Bob Roll - Heart of American Bicycle Racing

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Tom Kunich, Apr 15, 2008.

  1. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    Without Bob Roll and his color what would American bicycle TV commentary be?

    http://www.esquire.com/the-side/opinion/bobroll070907

    Esquire seems to have gotten it right last year.

    Just looking at Bobke on TV gives me a better feeling about the stinking
    coverage TV is willing to give bicycle racing.

    Tags:

  2. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    "Tom Kunich" <cyclintom@yahoo. com> wrote in message
    > Without Bob Roll and his color what would American bicycle TV commentary
    > be?
    >
    > http://www.esquire.com/the-side/opinion/bobroll070907
    >
    > Esquire seems to have gotten it right last year.
    >
    > Just looking at Bobke on TV gives me a better feeling about the stinking
    > coverage TV is willing to give bicycle racing.

    By the way - anyone that hasn't seen Bobke's commercial can see it on that
    Esquire site. Be ready to laugh pretty loudly.

  3. On Apr 15, 7:58 pm, "Tom Kunich" <cyclintom@yahoo. com> wrote:
    > "Tom Kunich" <cyclintom@yahoo. com> wrote in messagenews:29ednaaU274PwZjVnZ2dnUVZ_jGdnZ2d@earthlink.com...
    >
    > > Without Bob Roll and his color what would American bicycle TV commentary
    > > be?

    > >http://www.esquire.com/the-side/opinion/bobroll070907

    > > Esquire seems to have gotten it right last year.

    > > Just looking at Bobke on TV gives me a better feeling about the stinking
    > > coverage TV is willing to give bicycle racing.

    > By the way - anyone that hasn't seen Bobke's commercial can see it on that
    > Esquire site. Be ready to laugh pretty loudly.

    Yes I like Bob Roll too. A very entertaining person and a true man of
    the road. But I don't follow the link. I don't watch commercial on
    purpose and I question the judgement of this Tom person.

    Credo

  4. credo.digatti@gmail.com wrote:
    > On Apr 15, 7:58 pm, "Tom Kunich" <cyclintom@yahoo. com> wrote:
    >>> Without Bob Roll and his color what would American bicycle TV commentary
    >>> be?
    >>> http://www.esquire.com/the-side/opinion/bobroll070907
    >>> Esquire seems to have gotten it right last year.
    >>> Just looking at Bobke on TV gives me a better feeling about the stinking
    >>> coverage TV is willing to give bicycle racing.

    >> By the way - anyone that hasn't seen Bobke's commercial can see it on that
    >> Esquire site. Be ready to laugh pretty loudly.

    > Yes I like Bob Roll too. A very entertaining person and a true man of
    > the road. But I don't follow the link. I don't watch commercial on
    > purpose and I question the judgement of this Tom person.

    It's a nice enough article. Try the print version without ads:
    http://www.esquire.com/print-this/opinion/bobroll070907

  5. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    <credo.digatti@gmail.com> wrote in message

    > I don't follow the link. I don't watch commercial on
    > purpose and I question the judgement of this Tom person.

    So let me get this straight - you didn't watch it AND you're questioning my
    judgment? Obviously I have to wonder from what point of view you're
    criticizing.

  6. Paul G.

    Paul G. Guest

    On Apr 16, 7:10 am, "Tom Kunich" <cyclintom@yahoo. com> wrote:
    > <credo.diga...@gmail.com> wrote in message

    > > I don't follow the link. I don't watch commercial on
    > > purpose and I question the judgement of this Tom person.

    > So let me get this straight - you didn't watch it AND you're questioning my
    > judgment? Obviously I have to wonder from what point of view you're
    > criticizing.

    I watched it and did think "Hey... I'm deliberately watching a
    commercial...weird." However, it IS a bike commercial, and it's a
    perfect example of Bob Roll's brand of humor, so thanks for pointing
    it out.
    -Paul

  7. <credo.digatti@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >> But I don't follow the link. I don't watch commercial on
    >>purpose

    You can meet a lot of hot chicks on commercials.

    I remember the Kokanee Beer add with those three
    hotties wearing the little white bikinis while they
    were snow boarding down the mountain.

  8. On Apr 16, 11:33 am, "Fabrizio Mazzoleni" <jma...@comcast.com> wrote:
    > <credo.diga...@gmail.com> wrote in message

    > >> But I don't follow the link. I don't watch commercial on
    > >>purpose

    > You can meet a lot of hot chicks on commercials.

    It is in the human female nature to advertise.

  9. Donald Munro

    Donald Munro Guest

    SLAVE of THE STATE wrote:
    > It is in the human female nature to advertise.

    And all us suckers keep falling for it.

  10. Tom Kunich wrote:
    > Without Bob Roll and his color what would American bicycle TV commentary
    > be?
    >
    > http://www.esquire.com/the-side/opinion/bobroll070907
    >
    > Esquire seems to have gotten it right last year.
    >
    > Just looking at Bobke on TV gives me a better feeling about the stinking
    > coverage TV is willing to give bicycle racing.

    Bob Roll causes global warming.

  11. In article <XpedndmAYrxQL5vVnZ2dnUVZ_tLinZ2d@comcast.com>,
    Fred Fredburger <FredFredburger@WhereAreTheNachos.Huh> wrote:

    > Tom Kunich wrote:
    > > Without Bob Roll and his color what would American bicycle TV commentary
    > > be?
    > >
    > > http://www.esquire.com/the-side/opinion/bobroll070907
    > >
    > > Esquire seems to have gotten it right last year.
    > >
    > > Just looking at Bobke on TV gives me a better feeling about the stinking
    > > coverage TV is willing to give bicycle racing.
    > >

    > Bob Roll causes global warming.

    I knew there was a reason I liked him so much!

    --
    Ryan Cousineau rcousine@gmail.com http://www.wiredcola.com/

  12. Ryan Cousineau wrote:
    > In article <XpedndmAYrxQL5vVnZ2dnUVZ_tLinZ2d@comcast.com>,
    > Fred Fredburger <FredFredburger@WhereAreTheNachos.Huh> wrote:
    >
    >> Tom Kunich wrote:
    >>> Without Bob Roll and his color what would American bicycle TV commentary
    >>> be?
    >>>
    >>> http://www.esquire.com/the-side/opinion/bobroll070907
    >>>
    >>> Esquire seems to have gotten it right last year.
    >>>
    >>> Just looking at Bobke on TV gives me a better feeling about the stinking
    >>> coverage TV is willing to give bicycle racing.
    >>>

    >> Bob Roll causes global warming.

    > I knew there was a reason I liked him so much!

    You're an evil, evil man.

  13. In article <yfednR5C38kXW5vVnZ2dnUVZ_ovinZ2d@comcast.com>,
    Fred Fredburger <FredFredburger@WhereAreTheNachos.Huh> wrote:

    > Ryan Cousineau wrote:
    > > In article <XpedndmAYrxQL5vVnZ2dnUVZ_tLinZ2d@comcast.com>,
    > > Fred Fredburger <FredFredburger@WhereAreTheNachos.Huh> wrote:

    > >> Bob Roll causes global warming.

    > > I knew there was a reason I liked him so much!

    > You're an evil, evil man.

    No, I'm Canadian. Have you heard of it? We watch American television.

    I seem much nicer after a drink,

    --

  14. Ryan Cousineau wrote:
    > In article <yfednR5C38kXW5vVnZ2dnUVZ_ovinZ2d@comcast.com>,
    > Fred Fredburger <FredFredburger@WhereAreTheNachos.Huh> wrote:
    >
    >> Ryan Cousineau wrote:

    >>> I knew there was a reason I liked him so much!

    >> You're an evil, evil man.

    > No, I'm Canadian. Have you heard of it?

    I don't care. Anyone who encourages Bob Roll to produce more greenhouse
    gases is evil!

    >We watch American television.

    Don't pretend to be normal with ME! I've been to Canada. I saw the most
    BIZARRE thing ever in Victoria B.C. Absolutely inexplicable.

    http://beeblebrox.endoftheinternet.org/Munros.JPG

    What is the meaning of this? If it'd been a liquor store, or even an
    ice cream parlor, I could get my brain around it. But this?!?

    > I seem much nicer after a drink,

    I seem much nicer when I'm catatonic.

  15. On Apr 16, 4:17 am, Ted van de Weteringe
    <myfulln...@xs4all.nl.invalid> wrote:
    > credo.diga...@gmail.com wrote:
    > >> By the way - anyone that hasn't seen Bobke's commercial can see it on that
    > >> Esquire site. Be ready to laugh pretty loudly.

    > > Yes I like Bob Roll too. A very entertaining person and a true man of
    > > the road. But I don't follow the link. I don't watch commercial on
    > > purpose and I question the judgement of this Tom person.

    > It's a nice enough article. Try the print version without ads:
    > http://www.esquire.com/print-this/opinion/bobroll070907

    It's a perceptive article. But Bob Roll is not the
    heart of American bicycle racing. Bob Leibold is
    the heart of American bicycle racing. Kurgan will
    back me up on this.

    Ben

  16. In article <neudnTJ0-7s1f5vVnZ2dnUVZ_vmlnZ2d@comcast.com>,
    Fred Fredburger <FredFredburger@Where.Are.The.Nachos> wrote:

    > Ryan Cousineau wrote:
    > > In article <yfednR5C38kXW5vVnZ2dnUVZ_ovinZ2d@comcast.com>,
    > > Fred Fredburger <FredFredburger@WhereAreTheNachos.Huh> wrote:

    > >> You're an evil, evil man.

    > > No, I'm Canadian. Have you heard of it?

    > I don't care. Anyone who encourages Bob Roll to produce more greenhouse
    > gases is evil!
    >
    > >We watch American television.

    > Don't pretend to be normal with ME! I've been to Canada. I saw the most
    > BIZARRE thing ever in Victoria B.C. Absolutely inexplicable.
    >
    > http://beeblebrox.endoftheinternet.org/Munros.JPG
    >
    > What is the meaning of this? If it'd been a liquor store, or even an
    > ice cream parlor, I could get my brain around it. But this?!?

    Victoria is a wonderful, terrible place. They have their own velodrome,
    you know?

  17. On Apr 16, 1:37 pm, Donald Munro <fat-dumb...@hotmail.com> wrote:
    > SLAVE of THE STATE wrote:
    >
    > > It is in the human female nature to advertise.

    > And all us suckers keep falling for it.

    _Little T A_ -- Rolling Stones
    She's my little rock and roll, ah, ah, ah, ah
    Oh, oh, she's my little rock and roll, baby

    The heat's raiding, tracks are fading
    Joint's rocking, could be anytime at all
    But the bitch keeps bitching, the snitcher keeps snitching
    Dropping names and telephone number and all, ah

    She's my little rock and roll, ah, ah, ah
    Oh, oh, she's my little rock and roll, ah, ah, ah

    Scars healing, the dealers squealing
    The pool's in but the patio ain't dry
    Well the sense is sensing that the juice keeps pumping
    And I know why

    She's my little rock and roll, ah, ah, ah
    My tits and ass with soul, baby
    She's my little rock and roll, ah, ah, ah,
    Oh, oh, she's my little rock and roll, ah
    You got to shock them, show them
    She's my little rock and roll, yeah
    Shock, shock, shock, my, my, my

    Well the sense is sensing that the juice keeps pumping
    And I know why
    But the bitch keeps bitching, the snitcher keeps snitching
    Dropping names and telephone number and all but said all

    She's my little rock and roll, ah, ah, ah
    My tits and ass with soul, baby
    She's my little rock and roll, yeah
    Got to shock them, show them
    She's my little rock and roll, ah, ah, ah
    She's got a feeling to know, baby
    She's my little rock and roll
    Ahhh, the little bitch got soul
    She's my little rock and roll ah,