/tubes harder to find, but a better fit may be worth it.

Find a builder who's local, or at least close enough that you can visit for an in-person fitting. Any advice about wheel sizes and geometry that you get over the phone or internet is going to be useless in your case. Getting into a good tri position with your reduced lumbar flexibility requires a lot of special attention regardless of your height. In addition to fitting and positioning, you and your builder are going to have to work out a combination of frame tubing, seat post, wheels, and seat that will minimize high frequency vibration transfer.

artmichalek said:
Find a builder who's local, or at least close enough that you can visit for an in-person fitting. Any advice about wheel sizes and geometry that you get over the phone or internet is going to be useless in your case. Getting into a good tri position with your reduced lumbar flexibility requires a lot of special attention regardless of your height. In addition to fitting and positioning, you and your builder are going to have to work out a combination of frame tubing, seat post, wheels, and seat that will minimize high frequency vibration transfer.
Some good advice(wheel size) doesn't change when it comes to very small size like in this case.

boudreaux said:
Some good advice(wheel size) doesn't change when it comes to very small size like in this case.
Not a bad generalization, but still a generalization. What works on a standard road bike for a person with a perfect spine doesn't always work on a tri bike for a person with limited lumbar flexibility. I know about as much about the original poster's exact needs as you do, which isn't nearly enough to make any definitive statements.

artmichalek said:
Not a bad generalization, but still a generalization. What works on a standard road bike for a person with a perfect spine doesn't always work on a tri bike for a person with limited lumbar flexibility. I know about as much about the original poster's exact needs as you do, which isn't nearly enough to make any definitive statements.
But you do know that a very small rider with a back issue needs a long TT on a very small framed road bike?? :rolleyes:

boudreaux said:
But you do know that a very small rider with a back issue needs a long TT on a very small framed road bike?? :rolleyes:
I know nothing about 'bents, but some people recomend them for cyclists with back problems.

brennab said:

Brenna
I have very limited lumbar flexibility and find a short effective TT and an upright riding position is the best route to pain free cycling. I have a condition knows as Spondylolisthesis (disc slippage). Also, L5 is fused to the sarcum as is yours and the disc between L4 & L5 is almost gone. Riding in the drops is not really an option for me.

Hope you find what you need.

boudreaux said:
Why are you having so much trouble understanding this? I didn't say anything one way or the other about wheel size. I said that wheels, frame geometry, etc all have to be worked out together to find a solution. Preferably in person. I'm not the one making big sweeping statements without having most of the details.

Don Shipp said:
I know nothing about 'bents, but some people recomend them for cyclists with back problems.

Good point, but I don't think recumbents are allowed in triathlons and she wants a bike for Ironman Canada.

artmichalek said:
Why are you having so much trouble understanding this? I didn't say anything one way or the other about wheel size. I said that wheels, frame geometry, etc all have to be worked out together to find a solution. Preferably in person. I'm not the one making big sweeping statements without having most of the details.
Ever consider ya don't always have to have them all to have some real good insight if you know anything at all?