Block Party Food

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Michael \Dog3\ Lonergan, Jun 17, 2007.

  1. Went to our annual block party late yesterday afternoon. Lots of good
    eats. I took Damsel's lemon bars which were a big hit, and easy to make.
    There were burgers, hot dogs and bratwurst on the grill and of course the
    usual St. Louis pork steaks. Big, ripe ears of corn on the cobs were also
    grilled. Someone made a huge kettle of spicy chilli which I ate a lot of
    and they also made corn bread (Gawd love 'em). There was baked beans
    (canned I'm pretty sure), Anne's potato salad, a pesto pasta salad which
    was very good, viniagrette cole slaw, a broccoli type slaw with big fat
    raisins in it, a really good egg casserole like thing which looked sort
    of like a fritatta but I'm not sure what it was but it had spinach. No
    one could figure out who brought it so I'm empty handed on a recipe for
    it, so far. There were deviled eggs, Martha Stewart's recipe for mac 'n
    cheese was brought by one of the new neighbors, it was very good. Chips
    and dips,cheeses, crackers beer, soda and bottled water were in
    attendance. There were too many desserts to list. Cakes, brownies, lemon
    bars and a couple of scratch gooey butter cakes. The firemen opened up
    one of the fire hydrants and a really fun time was had by all.

    * Exported from MasterCook *

    Lemon Bars

    Recipe By :Damsel in dis Dress
    Serving Size : 24 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : bars spring/summer

    1 package lemon cake mix with pudding
    1 large egg
    1/2 cup oil
    8 ounces cream cheese -- softened
    1/3 cup sugar
    1 tablespoon lemon juice

    Combine the cake mix, egg and oil. Reserve 1 cup of mixture for the
    topping.

    Pat the rest of mixture in an ungreased 9 x 13 inch pan and bake at 350F
    for 15 minutes.

    Beat cream cheese, sugar and lemon juice until smooth. Spread over baked
    crust. Crumble remaining cake mixture over the top. Bake for an
    additional
    15 minutes. Cool and cut into bars. Store in refrigerator.

    Michael

    --
    Due to recent cutbacks - The light at the end of the tunnel has been
    turned off.

    Tags:

  2. hahabogus

    hahabogus Guest

    "Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan" <dog3@foodiecharter.net> wrote in

    > Went to our annual block party late yesterday afternoon. Lots of good
    > eats. I took Damsel's lemon bars which were a big hit,

    I miss Damsel and her recipes.

    --

    The house of the burning beet-Alan

    Elbonian Folklore