Borrowing A Bike

I actually grew up borrowing a bike although most of the time it is the bike for rent that I ride. My father could afford to buy me a bike but my mother was against it. You see, we were apartment dwellers and I was born and raised in Makati, that's now the central business district of our country. So you can imagine the risk of a young girl on the bike in the streets with those vehicles that often cause heavy traffic. It was just fortunate that bikes for rent was in fashion during those days. There is no more bike for rent nowadays.

"Have you ever borrowed a bike to go cycling?"

In 1972 I made the serious mistake of taking up a friend on his offer to loan me a Schwinn Continental 10-speed road bike in order to assist me in recovering from surgery.

It's been an expensive addiction from that day until now.

"What do you do when you are away from home?"

Ship one of my bikes ahead to my destination, stash a bike or two at my destination, load up the bikes on the car or truck if I'm driving or buy a bike where I'm vacationing and ship it home or haul it back with me.

Lots of times...

I used loaners when I went for some excursions with a tour company ( which was good because the tours were mostly on dirt).

I also did borrow bikes from friends when traveling.

Two notable ones were a free street bike in Copenhagen, wrong size and a town bike from a friend in Amsterdam with a lose stem and coaster brake only. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJsX0d_FIqk

When we were kids we use to ride each others bike all the time. But now that we are older and bikes have become so much more expensive, there is no way we are going to let our $1000 usd bike out for a couple of hours in a day. I wouldn't. would you?

I've only borrowed a bike once or twice. I believe it was a friends or it was my sisters, I can't remember exactly. What I do remember is that I did not like it one bit.

I'm very personal when it comes to things, as in I only really feel comfortable with using stuff that is mine, so as you can imagine using something belonging to someone else was not too good a feeling.