Biking under the sun to lose weight

Corzhens

May 26, 2015
A friend who is a gym manager told me one time that if I was riding to lose weight then I should ride when there is the hot sun to give me more sweat and thereby lose weight faster. I have tried it several times and as per my observation, the weight loss was practically the same regardless if the sun is out or there is on sun. Maybe it is more effect in the physical effort than in the heat of the sun.

What can you say about that?

Riding or doing any strenuous exercise as the primary way to lose weight is old school and outdated. Some of the biggest advocates on the benefits of regular exercise now admit that you must first address diet if you want to lose weight and then add in exercise to keep you healthy as you lose weight. If you're serious about losing weight, it must begin with your diet. Country to popular belief, exercise, alone, just doesn't burn off enough calories to be an effective weight loss strategy.

Sweating off pounds via riding in the hot sun is mostly about losing fluids and losing fluids is not really losing actual body weight, nor is it particularly healthy. On long rides on hot days, it is actually very important to keep hydrated and replace body fluids lost to sweating. Been down that road, myself, and have seen others who neglected this. Very dangerous.

I agree with North Woods Gal. There is an old saying, "you can't out exercise a bad diet". It's true. For three years I was in the gym 5 days/week and not paying much attention to my diet; I didn't lose much weight at all and became increasingly frustrated. Once I began actually paying attention to what I was eating and fueling my body rather than eating for pleasure all of the time, I dropped 50 pounds in 4 months. No shakes and no pills just eating clean food with no junk and exercising. As far as exercising in the sun, where I live that's a great way to have a heat stroke or some other heat related injury. It's so hot and humid here that if I'm going for a ride (or a run when I was still able to run) it's going to be before 9am otherwise it's just dangerous. As a matter of fact I just recently switched from working out in the evening to working out at 5am because my body just can't do this type of heat anymore. Our gym isn't climate controlled so whatever the temp is outside the temp inside is a bit higher even with all of the garage doors open.

I think that it is not necessary to go out riding under the sun to lose more weight because what is more important is the effort exerted when doing such activities. Also driving under a heavy sun may cause sever injury to you. Instead, you should watch what you eat and be conscious of it in addition to doing physical exercises. This way you can lose weight faster and at the same time helping your body to become healthier.

Actually it doesn't matter if its day or night to lose weight using a bike. As long as you spend the right hours and your body sweats that's it.Cycling helps maintaining our blood circulation and burn fats as well.

Working out at high temperature will cause you to sweat more.
And obviously, sweat has a weight.
Thing is, sweat is - for the scope of this discussion - water.
Weight lost through water loss is as overall useful and sensible as pulling your stomach in and holding your breath to reduce your waist measurement.
Sweat is water, not fat. Fat is used up inside the body, not exuded through the skin. It’s effort and duration that determines the amount of fat you’ve used up, not how soaked you’ve gotten.

I'm glad that you tried it and discovered that it is truly not worth it to try riding in the sun just like that. I feel that the same sweat that you would excrete when you ride in hot sun is the same when you decide to ride when the sun is not much. So, understanding that the sun doesn't play any role is necessary.

Honestly, I think that's risky instead of healthy. First, you have to use proper clothes and sunscreen, otherwise so much sun will burn your skin, and that can bring issues. Also, if you sweat that much, then you will get dehydrated, or you can have kidney problems because of it. Better than burning yourself or dehydrate, why don't you try to get a change on your regular diet, we are what we eat, so if you want to loose weight in a proper way, then you should ask for medical advice.

Cycling under the sun seems like a fast way of losing weight but it is definitely not comfortable for those cyclists who aren't fond of sun's heat. Personally, I don't like cycling under the sun because it irritate me so much and there are more possible disadvantages in that procedure rather than cycling in comfortable time.

Honestly, I think that's risky instead of healthy. First, you have to use proper clothes and sunscreen, otherwise so much sun will burn your skin, and that can bring issues. Also, if you sweat that much, then you will get dehydrated, or you can have kidney problems because of it. Better than burning yourself or dehydrate, why don't you try to get a change on your regular diet, we are what we eat, so if you want to loose weight in a proper way, then you should ask for medical advice.

Adjusting the things that we eat is one of the best ways that we can get to lose weight and not by riding under the sun. I am still surprised that some of us don't understand that. I quite agree with you that the poster should take other measures to shade some pounds instead of using the sun method.

Adjusting the things that we eat is one of the best ways that we can get to lose weight and not by riding under the sun. I am still surprised that some of us don't understand that. I quite agree with you that the poster should take other measures to shade some pounds instead of using the sun method.
Honestly, sometimes we make mistakes just because we ignore the potential consequences. Imagine to be riding, under the tropical sun we have here in my country, I'm talking about a weather were you can easily get 90 F degrees, that's like being on a grill! Even if you could drink a gallon of water at once, your kidneys will suffer easily, you will be loosing all your inner liquids super fast. That's not loosing pounds, that's loosing health.

Honestly, sometimes we make mistakes just because we ignore the potential consequences. Imagine to be riding, under the tropical sun we have here in my country, I'm talking about a weather were you can easily get 90 F degrees, that's like being on a grill! Even if you could drink a gallon of water at once, your kidneys will suffer easily, you will be loosing all your inner liquids super fast. That's not loosing pounds, that's loosing health.
I totally agree with you on the need for some of us to be careful when we are out riding our bikes. It is always advisable that we ride under normal weather condition which is good online doing it under a hot sun.

I think the reason why you got the same result is maybe because when you went for a ride while there is no sun, you have covered a lot more distance and exerted more effort on pedaling compared to what you have made while the sun is out because of exhaustion. It is true that the sun could help our body to sweat but it is kinda tiring when the weather is too hot. It is also dangerous to your skin because of the harmful effects of the rays of the sun. I would suggest you to drink a lot of water before riding under the sun and also bring a water with you. But I think it is much better if you will just take a ride with a cool and warm weather.